- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Emergency Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 943090, 5 pages
Ingestion and Pharyngeal Trauma Causing Secondary Retropharyngeal Abscess in Five Adult Patients
1Department of Surgery, Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation, University of Guyana, Georgetown, Guyana
2Division of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Department of Surgery, IWK Health Centre, Dalhousie University, P.O. Box 9700, Halifax, NS, Canada B3K 6R8
3School of Human Communication Disorders, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada B3H 4R2
Received 12 September 2012; Accepted 31 October 2012
Academic Editors: H. David, K. Imanaka, C. H. Loh, and H. P. Wu
Copyright © 2012 Sudhir B. Sharma and Paul Hong. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. C. Page, E. M. Bauer, and J. E. C. Lieu, “Clinical features and treatment of retropharyngeal abscess in children,” Otolaryngology, vol. 138, no. 3, pp. 300–306, 2008.
- G. J. Ridder, K. Technau-Ihling, A. Sander, and C. C. Boedeker, “Spectrum and management of deep neck space infections: a review of one hundred ninety-six cases,” American Journal of Otolaryngology, vol. 24, pp. 111–117, 2003.
- L. Lander, S. Lu, and R. K. Shah, “Pediatric retropharyngeal abscesses: a national perspective,” International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, vol. 72, no. 12, pp. 1837–1843, 2008.
- L. Erdevicki, B. Belic, S. Arsenijevic, I. Milojevic, and J. Stojanovic, “Subdural empyema, retropharyngeal and parapharyngeal space abscess: unusual complications of chronic otitis media,” Vojnosanitetski Pregled, vol. 69, pp. 449–452, 2012.
- T. Seyhan, N. M. Ertas, and H. Borman, “Necrotizing fasciitis of the chest wall with a retropharyngeal abscess: case report and literature review,” Annals of Plastic Surgery, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 544–548, 2008.
- P. Hong, J. MacCormick, A. Lamothe, and M. Corsten, “Lemierre syndrome: presentation of three cases,” Journal of Otolaryngology, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 352–358, 2005.
- C. K. Schott, F. L. Counselman, and A. R. Ashe, “A pain in the neck: Non-traumatic adult retropharyngeal abscess,” The Journal of Emergency Medicine. In press.
- C. Popa, H. M. Dekker, and M. van Deuren, “Feverless red neck: why worry? Retropharyngeal abscess (RPA) with GABHS,” Netherlands Journal of Medicine, vol. 69, pp. 451–457, 2011.
- A. Harkani, R. Hassani, T. Ziad et al., “Retropharyngeal abscess in adults: five case reports and review of the literature,” TheScientificWorldJOURNAL, vol. 11, 7 pages, 2011.
- A. F. Fleisch, S. Nolan, J. Gerber, and S. E. Coffin, “Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus as a cause of extensive retropharyngeal abscess in two infants,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 1161–1163, 2007.
- O. G. Nwaorgu, P. A. Onakoya, J. A. Fasunla, and T. S. Ibekwe, “Retropharyngeal abscess: a clinical experience at the University College Hospital Ibadan,” Nigerian Journal of Medicine, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 415–418, 2005.
- L. F. Wang, W. R. Kuo, S. M. Tsai, and K. J. Huang, “Characterizations of life-threatening deep cervical space infections: a review of one hundred ninety-six cases,” American Journal of Otolaryngology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 111–117, 2003.
- R. K. Shah, R. Chun, and S. S. Choi, “Mediastinitis in infants from deep neck space infections,” Otolaryngology, vol. 140, no. 6, pp. 936–938, 2009.
- J. M. Coticchia, G. S. Getnick, R. D. Yun, and J. E. Arnold, “Age-, site-, and time-specific differences in pediatric deep neck abscesses,” Archives of Otolaryngology, vol. 130, no. 2, pp. 201–207, 2004.