- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Endocrinology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 502806, 4 pages
A Rare Form of Melanoma Masquerading as a Diabetic Foot Ulcer: A Case Report
1Department of Family Medicine, Morehouse School of Medicine, 1513 East Cleveland Avenue, Building 100, Suite 300A, Atlanta, GA 30344, USA
2Department of Surgery, Morehouse School of Medicine, 720 Westview Drive SW, Atlanta, GA 30310, USA
Received 12 December 2011; Accepted 29 January 2012
Academic Editor: C. Capella
Copyright © 2012 Susan Thomas et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Reed, “Acral lentiginous melanoma,” in New Concepts in Surgical Pathology of the Skin, W. Hartmann and R. Reed, Eds., pp. 89–90, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 1976.
- D. A. Hudson, J. E. J. Krige, and H. Stubbings, “Plantar melanoma: results of treatment in three population groups,” Surgery, vol. 124, no. 5, pp. 877–882, 1998.
- Y. J. Chen, C. Y. Wu, J. T. Chen, J. L. Shen, C. C. Chen, and H. C. Wang, “Clinicopathologic analysis of malignant melanoma in Taiwan,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 945–949, 1999.
- N. M. Luk, L. C. Ho, C. L. Choi, K. H. Wong, K. H. Yu, and W. K. Yeung, “Clinicopathological features and prognostic factors of cutaneous melanoma among Hong Kong Chinese,” Clinical and Experimental Dermatology, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 600–604, 2004.
- K. Ishihara, T. Saida, and A. Yamamoto, “Updated statistical data for malignant melanoma in Japan,” International Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 109–116, 2001.
- J. A. Al-Maghrabi, A. S. Al-Ghamdi, and H. A. Elhakeem, “Pattern of skin cancer in southwestern Saudi Arabia,” Saudi Medical Journal, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 776–779, 2004.
- C. F. Bellows, P. Belafsky, I. S. Fortgang, and D. J. Beech, “Melanoma in African-Americans: trends in biological behavior and clinical characteristics over two decades,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 10–16, 2001.
- A. Green, M. McCredie, R. MacKie et al., “A case-control study of melanomas of the soles and palms (Australia and Scotland),” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 21–25, 1999.
- T. S. Wiecker, H. Luther, P. Buettner, J. Bauer, and C. Garbe, “Moderate sun exposure and nevus counts in parents are associated with development of melanocytic nevi in childhood a risk factor study in 1812 kindergarten children,” Cancer, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 628–638, 2003.
- P. Kaskel, P. Kind, S. Sander, R. U. Peter, and G. Krähn, “Trauma and melanoma formation: a true association?” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 143, no. 4, pp. 749–753, 2000.
- I. R. Bristow and K. Acland, “Acral lentiginous melanoma of the foot and ankle: a case series and review of the literature,” Journal of Foot and Ankle Research, vol. 1, no. 1, 2008.
- S. Metzger, U. Ellwanger, W. Stroebel, U. Schiebel, G. Rassner, and G. Fierlbeck, “Extent and consequences of physician delay in the diagnosis of acral melanoma,” Melanoma Research, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 181–186, 1998.
- S. L. Soon, A. R. Solomon, D. Papadopoulos, D. R. Murray, B. McAlpine, and C. V. Washington, “Acral lentiginous melanoma mimicking benign disease: the Emory experience,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 183–188, 2003.
- D. R. Bennett, D. Wasson, J. D. MacArthur, and M. A. McMillen, “The effect of misdiagnosis and delay in diagnosis on clinical outcome in melanomas of the foot,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 179, no. 3, pp. 279–284, 1994.
- E. Tan, S. H. Chua, J. T. E. Lim, and C. L. Goh, “Malignant melanoma seen in a tertiary dermatological centre, Singapore,” Annals of the Academy of Medicine Singapore, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 414–418, 2001.