- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Emergency Medicine
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 242514, 4 pages
Green Urine Discoloration due to Propofol Infusion: A Case Report
Department of Critical Care and Emergency, Iwate Prefectural Advanced Critical Care and Emergency Center, Iwate Medical University, 19-1 Uchimaru, Morioka 020-8505, Japan
Received 25 August 2011; Accepted 29 September 2011
Academic Editors: A. K. Exadaktylos, K.-U. Lee, and V. Papadopoulos
Copyright © 2011 Nobuki Shioya et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. S. Shim, H. W. Gil, J. O. Yang, E. Y. Lee, S. H. Kim, and S. Y. Hong, “A case of green urine after ingestion of herbicides,” Korean Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 42–44, 2008.
- P. Bowling, R. R. Belliveau, and T. J. Butler, “Intravenous medications and green urine,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 246, no. 3, p. 216, 1981.
- S. A. Blakey and J. A. Hixson-Wallace, “Clinical significance of rare and benign side effects: propofol and green urine,” Pharmacotherapy, vol. 20, no. 9 I, pp. 1120–1122, 2000.
- C. K. Tan, C. C. Lai, and K. C. Cheng, “Propofol-related green urine,” Kidney International, vol. 74, no. 7, p. 978, 2008.
- R. Tirosh, Z. Barzilay, S. Almog, and G. Paret, “Propofol and green urine,” Paediatric anaesthesia, vol. 6, no. 3, p. 244, 1996.
- J. Lepenies, E. Toubekis, U. Frei, and R. Schindler, “Green urine after motorcycle accident,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 725–726, 2000.
- J. Motsch, H. Schmidt, A. Bach, B. W. Bottiger, and H. Bohrer, “Long-term sedation with propofol and green discolouration of the liver,” European Journal of Anaesthesiology, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 499–502, 1994.
- M. J. Gillett and J. R. Burnett, “Medications and green urine,” Internal Medicine Journal, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 64–66, 2006.
- P. Leclercq, C. Loly, P. Delanaye, C. Garweg, and B. Lambermont, “Green urine,” The Lancet, vol. 373, no. 9673, p. 1462, 2009.
- P. Bernante, F. Francini, F. Zangrandi et al., “Green urine after intragastric balloon placement for the treatment of morbid obesity,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 951–953, 2003.
- C. Ananthanarayan and J. A. Fisher, “Why was the urine green?” Canadian Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 87–88, 1995.
- A. Bodenham, L. S. Culank, and G. R. Park, “Propofol infusion and green urine,” Lancet, vol. 2, no. 8561, p. 740, 1987.
- C. C. Callander, J. S. Thomas, and C. J. Evans, “Propofol and the colour green,” Anaesthesia, vol. 44, no. 1, p. 82, 1989.
- M. Nakao, “Review of intravenous anesthetics and opioids: the anesthetic action, pharmacokinetics and metabolism of propofol,” Rinsho masui, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 1805–1814, 2002 (Japanese).
- Y. Oda, N. Hamaoka, T. Hiroi et al., “Involvement of human liver cytochrome P4502B6 in the metabolism of propofol,” British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 281–285, 2001.
- S. N. de Wildt, G. L. Kearns, J. S. Leeder, and J. N. Van Den Anker, “Glucuronidation in humans,” Clinical Pharmacokinetics, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 439–452, 1999.
- M. Shimizu, Y. Matsumoto, and H. Yamazaki, “Effects of propofol analogs on glucuronidation of propofol, an anesthetic drug, by human liver microsomes,” Drug Metabolism Letters, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 77–79, 2007.
- K. A. McGurk, C. H. Brierley, and B. Burchell, “Drug glucuronidation by human renal UDP-glucuronosyltransferases,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 1005–1012, 1998.
- P. Favetta, C. S. Degoute, J. P. Perdrix, C. Dufresne, R. Boulieu, and J. Guitton, “Propofol metabolites in man following propofol induction and maintenance,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 653–658, 2002.
- R. Zhou and R. Liu, “Does bilirubin change the free concentration of propofol?” Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 653–654, 2010.
- A. McDonagh, “Obstructive jaundice, bilirubin and propofol pharmacodynamics,” Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, vol. 54, no. 9, p. 1152, 2010.
- J. L. Costela, R. Jiménez, R. Calvo, E. Suárez, and R. Carlos, “Serum protein binding of propofol in patients with renal failure or hepatic cirrhosis,” Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 741–745, 1996.
- E. Suarez, R. Calvo, M. K. Zamacona, J. Lukas, J. X. Mazoit, and K. Sam, “Binding of propofol to blood components,” British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 380–382, 2000.
- J. P. Beller, T. Pottecher, A. Lugnier, P. Mangin, and J. C. Otteni, “Prolonged sedation with propofol in ICU patients: recovery and blood concentration changes during periodic interruptions in infusion,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 583–588, 1988.