- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Emergency Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 458371, 3 pages
Bilateral Facial Nerve Palsy: A Diagnostic Dilemma
Department of Emergency Medicine, Singapore General Hospital, Outram Road, Singapore 169608
Received 5 October 2011; Accepted 27 November 2011
Academic Editors: P. Iannone, W. Mauritz, M. Sand, and C. Vorwerk
Copyright © 2012 Sohil Pothiawala and Fatimah Lateef. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Monnell and S. B. Zachariah, Bell Palsy, http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1146903-overview.
- J. R. Keane, “Bilateral seventh nerve palsy: analysis of 43 cases and review of the literature,” Neurology, vol. 44, no. 7, pp. 1198–1202, 1994.
- D. C. Teller and T. P. Murphy, “Bilateral facial paralysis: a case presentation and literature review,” Journal of Otolaryngology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 44–47, 1992.
- M. May and S. R. Klein, “Differential diagnosis of facial nerve palsy,” Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 613–645, 1991.
- P. Serrano, N. Hernández, J. A. Arroyo, J. M. de Llobet, and P. Domingo, “Bilateral Bell palsy and acute HIV type 1 infection: report of 2 cases and review,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. e57–e61, 2007.
- T. Price and D. G. Fife, “Bilateral simultaneous facial nerve palsy,” Journal of Laryngology and Otology, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 46–48, 2002.
- J. R. Clark, R. D. Carlson, A. R. Pachner, C. T. Sasaki, and A. C. Steere, “Facial paralysis in Lyme disease,” Laryngoscope, vol. 95, no. 11, pp. 1341–1345, 1985.
- F. S. G. Fortes, R. F. Bento, R. K. Tsuji, et al., “Bilateral peripheral facial palsy in HIV patient,” Arch Otorhinolaryngol, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 229–233, 2005.
- S. Pirana, R. F. Bento, P. Bogar, et al., “paralasia facial e surdez subita bilateral na doenca de Lyme,” Revista Brasileira de Oto-Rino-Laringologia, vol. 62, pp. 500–502, 1996.
- C. L. Goh, A. Kamarudin, and M. Khatija, “Lyme disease is not prevalent in patients presenting with annular erythema in Singapore,” Singapore Medical Journal, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 250–251, 1996.
- A. Kamaratos, S. Kokkoris, J. Protopsaltis et al., “Simultaneous bilateral facial palsy in a diabetic patient,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 623–624, 2004.
- K. K. Adour, J. Wingerd, and H. E. Doty, “Prevalence of concurrent diabetes mellitus and idiopathic facial paralysis (Bell's palsy),” Diabetes, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 449–451, 1975.
- K. Terada, T. Niizuma, Y. Kosaka, M. Inoue, S. Ogita, and N. Kataoka, “Bilateral facial nerve palsy associated with Epstein-Barr virus infection with a review of the literature,” Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 75–77, 2004.
- C. T. Coddington, J. D. Isaacs, A. Q. Siddiqui, and T. C. Andrews, “Bilateral facial nerve palsy associated with Epstein-Barr virus infection,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 81, no. 10, pp. 1155–1156, 2010.
- B. A. Cunha, Infectious Mononucleosis: Differential diagnosis and workup, http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/222040-diagnosis.
- Z. A. Shaikh, R. Bakshi, M. Wasay, A. Dai, and E. Gosy, “Magnetic resonance imaging findings in bilateral Bell's palsy,” Journal of Neuroimaging, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 223–225, 2000.
- R. Tien, W. P. Dillon, and R. K. Jackler, “Contrast-enhanced MR imaging of the facial nerve in 11 patients with Bell's palsy,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 155, no. 3, pp. 573–579, 1990.
- M. May and K. R. O’Harra, “Imaging studies: diagnostic role and clinicopathologic corelations,” in The Facial Nerve, M. May and S. Barry, Eds., chapter 13, Thieme Medical Publishers, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2000.
- Y. H. Kim, I. J. Choi, H. M. Kim, J. H. Ban, C. H. Cho, and J. H. Ahn, “Bilateral simultaneous facial nerve palsy: clinical analysis in seven cases,” Otology and Neurotology, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 397–400, 2008.
- E. Rontal and M. E. Sigel, “Bilateral facial paralysis,” Laryngoscope, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 607–616, 1972.