- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Emergency Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 125043, 3 pages
Critical Pertussis in a Young Infant Requiring Mechanical Ventilation
Department of Child Health, Faculty of Medicine, Universitas Padjadjaran, Hasan Sadikin General Hospital, Pasteur 38,
Bandung, West Java 40161, Indonesia
Received 13 March 2013; Accepted 9 April 2013
Academic Editors: L. Bojić, A. K. Exadaktylos, P. Iannone, K. Imanaka, and H. P. Wu
Copyright © 2013 Heda Melinda Nataprawira et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. S. Gregory, “Pertussis: a disease affecting all ages,” American Family Physician, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 420–426, 2006.
- Manitoba Health Communicable Disease Control Unit, Pertussis/Parapertussis, Communicable Disease Management Protocol, Manitoba, Canada, 2001.
- J. S. Burr, T. L. Jenkins, R. Harrison et al., “The collaborative pediatric critical care research network critical pertussis study: collaborative research in pediatric critical care medicine,” Pediatric Critical Care Medicine, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 387–392, 2011.
- U. Heininger, “Update on pertussis in children,” Expert Review of Anti-Infective Therapy, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 163–173, 2010.
- H. M. Nataprawira, F. Cahayasari, and A. Kashmir, “Pertussis-like syndrome or pertussis: a delay diagnosis,” Paediatr Indones, vol. 52, pp. 28–31, 2012.
- E. L. Murray, D. Nieves, J. S. Bradley, et al., “Characteristics of severe Bordetella pertussis infection among infants 90 days of age admitted to pediatric intensive care unit-Southern California, September 2009-June 2011,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2013.
- J. D. Cherry, R. Harrison, J. S. Bradley, et al., “Pertussis in young infants. Guidance for Clinicians,” 2010.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “Pertussis (whooping cough): Surveillance & Reporting,” 2010, http://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/surv-reporting.html.
- World Health Organization and Department of Vaccines and Biologicals, “Pertussis surveillance. A global meeting,” Tech. Rep. WHO/V&B/01.19, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2001.
- C. D. Paddock, G. N. Sanden, J. D. Cherry et al., “Pathology and pathogenesis of fatal Bordetella pertussis infection in infants,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 328–338, 2008.
- U. Heininger, W. J. Kleemann, and J. D. Cherry, “A controlled study of the relationship between Bordetella pertussis infections and sudden unexpected deaths among German infants,” Pediatrics, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. e9–15, 2004.
- C. Pierce, N. Klein, and M. Peters, “Is leukocytosis a predictor of mortality in severe pertussis infection?” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 1512–1514, 2000.
- A. Donoso, J. León, M. Ramírez, G. Rojas, and B. Oberpaur, “Pertussis and fatal pulmonary hypertension: a discouraged entity,” Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 145–148, 2005.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Immunization Program: Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases, “The Pink Book”, Pertussis, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 8th edition, 2003.
- J. M. Langley, S. A. Halperin, F. D. Boucher, and B. Smith, “Azithromycin is as effective as and better tolerated than erythromycin estolate for the treatment of pertussis,” Pediatrics, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. e96–101, 2004.
- J. M. Zuckerman, “Macrolides and ketolides: azithromycin, clarithromycin, telithromycin,” Infectious Disease Clinics of North America, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 621–649, 2004.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “Recommended antimicrobial agents for the treatment and postexposure prophylaxis of pertussis,” 2005, http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml.
- M.-P. Preziosi and M. E. Halloran, “Effects of pertussis vaccination on disease: vaccine efficacy in reducing clinical severity,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 92, pp. 970–975, 2003.