- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Cardiovascular Psychiatry and Neurology
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 278531, 7 pages
Breaching the Blood-Brain Barrier as a Gate to Psychiatric Disorder
1Department of Psychiatry, Soroka University Medical Center; Zlotowski Center for Neuroscience, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva 84105, Israel
2Department of Physiology and Neurosurgery, Soroka University Medical Center; Zlotowski Center for Neuroscience, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva 84105, Israel
Received 2 April 2009; Accepted 4 July 2009
Academic Editor: Hari Manev
Copyright © 2009 Hadar Shalev et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [37 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- A. Rai, S. K. Maurya, P. Khare, A. Srivastava, and S. Bandyopadhyay, “Characterization of Developmental Neurotoxicity of As, Cd, and Pb Mixture: Synergistic Action of Metal Mixture in Glial and Neuronal Functions,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 586–601, 2010.
- Alfredo Pereira, and Fabio Augusto Furlan, “Astrocytes and human cognition: Modeling information integration and modulation of neuronal activity,” Progress In Neurobiology, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 405–420, 2010.
- Shaheen E Lakhan, Karen Vieira, and Elissa Hamlat, “Biomarkers in psychiatry: drawbacks and potential for misuse.,” International archives of medicine, vol. 3, pp. 1, 2010.
- Philipp Gormanns, Nikola S. Mueller, Claudia Ditzen, Simone Wolf, Florian Holsboer, and Christoph W. Turck, “Phenome-transcriptome correlation unravels anxiety and depression related pathways,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 45, no. 7, pp. 973–979, 2011.
- Nadia Shihab, Jon Bowen, and Holger A. Volk, “Behavioral changes in dogs associated with the development of idiopathic epilepsy,” Epilepsy & Behavior, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 160–167, 2011.
- Monojit Debnath, Karen M. Doyle, Camilla Langan, Colm McDonald, Brian Leonard, and Dara M. Cannon, “Recent Advances In Psychoneuroimmunology: Inflammation In Psychiatric Disorders,” Translational Neuroscience, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 121–137, 2011.
- William J. Trickler, Susan M. Lantz, Richard C. Murdock, Amanda M. Schrand, Bonnie L. Robinson, Glenn D. Newport, John J. Schlager, Steven J. Oldenburg, Merle G. Paule, William Slikker, Saber M. Hussain, and Syed F. Ali, “Brain microvessel endothelial cells responses to gold nanoparticles: In vitro pro-inflammatory mediators and permeability,” Nanotoxicology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 479–492, 2011.
- Richard Kovács, Ismini Papageorgiou, and Uwe Heinemann, “Slice Cultures as a Model to Study Neurovascular Coupling and Blood Brain Barrier In Vitro,” Cardiovascular Psychiatry and Neurology, vol. 2011, pp. 1–9, 2011.
- Danica B. Stanimirovic, and Alon Friedman, “Pathophysiology of the neurovascular unit: disease cause or consequence?,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 1207–1221, 2012.
- William J. Trickler, Susan M. Lantz, Amanda M. Schrand, Bonnie L. Robinson, Glenn D. Newport, John J. Schlager, Merle G. Paule, William Slikker, Alexandru S. Biris, Saber M. Hussain, and Syed F. Ali, “Effects of copper nanoparticles on rat cerebral microvessel endothelial cells,” Nanomedicine, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 835–846, 2012.
- Stefan Busse, Mandy Busse, Kolja Schiltz, Hendrik Bielau, Tomasz Gos, Ralf Brisch, Christian Mawrin, Andrea Schmitt, Wolfgang Jordan, Ulf J. Müller, Hans-Gert Bernstein, Bernhard Bogerts, and Johann Steiner, “Different distribution patterns of lymphocytes and microglia in the hippocampus of patients with residual versus paranoid schizophrenia: Further evidence for disease course-related immune alterations?,” Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 1273–1279, 2012.
- Karl Schoknecht, and Hadar Shalev, “Blood-brain barrier dysfunction in brain diseases: Clinical experience,” Epilepsia, vol. 53, pp. 7–13, 2012.
- Johann Steiner, Bernhard Bogerts, Zoltan Sarnyai, Martin Walter, Tomasz Gos, Hans-Gert Bernstein, and Aye-Mu Myint, “Bridging the gap between the immune and glutamate hypotheses of schizophren ia and major depression: Potential role of glial NMDA receptor modulators a nd impaired blood-brain barrier integrity,” World Journal of Biological Psychiatry, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 482–492, 2012.
- Yuhei Nishimura, Kenichiro Yata, Tsuyoshi Nomoto, Tomoaki Ogiwara, Kohei Watanabe, Taichi Shintou, Akira Tsuboyama, Mie Okano, Noriko Umemoto, Zi Zhang, Miko Kawabata, Beibei Zhang, Junya Kuroyanagi, Yasuhito Shimada, Takeshi Miyazaki, Takeshi Imamura, Hidekazu Tomimoto, and Toshio Tanaka, “Identification of a Novel Indoline Derivative for in Vivo Fluorescent Imaging of Blood-Brain Barrier Disruption in Animal Models,” ACS Chemical Neuroscience, pp. 130523084400005, 2013.
- Souhel Najjar, Daniel M. Pearlman, Kenneth Alper, Amanda Najjar, and Orrin Devinsky, “Neuroinflammation and psychiatric illness,” Journal of Neuroinflammation, vol. 10, 2013.
- Souhel Najjar, Daniel M. Pearlman, Orrin Devinsky, Amanda Najjar, and David Zagzag, “Neurovascular unit dysfunction with blood-brain barrier hyperpermeability contributes to major depressive disorder: a review of clinical and experimental evidence,” Journal of Neuroinflammation, vol. 10, 2013.
- Sanil Rege, and Suzanne J. Hodgkinson, “Immune dysregulation and autoimmunity in bipolar disorder: Synthesis of the evidence and its clinical application,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 47, no. 12, pp. 1136–1151, 2013.
- William J. Trickler, Susan M. Lantz-McPeak, Bonnie L. Robinson, Merle G. Paule, William Slikker, Alexandru S. Biris, John J. Schlager, Saber M. Hussain, Jyotshna Kanungo, Carmen Gonzalez, and Syed F. Ali, “Porcine brain microvessel endothelial cells show pro-inflammatory response to the size and composition of metallic nanoparticles,” Drug Metabolism Reviews, pp. 1–8, 2013.
- Souhel Najjar, Tracy Butler, David Zagzag, Daniel Pearlman, Orrin Devinsky, Amanda Najjar, and Siddhartha Nadkarni, “Neuropsychiatric Autoimmune Encephalitis without VGKC-Complex, NMDAR, and GAD Autoantibodies: Case Report and Literature Review,” Cognitive And Behavioral Neurology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 36–49, 2013.
- Katarzyna Stebelska, “Fungal Hallucinogens Psilocin, Ibotenic Acid, and Muscimol: Analytical Methods and Biologic Activities,” Therapeutic Drug Monitoring, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 420–442, 2013.
- Tatiana P. Schnieder, Iskra Trencevska, Gorazd Rosoklija, Aleksandr Stankov, J. John Mann, John Smiley, and Andrew J. Dwork, “Microglia of Prefrontal White Matter in Suicide,” Journal of Neuropathology & Experimental Neurology, vol. 73, no. 9, pp. 880–890, 2014.
- C.L. Nemeth, M. Bekhbat, and G.N. Neigh, “Neural Effects of Inflammation, Cardiovascular Disease, and HIV: Parallel, Perpendicular, or Progressive?,” Neuroscience, 2014.
- Daniel M. Pearlman, and Souhel Najjar, “Meta-analysis of the association between N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor antibodies and schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, bipolar disorder, and major depressive disorder,” Schizophrenia Research, vol. 157, no. 1-3, pp. 249–258, 2014.
- Tatiana Falcone, Damir Janigro, Rachel Lovell, Barry Simon, Charles A. Brown, Mariela Herrera, Aye Mu Mynt, and Amit Anand, “S100B Blood Levels and Childhood Trauma in Adolescent Inpatients,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, 2014.
- April R. Wiechmann, Leigh A. Johnson, Melissa Edwards, Robert C. Barber, Rebecca Cunningham, Meharvan Singh, and Sid E. O'Bryant, “The Impact of APOE Status on Relationship of Biomarkers of Vascular Risk and Systemic Inflammation to Neuropsychiatric Symptoms in Alzheimer's Disease,” Journal of Alzheimers Disease, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 887–896, 2014.
- Juhua Pan, Xiaoming Lei, Jialong Wang, Shijing Huang, Yanyun Wang, Ying Zhang, Wen Chen, Duojiao Li, Jun Zheng, Hanming Cui, and Qihua Liu, “Effects of Kaixinjieyu, a Chinese herbal medicine preparation, on neurovascular unit dysfunction in rats with vascular depression,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 15, no. 1, 2015.
- Ganna Androsova, Roland Krause, Georg Winterer, and Reinhard Schneider, “Biomarkers of postoperative delirium and cognitive dysfunction,” Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience, vol. 7, 2015.
- Ganna Androsova, Roland Krause, Georg Winterer, and Reinhard Schneider, “Biomarkers of postoperative delirium and cognitive dysfunction,” Frontiers In Aging Neuroscience, vol. 7, 2015.
- Naghmeh Nikkheslat, Patricia A. Zunszain, Mark A. Horowitz, Izabela G. Barbosa, Jennie A. Parker, Aye-Mu Myint, Markus J. Schwarz, Andre T. Tylee, Livia A. Carvalho, and Carmine M. Pariante, “Insufficient glucocorticoid signalling and elevated inflammation in coronary heart disease patients with comorbid depression,” Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, 2015.
- E. I. Chukanova, A. N. Bogolepova, and A. S. Chukanova, “An experience of using divasa in the treatment of cerebrovascular insufficiency,” Zhurnal nevrologii i psikhiatrii im. S.S. Korsakova, vol. 115, no. 6, pp. 17, 2015.
- E. I. Gusev, and A. S. Chukanova, “Modern pathogenetic aspects of development of cerebral chronic ischemia,” Zhurnal nevrologii i psikhiatrii im. S.S. Korsakova, vol. 115, no. 3, pp. 4, 2015.
- Marc Fakhoury, “Role of Immunity and Inflammation in the Pathophysiology of Neurodegenerative Diseases,” Neurodegenerative Diseases, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 63–69, 2015.
- Jiyeong Lee, Eun-Jeong Joo, Hee-Joung Lim, Jong-Moon Park, Kyu Young Lee, Arum Park, AeEun Seok, HooKeun Lee, and Hee-Gyoo Kang, “Proteomic Analysis of Serum from Patients with Major Depressive Disorder to Compare Their Depressive and Remission Statuses,” Psychiatry Investigation, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 249, 2015.
- Carolin Hoffmann, Shenghua Zong, Marina Mané-Damas, Peter Molenaar, Mario Losen, and Pilar Martinez-Martinez, “Autoantibodies in Neuropsychiatric Disorders,” Antibodies, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 9, 2016.
- Valentino Rački, Daniela Petrić, Natalia Kučić, Nika Gržeta, Kristina Jurdana, and Ika Rončević-Gržeta, “Cortical gray matter loss in schizophrenia: Could microglia be the culprit?,” Medical Hypotheses, 2016.
- I Loryan, E Melander, M Svensson, M Payan, F König, B Jansson, and M Hammarlund-Udenaes, “In-depth neuropharmacokinetic analysis of antipsychotics based on a novel approach to estimate unbound target-site concentration in CNS regions: link to spatial receptor occupancy,” Molecular Psychiatry, 2016.
- Filip Ventorp, Cecilie Bay-Richter, Analise Sauro, Shorena Janelidze, Viktor Sjödahl Matsson, Jack Lipton, Ulrika Nordström, Åsa Westrin, Patrik Brundin, and Lena Brundin, “Exendin-4 prevents behavioural despair and increases striatal dopamine in rats with inflammation-induced depression,” Journal of Affective Disorders, 2016.