- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Cardiovascular Psychiatry and Neurology
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 278531, 7 pages
Breaching the Blood-Brain Barrier as a Gate to Psychiatric Disorder
1Department of Psychiatry, Soroka University Medical Center; Zlotowski Center for Neuroscience, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva 84105, Israel
2Department of Physiology and Neurosurgery, Soroka University Medical Center; Zlotowski Center for Neuroscience, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva 84105, Israel
Received 2 April 2009; Accepted 4 July 2009
Academic Editor: Hari Manev
Copyright © 2009 Hadar Shalev et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [18 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- A. Rai, S. K. Maurya, P. Khare, A. Srivastava, and S. Bandyopadhyay, “Characterization of Developmental Neurotoxicity of As, Cd, and Pb Mixture: Synergistic Action of Metal Mixture in Glial and Neuronal Functions,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 586–601, 2010.
- Alfredo Pereira, and Fabio Augusto Furlan, “Astrocytes and human cognition: Modeling information integration and modula tion of neuronal activity,” Progress in Neurobiology, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 405–420, 2010.
- Philipp Gormanns, Nikola S. Mueller, Claudia Ditzen, Simone Wolf, Florian Holsboer, and Christoph W. Turck, “Phenome-transcriptome correlation unravels anxiety and depression related pathways,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 45, no. 7, pp. 973–979, 2011.
- Nadia Shihab, Jon Bowen, and Holger A. Volk, “Behavioral changes in dogs associated with the development of idiopathic ep ilepsy,” Epilepsy & Behavior, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 160–167, 2011.
- Monojit Debnath, Karen M. Doyle, Camilla Langan, Colm McDonald, Brian Leonard, and Dara M. Cannon, “Recent Advances In Psychoneuroimmunology: Inflammation In Psychiatric Disor Ders,” Translational Neuroscience, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 121–137, 2011.
- William J. Trickler, Susan M. Lantz, Richard C. Murdock, Amanda M. Schrand, Bonnie L. Robinson, Glenn D. Newport, John J. Schlager, Steven J. Oldenburg, Merle G. Paule, William Slikker, Saber M. Hussain, and Syed F. Ali, “Brain microvessel endothelial cells responses to gold nanoparticles: In vit ro pro-inflammatory mediators and permeability,” Nanotoxicology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 479–492, 2011.
- Richard Kovács, Ismini Papageorgiou, and Uwe Heinemann, “Slice Cultures as a Model to Study Neurovascular Coupling and Blood Brain Barrier In Vitro,” Cardiovascular Psychiatry and Neurology, vol. 2011, pp. 1–9, 2011.
- Danica B. Stanimirovic, and Alon Friedman, “Pathophysiology of the neurovascular unit: disease cause or consequence?,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 1207–1221, 2012.
- William J. Trickler, Susan M. Lantz, Amanda M. Schrand, Bonnie L. Robinson, Glenn D. Newport, John J. Schlager, Merle G. Paule, William Slikker, Alexandru S. Biris, Saber M. Hussain, and Syed F. Ali, “Effects of copper nanoparticles on rat cerebral microvessel endothelial cel ls,” Nanomedicine, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 835–846, 2012.
- Johann Steiner, Bernhard Bogerts, Zoltan Sarnyai, Martin Walter, Tomasz Gos, Hans-Gert Bernstein, and Aye-Mu Myint, “Bridging the gap between the immune and glutamate hypotheses of schizophren ia and major depression: Potential role of glial NMDA receptor modulators a nd impaired blood-brain barrier integrity,” World Journal of Biological Psychiatry, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 482–492, 2012.
- Yuhei Nishimura, Kenichiro Yata, Tsuyoshi Nomoto, Tomoaki Ogiwara, Kohei Watanabe, Taichi Shintou, Akira Tsuboyama, Mie Okano, Noriko Umemoto, Zi Zhang, Miko Kawabata, Beibei Zhang, Junya Kuroyanagi, Yasuhito Shimada, Takeshi Miyazaki, Takeshi Imamura, Hidekazu Tomimoto, and Toshio Tanaka, “Identification of a Novel Indoline Derivative for in Vivo Fluorescent Imaging of Blood-Brain Barrier Disruption in Animal Models,” ACS Chemical Neuroscience, pp. 130523084400005, 2013.
- Souhel Najjar, Daniel M. Pearlman, Kenneth Alper, Amanda Najjar, and Orrin Devinsky, “Neuroinflammation and psychiatric illness,” Journal of Neuroinflammation, vol. 10, 2013.
- Suzanne J. Hodgkinson, “Immune dysregulation and autoimmunity in bipolar disorder: Synthesis of the evidence and its clinical application,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 47, no. 12, pp. 1136–1151, 2013.
- Daniel M. Pearlman, Orrin Devinsky, Amanda Najjar, and David Zagzag, “Neurovascular unit dysfunction with blood-brain barrier hyperpermeability c ontributes to major depressive disorder: a review of clinical and experimen tal evidence,” Journal of Neuroinflammation, vol. 10, 2013.
- William J. Trickler, Susan M. Lantz-McPeak, Bonnie L. Robinson, Merle G. Paule, William Slikker, Alexandru S. Biris, John J. Schlager, Saber M. Hussain, Jyotshna Kanungo, Carmen Gonzalez, and Syed F. Ali, “Porcine brain microvessel endothelial cells show pro-inflammatory response to the size and composition of metallic nanoparticles,” Drug Metabolism Reviews, pp. 1–8, 2013.
- Daniel Pearlman, Tracy Butler, David Zagzag, Amanda Najjar, Siddhartha Nadkarni, and Orrin Devinsky, “Neuropsychiatric Autoimmune Encephalitis without VGKC-Complex, NMDAR, and G AD Autoantibodies: Case Report and Literature Review,” Cognitive And Behavioral Neurology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 36–49, 2013.
- Daniel M. Pearlman, and Souhel Najjar, “Meta-analysis of the association between N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor antibodies and schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, bipolar disorder, and major depressive disorder,” Schizophrenia Research, vol. 157, no. 1-3, pp. 249–258, 2014.
- April R. Wiechmann, Leigh A. Johnson, Melissa Edwards, Robert C. Barber, Rebecca Cunningham, Meharvan Singh, and Sid E. O'Bryant, “The Impact of APOE Status on Relationship of Biomarkers of Vascular Risk and Systemic Inflammation to Neuropsychiatric Symptoms in Alzheimer's Disease,” Journal of Alzheimers Disease, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 887–896, 2014.