- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Anesthesiology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 648921, 3 pages
Unexpected High Sensory Blockade during Continuous Spinal Anesthesiology (CSA) in an Elderly Patient
Department of Anaesthesia, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, P.O. Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Received 19 June 2012; Accepted 31 July 2012
Academic Editors: A. Apan, M. Dauri, and R. Riley
Copyright © 2012 R. Ketelaars and A. P. Wolff. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. A. Sutter, Z. Gamulin, and A. Forster, “Comparison of continuous spinal and continuous epidural anaesthesia for lower limb surgery in elderly patients. A retrospective study,” Anaesthesia, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 47–50, 1989.
- J. F. Favarel-Garrigues, F. Sztark, M. E. Petitjean, M. Thicoïpé, P. Lassié, and P. Dabadie, “Hemodynamic effects of spinal anesthesia in the elderly: single dose versus titration through a catheter,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 312–316, 1996.
- T. Okutomi, M. Saito, M. Koura, and S. Hoka, “Spinal anesthesia using a continuous spinal catheter for cesarean section in a parturient with prior surgical correction of scoliosis,” Journal of Anesthesia, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 223–226, 2006.
- G. Hocking and J. A. W. Wildsmith, “Intrathecal drug spread,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 568–578, 2004.
- M. Goyal, S. Taxak, K. K. Kshetrapal, and M. K. Goel, “Continuous spinal anesthesia in a high risk elderly patient using epidural set,” Journal of Anaesthesiology Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 139–141, 2011.
- T. Volk, A. Wolf, H. Van Aken, H. Bürkle, A. Wiebalck, and T. Steinfeldt, “Incidence of spinal haematoma after epidural puncture: analysis from the German network for safety in regional anaesthesia,” European Journal of Anaesthesiology, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 170–176, 2012.
- M. L. Rigler, K. Drasner, T. C. Krejcie et al., “Cauda equina syndrome after continuous spinal anesthesia,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 275–281, 1991.
- B. S. Rasmussen, L. Blom, P. Hansen, and S. S. Mikkelsen, “Postspinal headache in young and elderly patients. Two randomised, double-blind studies that compare 20- and 25-gauge needles,” Anaesthesia, vol. 44, no. 7, pp. 571–573, 1989.
- S. Abdulla, W. Abdulla, and R. Eckhardt, “Caudal normal saline injections for the treatment of post-dural puncture headache,” Pain Physician, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 271–279, 2011.
- L. M. M. Morrison, J. H. McClure, and J. A. W. Wildsmith, “Clinical evaluation of a spinal catheter technique in femoro-popliteal graft surgery,” Anaesthesia, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 576–578, 1991.
- P. J. Nightingale, “Barbotage and spinal anaesthesia. The effect of barbotage on the spread of analgesia during isobaric spinal anaesthesia,” Anaesthesia, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 7–9, 1983.
- W. W. Tourtellotte, W. G. Henderson, R. P. Tucker, O. Gilland, J. E. Walker, and E. Kokman, “A randomized, double-blind clinical trial comparing the 22 versus 26 gauge needle in the production of the post-lumbar puncture syndrome in normal individuals,” Headache, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 73–78, 1972.
- D. Bezov, R. B. Lipton, and S. Ashina, “Post-dural puncture headache: part i diagnosis, epidemiology, etiology, and pathophysiology,” Headache, vol. 50, no. 7, pp. 1144–1152, 2010.
- M. M. Charsley and S. E. Abram, “The injection of intrathecal normal saline reduces the severity of postdural puncture headache,” Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 301–305, 2001.
- C. C. Apfel, A. Saxena, O. S. Cakmakkaya, R. Gaiser, E. George, and O. Radke, “Prevention of postdural puncture headache after accidental dural puncture: a quantitative systematic review,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 255–263, 2010.