- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Critical Care
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 920729, 3 pages
Shigella Bacteremia in a Patient with Visceral Leishmaniasis
1School of Biomedical and Laboratory Sciences, University of Gondar, P.O. Box 196, Gondar, Ethiopia
2Leishmanaisis Research and Treatment Center, University of Gondar, P.O. Box 196, Gondar, Ethiopia
3Department of Internal Medicine, University of Gondar, P.O. Box 196, Gondar, Ethiopia
4Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Received 30 June 2013; Accepted 24 July 2013
Academic Editors: C. Lazzeri, K. Lenz, and G. Pichler
Copyright © 2013 Mengistu Endris et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. J. Tortora, B. R. Funke, and C. L. Case, “Microbial diseases of the digestive system,” in Microbiology an Introduction, L. Berriman, Ed., pp. 712–713, Pearson Benjamin Cummings, San Francisco, Calif, USA, 10th edition, 2010.
- B. G. Marcia, “Microbiology,” in Epidemiology, Microbiology, and Pathogenesis of Shigella Infection, B. C. Stephen and S. E. Morven, Eds., pp. 12–13, 2012.
- R. M. Kligler and P. D. Hoeprich, “Shigellemia,” Western Journal of Medicine, vol. 141, no. 3, pp. 375–378, 1984.
- M. J. Struelens, G. Mondal, M. Roberts, and P. H. Williams, “Role of bacterial and host factors in the pathogenesis of Shigella septicemia,” European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 337–344, 1990.
- S. A. Erqou, E. Teferra, A. Mulu, and A. Kassu, “A case of shigellosis with intractable septic shock and convulsions,” Japanese Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 314–316, 2007.
- J. Huebner, W. Czerwenka, E. Gruner, and A. von Graevenitz, “Shigellemia in AIDS patients: case report and review of the literature,” Infection, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 122–124, 1993.
- D. H. Baskin, J. D. Lax, and D. Barenberg, “Shigella bacteremia in patients with the acquired immune deficiency syndrome,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 338–341, 1987.
- G. Bekele, D. Fekade, and M. Gedebou, “Shigellaemia in adults: case reports and literature review,” Ethiopian Medical Journal, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 25–29, 1986.
- J. Vandepitte, J. Verhaegen, K. Engbaek, et al., Eds., Basic Laboratory Procedures in Clinical Bacteriology, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 2nd edition, 2003.
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing, Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne, Pa, USA, 2009.
- A. Phalipon and P. J. Sansonetti, “Shigella's ways of manipulating the host intestinal innate and adaptive immune system: a tool box for survival?” Immunology and Cell Biology, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 119–129, 2007.
- E. M. Carvalho, R. S. Teixeira, and W. D. Johnson Jr., “Cell-mediated immunity in American visceral leishmaniasis: reversible immunosuppression during acute infection,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 498–502, 1981.
- T. M. Andrade, E. M. Carvalho, and H. Rocha, “Bacterial infections in patients with visceral leishmaniasis,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 162, no. 6, pp. 1354–1359, 1990.
- A. J. Trevett, B. O. Ogunbanjo, S. Naraqi, and J. D. Igo, “Shigella bacteraemia in adults,” Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 69, no. 812, pp. 466–468, 1993.
- M. J. Struelens, D. Patte, I. Kabir, A. Salam, S. K. Nath, and T. Butler, “Shigella septicemia: prevalence, presentation, risk factors, and outcome,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 152, no. 4, pp. 784–790, 1985.