- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Cardiovascular Psychiatry and Neurology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 616572, 8 pages
Association of Ultrasonographic Parameters with Subclinical White-Matter Hyperintensities in Hypertensive Patients
1Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, Democritus University of Thrace, Alexandroupolis, Greece
2Department of Biostatistics, School of Medicine, Democritus University of Thrace, Alexandroupolis, Greece
Received 22 May 2012; Accepted 3 July 2012
Academic Editor: Richard C. Veith
Copyright © 2012 Ioannis Heliopoulos et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Patel and H. S. Markus, “Magnetic resonance imaging in cerebral small vessel disease and its use as a surrogate disease marker,” International Journal of Stroke, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 47–59, 2011.
- A. A. Gouw, A. Seewann, W. M. van der Flier et al., “Heterogeneity of small vessel disease: a systematic review of MRI and histopathology correlations,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 126–135, 2011.
- S. E. Vermeer, W. T. Longstreth Jr., and P. J. Koudstaal, “Silent brain infarcts: a systematic review,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 611–619, 2007.
- F. Feihl, L. Liaudet, and B. Waeber, “The macrocirculation and microcirculation of hypertension,” Current Hypertension Reports, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 182–189, 2009.
- D. E. Grobbee and M. L. Bots, “Carotid artery intima-media thickness as an indicator of generalized atherosclerosis,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 236, no. 5, pp. 567–573, 1994.
- A. E. Roher, Z. Garami, A. V. Alexandrov et al., “Interaction of cardiovascular disease and neurodegeneration: transcranial Doppler ultrasonography and Alzheimer's disease,” Neurological Research, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 672–678, 2006.
- A. Kearney-Schwartz, P. Rossignol, S. Bracard et al., “Vascular structure and function is correlated to cognitive performance and white matter hyperintensities in older hypertensive patients with subjective memory complaints,” Stroke, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 1229–1236, 2009.
- S. D. Shenkin, M. E. Bastin, T. J. MacGillivray et al., “Carotid intima-media thickness and cerebrovascular disease in community-dwelling older people without stroke,” Stroke, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 2083–2086, 2010.
- C. S. Kidwell, S. El-Saden, Z. Livshits, N. A. Martin, T. C. Glenn, and J. L. Saver, “Transcranial Doppler pulsatility indices as a measure of diffuse small-vessel disease,” Journal of Neuroimaging, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 229–235, 2001.
- M. Kurata, T. Okura, S. Watanabe, and J. Higaki, “Association between carotid hemodynamics and asymptomatic white and gray matter lesions in patients with essential hypertension,” Hypertension Research, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 797–803, 2005.
- G. Tsivgoulis, E. Stamboulis, V. K. Sharma et al., “Multicenter external validation of the ABCD2 score in triaging TIA patients,” Neurology, vol. 74, no. 17, pp. 1351–1357, 2010.
- J. Heliopoulos, K. Vadikolias, P. Mitsias et al., “A three-dimensional ultrasonographic quantitative analysis of non-ulcerated carotid plaque morphology in symptomatic and asymptomatic carotid stenosis,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 198, no. 1, pp. 129–135, 2008.
- D. Leys, H. Hénon, and F. Pasquier, “White matter changes and poststroke dementia,” Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders, vol. 9, supplement 1, pp. 25–29, 1998.
- K. M. Vadikolias, N. D. Artemis, P. D. Mitsias et al., “Evaluation of the stability of blood flow over time in the dominant hemisphere: a functional transcranial Doppler study,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 1870–1877, 2007.
- I. Heliopoulos, M. Papaoiakim, G. Tsivgoulis et al., “Common carotid intima media thickness as a marker of clinical severity in patients with symptomatic extracranial carotid artery stenosis,” Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 246–250, 2009.
- E. G. Grant, C. B. Benson, G. L. Moneta et al., “Carotid artery stenosis: gray-scale and Doppler US diagnosis—Society of Radiologists in Ultrasound Consensus Conference,” Radiology, vol. 229, no. 2, pp. 340–346, 2003.
- M. G. Veller, C. M. Fisher, A. N. Nicolaides et al., “Measurement of the ultrasonic intima-media complex thickness in normal subjects,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 719–725, 1993.
- Stroke Outcomes and Neuroimaging of Intracranial Atherosclerosis (SONIA) Trail Investigators, “Stroke outcomes and neuroimaging of intracranial atherosclerosis (SONIA): design of a prospective, multicenter trial of diagnostic tests,” Neuroepidemiology, vol. 23, no. 1-2, pp. 23–32, 2004.
- B. C. Astor, A. R. Sharrett, J. Coresh, L. E. Chambless, and B. A. Wasserman, “Remodeling of carotid arteries detected with MR imaging: atherosclerosis risk in communities carotid MRI study,” Radiology, vol. 256, no. 3, pp. 879–886, 2010.
- J. F. Polak, R. A. Kronmal, G. S. Tell et al., “Compensatory increase in common carotid artery diameter. Relation to blood pressure and artery intima-media thickness in older adults. Cardiovascular Health Study,” Stroke, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 2012–2015, 1996.
- H. Masuda, Y. J. Zhuang, T. M. Singh et al., “Adaptive remodeling of internal elastic lamina and endothelial lining during flow-induced arterial enlargement,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 2298–2307, 1999.
- M. Czosnyka, H. K. Richards, H. E. Whitehouse, and J. D. Pickard, “Relationship between transcranial Doppler-determined pulsatility index and cerebrovascular resistance: an experimental study,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 79–84, 1996.
- F. M. Faraci and D. D. Heistad, “Regulation of large cerebral arteries and cerebral microsvascular pressure,” Circulation Research, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 8–17, 1990.
- S. Fujishima, Y. Ohya, H. Sugimori et al., “Transcranial Doppler sonography and ambulatory blood pressure monitoring in patients with hypertension,” Hypertension Research, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 345–351, 2001.
- M. F. O'Rourke and M. E. Safar, “Relationship between aortic stiffening and microvascular disease in brain and kidney: cause and logic of therapy,” Hypertension, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 200–204, 2005.
- T. Takahashi, T. Murata, K. Narita et al., “Multifractal analysis of deep white matter microstructural changes on MRI in relation to early-stage atherosclerosis,” NeuroImage, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 1158–1166, 2006.
- D. M. O. Pruissen, S. A. M. Gerritsen, T. J. Prinsen et al., “Carotid intima-media thickness is different in large- and small-vessel ischemic stroke: the SMART study,” Stroke, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 1371–1373, 2007.
- K. N. Vemmos, G. Tsivgoulis, K. Spengos et al., “Common carotid artery intima-media thickness in patients with brain infarction and intracerebral haemorrhage,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 280–286, 2004.