- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 712783, 10 pages
A Hybrid Approach of Using Symmetry Technique for Brain Tumor Segmentation
1Department of Computer Science, COMSATS Institute of Information Technology, Abbottabad, Pakistan
2Department of Information Science, College of Computing Sciences and Engineering, Kuwait University, Kuwait
Received 24 June 2013; Revised 30 December 2013; Accepted 9 January 2014; Published 9 March 2014
Academic Editor: Seungryong Cho
Copyright © 2014 Mubbashar Saddique et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. F. Chan and L. A. Vese, “Active contours without edges,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 266–277, 2001.
- J. Zhang, K. kuang Ma, and M. H. V. Er, “Tumor segmentation from magnetic resonance imaging by learning via one-class support vector machine,” in Proceedings of the International Workshop on Advanced Image Technology, pp. 207–211, 2004.
- P. Gibbs, D. L. Buckley, S. J. Blackband, and A. Horsman, “Tumour volume determination from MR images by morphological segmentation,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 2437–2446, 1996.
- D. Gering, W. Grimson, and R. Kikinis, “Recognizing deviations from normalcy for brain tumor segmentation,” in Proceedings of the Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention Conference (MICCAI '02), T. Dohi and R. Kikinis, Eds., vol. 2488 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 388–395, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2002.
- S. X. Liu, “Symmetry and asymmetry analysis and its implications to computer-aided diagnosis: a review of the literature,” Journal of Biomedical Informatics, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 1056–1064, 2009.
- “Hybrid segmentation methods,” in Insight into Images: Principles and Prac-Tice for Segmentation, Registration, and Image Analysis, C. Imielinska, Y. Jin, E. Angelini et al., Eds., K. Peters, 2004.
- T. McInerney and D. Terzopoulos, “Deformable models in medical image analysis: a survey,” Medical Image Analysis, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 91–108, 1996.
- S. Hu and D. L. Collins, “Joint level-set shape modeling and appearance modeling for brain structure segmentation,” NeuroImage, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 672–683, 2007.
- M. R. Kaus, S. K. Warfield, A. Nabavi, P. M. Black, F. A. Jolesz, and R. Kikinis, “Automated segmentation of MR images of brain tumors,” Radiology, vol. 218, no. 2, pp. 586–591, 2001.
- M. J. Atallah, “On symmetry detection,” IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol. C-34, no. 7, pp. 663–666, 1985.
- V. S. N. Prasad and B. Yegnanarayana, “Finding axes of symmetry from potential fields,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 1559–1566, 2004.
- D. Shen, H. H. S. Ip, K. K. T. Cheung, and E. K. Teoh, “Symmetrydetection by generalized complex (gc) moments: a close-form solution,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 21, pp. 466–476, 1999.
- A. V. Tuzikov, O. Colliot, and I. Bloch, “Evaluation of the symmetry plane in 3D MR brain images,” Pattern Recognition Letters, vol. 24, no. 14, pp. 2219–2233, 2003.
- F. Jiao, D. Fu, and S. Bi, “Brain image segmentation based on bilateral symmetry information,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedical Engineering (iCBBE '08), pp. 1951–1954, May 2006.
- N. Ray, B. N. Saha, and M. R. G. Brown, “Locating brain tumors from MR imagery using symmetry,” in Proceedings of the 41st Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers (ACSSC '07), pp. 224–228, November 2007.
- M. Mancas, B. Gosselin, and B. Macq, “Fast and automatic tumoral area localisation using symmetry,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP '05), pp. II725–II728, March 2005.
- H. Khotanlou, O. Colliot, J. Atif, and I. Bloch, “3D brain tumor segmentation in MRI using fuzzy classification, symmetry analysis and spatially constrained deformable models,” Fuzzy Sets and Systems, vol. 160, no. 10, pp. 1457–1473, 2009.