- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Dermatological Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 410601, 4 pages
A Rare Case of Petrified Ear
1Kimbrough Ambulatory Care Center, Fort George G. Meade, MD 20755, USA
2Department of Dermatology, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, 8901 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, MD 20889, USA
Received 31 August 2012; Accepted 18 September 2012
Academic Editors: S. Inui and A. A. Navarini
Copyright © 2012 Kathryn E. Buikema and Erin G. Adams. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. Bochdalek, “Verknocherung der aurecula,” Prag Vierteljahrschr, vol. 89, pp. 33–46, 1866.
- L. Wassmund, “Verkno cherung der ohrmuschel und roentgenographie,” Deutsche medizinische Wochenschrift, vol. 4, pp. 439–440, 1899.
- K. Chang, D. Kim, J. Kim, and Y. Park, “Idiopathic acquired ectopic auricular ossification: a case report and review of the literature,” Ear, Nose and Throat, vol. 90, no. 9, pp. 427–424, 2011.
- D. L. Gordon, “Calcification of auricular cartilage,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 113, pp. 23–27, 1964.
- J. J. Manni and L. C. M. Berénos-Riley, “Ossification of the external ear: a case report and review of the literature,” European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, vol. 262, no. 12, pp. 961–964, 2005.
- M. J. Carfrae and D. Foyt, “Auricular ossification resulting in external auditory canal stenosis,” Ear, Nose and Throat Journal, vol. 87, no. 3, 2008.
- F. W. Scherrer, “Calcification and ossification of external ears,” Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology, vol. 41, p. 867, 1932.
- J. Batson, “Calcification of the ear cartilage associated with the hypercalcemia of sarcoidosis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 265, pp. 876–877, 1961.
- J. L. Jarvis, D. Jenkins, M. C. Sosman, and G. W. Thorn, “Roentgenologic observations in Addison's patients,” Radiology, vol. 62, p. 16, 1954.
- A. Barkan and I. Glantz, “Calcification of auricular cartilages in patients with hypopituitarism,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 354–357, 1982.
- M. A. A. Fuster, M. J. A. Fornés, A. F. Rodríguez, M. J. R. Martínez, J. D. C. Biosca, and J. M. V. Martínez, “Calcification of auricular cartilages in adrenal insufficiency,” Acta Otorrinolaringologica Espanola, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 167–168, 2007.
- P. C. Stites, A. S. Boyd, and J. Zic, “Auricular ossificans (ectopic ossification of the auricle),” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 142–144, 2003.
- J. M. Yeatman and G. A. Varigos, “Auricular ossification,” Australasian Journal of Dermatology, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 268–270, 1998.
- H. Sterneberg-Vos, V. Winnepenninckx, J. Frank, and N. W. Kelleners-Smeets, “Ossification of the auricle,” International Journal of Dermatology, vol. 46, supplement 3, pp. 42–44, 2007.
- V. McKusick and R. Goodman, “Pinnal calcification,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 179, pp. 230–232, 1962.
- J. A. Fairley, “Calcifying and ossifying disorders of the skin,” in Dermatology, J. L. Bolognia, J. L. Jorizzo, R. P. Rapini, et al., Eds., pp. 653–660, Mosby, London, UK, 2nd edition, 2008.
- J. R. DiBartolomeo, “The petrified auricle: comments on ossification, calcification and exostoses of the external ear,” Laryngoscope, vol. 95, no. 5, pp. 566–576, 1985.
- G. D. Lister, “Ossification in the elastic cartilage of the ear.,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 399–400, 1969.
- W. A. High, M. J. Larson, and M. P. Hoang, “Idiopathic bilateral auricular ossificans: a case report and review of the literature,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 128, no. 12, pp. 1432–1434, 2004.
- A. Machado, M. Lopes, and C. Ferreira, “Petrified auricular cartilages pointing the diagnosis of post-partum hypopituitarism in an encephalopathic patient,” European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, vol. 266, no. 2, pp. 305–307, 2009.
- N. S. Mastronikolis, P. Zampakis, C. Kalogeropoulou et al., “Bilateral ossification of the auricles: an unusual entity and review of the literature,” Head and Face Medicine, vol. 5, no. 1, p. 17, 2009.
- E. V. Laguna, A. A. Martinez, and F. Burgos, “Petrified ear-a case of calcinosis cutis,” Acta Dermato-Venereologica, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 526–527, 2009.
- A. A. Lari, N. Al-Rabah, and H. Dashti, “Acrobativ ears: a cause of petrified auricles,” British Journal of Plastic Surgery, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 719–721, 1989.