Conference Papers in Materials Science
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 243023, 3 pages
Anaerobic Biodegradability of Agricultural Renewable Fibers
Corporate Research and Engineering, Kimberly-Clark Corporation, Neenah, WI 54956, USA
Received 18 June 2013; Accepted 8 September 2013
Academic Editors: R. Fangueiro and H. Hong
Copyright © 2013 Bo Shi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Chandra, Use of nonwood plant fibers for pulp and paper industry in Asia: potential in China [M.S. thesis], Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA, USA, 1998.
- D. Raymond and G. Closset, “Forest products biorefinery: technology for a new future,” Solutions, vol. 87, no. 9, pp. 49–53, 2004.
- S. S. Kelley, “Forest biorefineries: reality, hype or something in between?” Paper Age, vol. 122, no. 2, pp. 46–48, 2006.
- A. Leponiemi, A. Johansson, and K. Sipilä, “Assessment of combined straw pulp and energy production,” BioResources, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 1094–1104, 2011.
- J. M. Won and A. Armed, “Corn stalk as a raw material for papermaking,” in Proceedings of the 58th Appita Annual Conference and Exhibition, pp. 5–11, Melbourne, Australia, April 2004.
- R. W. Hurter, Nonwood Plant Fiber Uses in Papermaking, 2001.
- J. Atchison, “Update on global use of non-wood plant fibers and some prospects for their greater use in the United States,” in Proceedings of the North American Non-wood Fiber Symposium, Atlanta, GA, USA, 1998.
- A. Ahmed and J. Y. Zhu, “Cornstalk as a source of fiber and energy,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Emerging Technology of Pulping and Papermaking, Guangzhou, China, 2006.
- “Standard test method for determining the anaerobic biodegradation of plastic materials in the presence of municipal sewage sludge,” ASTM D5210-92, American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, PA, USA, 1992.
- B. Shi and D. Palfery, “Temperature-dependent polylactic acid (PLA) anaerobic biodegradability,” International Journal of Environment and Waste Management, vol. 10, no. 2-3, pp. 297–306, 2012.
- M. Itävaara and M. Vikman, “An overview of methods for biodegradability testing of biopolymers and packaging materials,” Journal of Environmental Polymer Degradation, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 29–36, 1996.
- D. Singh, J. Zeng, D. D. Laskar, L. Deobald, W. C. Hiscox, and S. Chen, “Investigation of wheat straw biodegradation by Phanerochaete chrysosporium,” Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 1030–1040, 2011.
- Z. Song, G. Yang, Y. Guo, and T. Zhang, “Comprison of two chemical pretreatments of rice straw for biogas production by anaerobic digestion,” Bioresources, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 3223–3236, 2012.
- T. Richard, “The effect of lignin on biodegradability,” Cornell Composting, 1996, http://compost.css.cornell.edu/calc/lignin.html.
- B. Shi, C. Bunyard, and D. Palfery, “Plant polymer biodegradation in relation to global carbon management,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 401–404, 2010.