- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Gastrointestinal Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 515872, 4 pages
Duodenal Histoplasmosis Presenting with Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding in an AIDS Patient
1Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, 215 Light Hall, Nashville, TN 37232-2582, USA
2Division of Infectious Diseases, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, A2200 MCN, 1161 21st Avenue South, Nashville, TN 37232-2582, USA
3Vanderbilt Institute for Global Health (VIGH), 2525 West End Avenue, Suite 750, Nashville, TN 37203-1738, USA
Received 28 July 2012; Accepted 16 September 2012
Academic Editors: D. C. Damin, Y. Nakayama, and S. Nomura
Copyright © 2012 Michael A. Spinner et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. H. Chu, C. Feudtner, K. Heydon, T. J. Walsh, and T. E. Zaoutis, “Hospitalizations for endemic mycoses: a population-based national study,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 822–825, 2006.
- R. A. Goodwin, J. L. Shapiro, and G. H. Thurman, “Disseminated histoplasmosis: clinical and pathologic correlations,” Medicine, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 1–33, 1980.
- S. D. Nightingale, J. M. Parks, S. M. Pounders, D. K. Burns, J. Reynolds, and J. A. Hernandez, “Disseminated histoplasmosis in patients with AIDS,” Southern Medical Journal, vol. 83, no. 6, pp. 624–630, 1990.
- G. S. Deepe and W. E. Bullock, “Histoplasmosis: a granulomatous inflammatory response,” in Inflammation: Basic Principals and Clinical Correlates, J. I. Gallin, I. M. Goldstein, and R. Snyderman, Eds., p. 733, Raven, New York, NY, USA, 1988.
- P. Zhou, M. C. Sieve, R. P. Tewari, and R. A. Seder, “Interleukin-12 modulates the protective immune response in SCID mice infected with Histoplasma capsulatum,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 936–942, 1997.
- K. N. Suh, T. Anekthananon, and P. R. Mariuz, “Gastrointestinal histoplasmosis in patients with AIDS: case report and review,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 483–491, 2001.
- C. J. Kahi, L. J. Wheat, S. D. Allen, and G. A. Sarosi, “Gastrointestinal histoplasmosis,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 220–231, 2005.
- M. Assi, D. S. McKinsey, M. R. Driks et al., “Gastrointestinal histoplasmosis in the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome: report of 18 cases and literature review,” Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 195–201, 2006.
- C. C. Haws, R. F. Long, and G. E. Caplan, “Histoplasma capsulatum as a cause of ileocolitis,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 128, no. 4, pp. 692–694, 1977.
- M. A. Assi, M. S. Sandid, L. M. Baddour, G. D. Roberts, and R. C. Walker, “Systemic histoplasmosis: a 15-year retrospective institutional review of 111 patients,” Medicine, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 162–169, 2007.
- G. Aisenberg, L. A. Marcos, and I. Ogbaa, “Recurrent histoplasmosis in AIDS mimicking a colonic carcinoma,” International Journal of STD and AIDS, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 429–430, 2009.
- D. Cimponeriu, P. LoPresti, M. Lavelanet et al., “Gastrointestinal histoplasmosis in HIV infection: two cases of colonic pseudocancer and review of the literature,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 129–131, 1994.
- Y. Y. Morrison, R. C. Rathbun, and M. M. Huycke, “Disseminated histoplasmosis mimicking Crohn's disease in a patient with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 89, no. 8, pp. 1255–1257, 1994.
- M. A. C. D. A. Henry, E. F. Mendes, L. H. C. Saad, P. A. Rodrigues, and I. Gonçalves Jr., “Esophageal histoplasmosis. A case report,” Arquivos de Gastroenterologia, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 26–28, 1996.
- H. Spivak, M. H. Schlasinger, R. Tabanda-Lichauco, and H. Ferstenberg, “Small bowel obstruction from gastrointestinal histoplasmosis in acquired immune deficiency syndrome,” American Surgeon, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 369–372, 1996.
- S. I. Heneghan, J. Li, E. Petrossian, and L. S. Bizer, “Intestinal perforation from gastrointestinal histoplasmosis in acquired immunodeficiency syndrome: case report and review of the literature,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 128, no. 4, pp. 464–466, 1993.
- S. Kane and T. Brasitus, “Histoplasmosis capsulatum as a cause of lower gastrointestinal bleeding in common variable immunodeficiency,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 45, no. 11, pp. 2133–2135, 2000.
- K. Bodily, J. R. Perfect, G. Procop, M. K. Washington, and J. Affronti, “Small intestinal histoplasmosis: successful treatment with itraconazole in an immunocompetent host,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 518–521, 1996.
- D. Peppa, I. Plumb, J. Du Parcq, S. Taylor, and R. F. Miller, “Gastrointestinal histoplasmosis in an HIV-infected patient living in a non-endemic area,” International Journal of STD and AIDS, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 864–865, 2008.
- C. E. Forsmark, C. M. Wilcox, T. M. Darragh, and J. P. Cello, “Disseminated histoplasmosis in AIDS: an unusual case of esophageal involvement and gastrointestinal bleeding,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 604–605, 1990.
- L. J. Wheat, P. A. Connolly-Stringfield, R. L. Baker et al., “Disseminated histoplasmosis in the acquired immune deficiency syndrome: clinical findings, diagnosis and treatment, and review of the literature,” Medicine, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 361–374, 1990.
- J. Wheat, G. Sarosi, D. McKinsey et al., “Practice guidelines for the management of patients with histoplasmosis,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 688–695, 2000.