- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Endocrinology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 645914, 5 pages
A Case of Nonfunctioning Pituitary Carcinoma That Responded to Temozolomide Treatment
1First Department of Medicine, Nagasaki University Graduates School of Biomedical Sciences, 1-7-1 Sakamoto, Nagasaki 852-8501, Japan
2Department of Pathology, Toranomon Hospital, 2-2-2 Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-8470, Japan
Received 14 August 2012; Accepted 9 September 2012
Academic Editors: G. Aimaretti, B. K. Irons, and W. V. Moore
Copyright © 2012 Haruko Morokuma et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. P. Heaney, “Pituitary carcinoma: difficult diagnosis and treatment,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 96, no. 12, pp. 3649–3660, 2011.
- G. A. Kaltsas, P. Nomikos, G. Kontogeorgos, M. Buchfelder, and A. B. Grossman, “Clinical review: diagnosis and management of pituitary carcinomas,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 90, no. 5, pp. 3089–3099, 2005.
- K. Dudziak, J. Honegger, A. Bornemann, M. Horger, and K. Müssig, “Pituitary carcinoma with malignant growth from first presentation and fulminant clinical course—case report and review of the literature,” vol. 96, no. 9, pp. 2665–2669, 2011.
- P. J. Pernicone, B. W. Scheithauer, T. J. Sebo et al., “Pituitary carcinoma: a clinicopathologic study of 15 cases,” Cancer, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 804–812, 1997.
- K. Thapar, B. W. Scheithauer, K. Kovacs, P. J. Pernicone, and E. R. Laws, “p53 Expression in pituitary adenomas and carcinomas: correlation with invasiveness and tumor growth fractions,” Neurosurgery, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 765–771, 1996.
- K. Thapar, K. Kovacs, B. W. Scheithauer et al., “Proliferative activity and invasiveness among pituitary adenomas and carcinomas: an analysis using the MIB-1 antibody,” Neurosurgery, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 99–107, 1996.
- A. I. McCormack, J. A. H. Wass, and A. B. Grossman, “Aggressive pituitary tumours: Role of temozolomide and the assessment of MGMT status,” European Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 41, pp. 1133–1148, 2011.
- G. Raverot, F. Castinetti, E. Jouanneau et al., “Pituitary carcinomas and aggressive pituitary tumours: merits and pitfalls of temozolomide treatment,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 76, no. 6, pp. 769–775, 2012.
- M. Esteller, J. Garcia-Foncillas, E. Andion et al., “Inactivation of the DNA-repair gene MGMT and the clinical response of gliomas to alkylating agents,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 343, no. 19, pp. 1350–1354, 2000.
- S. Ekeblad, A. Sundin, E. T. Janson et al., “Temozolomide as monotherapy is effective in treatment of advanced malignant neuroendocrine tumors,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 2986–2991, 2007.
- S. Lim, H. Shahinian, M. M. Maya, W. Yong, and A. P. Heaney, “Temozolomide: a novel treatment for pituitary carcinoma,” Lancet Oncology, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 518–520, 2006.
- G. Raverot, N. Sturm, F. De Fraipont et al., “Temozolomide treatment in aggressive pituitary tumors and pituitary carcinomas: a French multicenter experience,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 95, no. 10, pp. 4592–4599, 2010.
- M. Losa, E. Mazza, M. R. Terreni et al., “Salvage therapy with temozolomide in patients with aggressive or metastatic pituitary adenomas: experience in six cases,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 163, no. 6, pp. 843–851, 2010.
- M. S. Thearle, P. U. Freda, J. N. Bruce, S. R. Isaacson, Y. Lee, and R. L. Fine, “Temozolomide (Temodar) and capecitabine (Xeloda) treatment of an aggressive corticotroph pituitary tumor,” Pituitary, vol. 14, pp. 418–424, 2009.
- A. Takeshita, N. Inoshita, M. Taguchi et al., “High incidence of low O6-methylguanine DNA methyltransferase expression in invasive macroadenomas of Cushing's disease,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 161, no. 4, pp. 553–559, 2009.
- W. Wick, M. Platten, and M. Weller, “New (alternative) temozolomide regimens for the treatment of glioma,” Neuro-Oncology, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 69–79, 2009.
- M. E. Hegi, L. Liu, J. G. Herman et al., “Correlation of O6-methylguanine methyltransferase (MGMT) promoter methylation with clinical outcomes in glioblastoma and clinical strategies to modulate MGMT activity,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 26, no. 25, pp. 4189–4199, 2008.
- C. E. Fadul, A. L. Kominsky, L. P. Meyer et al., “Long-term response of pituitary carcinoma to temozolomide. Report of two cases,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 105, no. 4, pp. 621–626, 2006.
- L. V. Syro, H. Uribe, L. C. Penagos et al., “Antitumour effects of temozolomide in a man with a large, invasive prolactin-producing pituitary neoplasm,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 552–553, 2006.
- Z. M. Bush, J. A. Longtine, T. Cunningham et al., “Temozolomide treatment for aggressive pituitary tumors: correlation of clinical outcome with O6-methylguanine methyltransferase (MGMT) promoter methylation and expression,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 95, no. 11, pp. E280–E290, 2010.
- L. M. Neff, M. Weil, A. Cole et al., “Temozolomide in the treatment of an invasive prolactinoma resistant to dopamine agonists,” Pituitary, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 81–86, 2007.
- R. Stupp, W. P. Mason, M. J. Van Den Bent et al., “Radiotherapy plus concomitant and adjuvant temozolomide for glioblastoma,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 352, no. 10, pp. 987–996, 2005.
- H. Kurzen, S. Schmitt, H. Näher, and T. Möhler, “Inhibition of angiogenesis by non-toxic doses of temozolomide,” Anti-Cancer Drugs, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 515–522, 2003.