- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Gastrointestinal Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 143218, 4 pages
Actinomycosis of Cecum Associated with Entamoeba Infection Mimicking Perforated Colon Cancer
1Department of General Surgery, Acibadem University Medical Faculty, Acibadem Bakirköy Hospital, Halit Ziya Uşakligil Caddesi No. 1 Bakirköy, 34140 Istanbul, Turkey
2Department of Pathology, Acibadem Maslak Hospital, 34457 Istanbul, Turkey
3Department of Internal Medicine, Acibadem University Medical Faculty, 34848 Istanbul, Turkey
Received 12 March 2013; Accepted 8 April 2013
Academic Editors: T. Hirata, S. Kikuchi, R. J. L. F. Loffeld, V. Lorenzo-Zúñiga, and S. Nomura
Copyright © 2013 Deniz Eren Böler et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Pusiol, D. Morichetti, C. Pedrazzani, and F. Ricci, “Abdominal-pelvic actinomycosis mimicking malignant neoplasm,” Infectious Diseases in Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 2011, Article ID 747059, 4 pages, 2011.
- U. Kodali, R. Mallavarapu, and M. J. Goldberg, “Abdominal actinomycosis presenting as lower gastrointestinal bleeding,” Endoscopy, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 451–453, 2003.
- D. Filippou, I. Psimitis, D. Zizi, and S. Rizos, “A rare case of ascending colon actinomycosis mimicking cancer,” BMC Gastroenterology, vol. 5, article 1, 2005.
- D. C. Dominguez and S. J. Antony, “Actinomyces and nocardia infections in immunocompromised and nonimmunocompromised patients,” Journal of the National Medical Association, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 35–39, 1999.
- S. P. Misra, V. Misra, and M. Dwivedi, “Ileocecal masses in patients with amebic liver abscess: etiology and management,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 12, no. 12, pp. 1933–1936, 2006.
- H. Simsek, R. Elsürer, C. Sökmensüer, H. Y. Balaban, and G. Tatar, “Ameboma mimicking carcinoma of the cecum: case report,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 453–454, 2004.
- G. Arroyo and J. A. Quinn Jr., “Association of amoebae and Actinomyces in an intrauterine contraceptive device user,” Acta Cytologica, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 298–300, 1989.
- Y. H. Lee, S. H. Kim, M. Y. Cho, B. S. Rhoe, and M. S. Kim, “Actinomycosis of the gallbladder mimicking carcinoma: a case report with US and CT findings,” Korean Journal of Radiology, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 169–172, 2007.
- M. G. Wayne, N. Narang, A. Chauhdry, and J. Steele, “Hepatic actinomycosis mimicking an isolated tumor recurrence,” World Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 9, pp. 70–73, 2011.
- A. S. Fiorino, “Intrauterine contraceptive device-associated actinomycotic abscess and Actinomyces detection on cervical smear,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 142–149, 1996.
- Y. C. Lee, D. Min, K. Holcomb, A. Buhl, T. DiMaio, and O. Abulafia, “Computed tomography guided core needle biopsy diagnosis of pelvic actinomycosis,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 318–323, 2000.
- J. F. Yegüez, S. Martinez, L. R. Sands, and M. D. Hellinger, “Pelvic actinomycosis presenting as malignant large bowel obstruction: a case report and a review of the literature,” American Surgeon, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 85–90, 2000.
- H. Nozawa, Y. Yamada, Y. Muto, S. Arita, and K. Aisaka, “Pelvic actinomycosis presenting with a large abscess and bowel stenosis with marked response to conservative treatment: a case report,” Journal of Medical Case Reports, vol. 1, article 141, 2007.
- H. A. Allen III, J. C. Scatarige, and M. H. Kim, “Actinomycosis: CT findings in six patients,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 149, no. 6, pp. 1255–1258, 1987.
- S. Y. Lee, H. J. Kwon, J. H. Cho et al., “Actinomycosis of the appendix mimicking appendiceal tumor: a case report,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 395–397, 2010.
- H. K. Ha, H. J. Lee, H. Kim et al., “Abdominal actinomycosis: CT findings in 10 patients,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 161, no. 4, pp. 791–794, 1993.
- I. J. Lee, H. K. Ha, C. M. Park et al., “Abdominopelvic actinomycosis involving the gastrointestinal tract: CT features,” Radiology, vol. 220, no. 1, pp. 76–80, 2001.
- P. Peitsidis, C. Papadimitriou, A. Rodolakis, and A. Peitsidou, “Actinomycosis of the appendix and pelvis: a case report,” Journal of Reproductive Medicine for the Obstetrician and Gynecologist, vol. 53, no. 9, pp. 711–713, 2008.
- D. F. Bennhoff, “Actinomycosis: diagnostic and therapeutic considerations and a review of 32 cases,” Laryngoscope, vol. 94, no. 9, pp. 1198–1217, 1984.
- P. Acquaro, F. Tagliabue, G. Confalonieri, P. Faccioli, and M. Costa, “Abdominal wall actinomycosis simulating a malignant neoplasm: case report and review of the literature,” The World Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 2, pp. 247–250, 2010.
- S. Goldwag, P. L. Abbitt, and B. Watts, “Case report: percutaneous drainage of periappendiceal actinomycosis,” Clinical Radiology, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 422–424, 1991.
- W. F. Schlech III, M. Gelfand, B. Alper, and A. B. Kaiser, “Medical management of visceral actinomycosis,” Southern Medical Journal, vol. 76, no. 7, pp. 921–922, 1983.
- E. Felekouras, C. Menenakos, J. Griniatsos et al., “Liver resection in cases of isolated hepatic actinomycosis: case report and review of the literature,” Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 36, no. 6-7, pp. 535–538, 2004.
- A. J. Smith, V. Hall, B. Thakker, and C. G. Gemmell, “Antimicrobial susceptibility testing of Actinomyces species with 12 antimicrobial agents,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 407–409, 2005.
- T. Islam, M. N. Athar, M. K. Athar, M. H. U. Usman, and B. Misbah, “Hepatic actinomycosis with infiltration of the diaphragm and right lung: a case report,” Canadian Respiratory Journal, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 336–337, 2005.
- T. Lall, T. M. Shehab, and P. Valenstein, “Isolated hepatic actinomycosis: a case report,” Journal of Medical Case Reports, vol. 4, article 45, 2010.