- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Infectious Diseases
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 745743, 3 pages
Pyelonephritis and Bacteremia from Lactobacillus delbrueckii
1Department of Family Medicine, Crozer-Keystone Health System, Springfield, PA 19064, USA
2Department of Infectious Disease, Crozer-Keystone Health System, Springfield, PA 19064, USA
3Quest Diagnostics Nichols Institute, San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675, USA
Received 12 August 2012; Accepted 3 September 2012
Academic Editors: C. L. Gibert, A. Marangoni, D. L. Palazzi, and A. C. Sena
Copyright © 2012 Kevin M. DuPrey et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. S. Bayer, A. W. Chow, D. Betts, and L. B. Guze, “Lactobacillemia-report of nine cases. Important clinical and therapeutic considerations,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 808–813, 1978.
- M. Digamon-Beltran, T. Feigman, S. A. Klein, et al., “Lactobacillemia in pregnancy,” Southern Medical Journal, vol. 78, no. 9, pp. 1138–1139, 1985.
- B. W. Darbro, B. K. Petroelje, and G. V. Doern, “Lactobacillus delbrueckii as the cause of urinary tract infection,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 275–277, 2009.
- U. Dickgiesser, N. Weiss, and D. Fritsche, “Lactobacillus gasseri as the cause of septic urinary infection,” Infection, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 14–16, 1984.
- M. E. Sharpe, L. R. Hill, and S. P. Lapage, “Pathogenic lactobacilli,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 281–286, 1973.
- S. J. Antony, C. W. Stratton, and J. S. Dummer, “Lactobacillus bacteremia: description of the clinical course in adult patients without endocarditis,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 773–778, 1996.
- R. N. Husni, S. M. Gordon, J. A. Washington, and D. L. Longworth, “Lactobacillus bacteremia and endocarditis: review of 45 cases,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 1048–1055, 1997.
- M. K. Salminen, H. Rautelin, S. Tynkkynen et al., “Lactobacillus bacteremia, clinical significance and patient outcome, with special focus on probiotic L. Rhamnosus gg,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 62–69, 2004.
- B. Chazan, R. Raz, Y. Shental, H. Sprecher, and R. Colodner, “Bacteremia and pyelonephritis caused by Lactobacillus jensenii in a patient with urolithiasis,” Israel Medical Association Journal, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 164–165, 2008.
- J. P. Manzella and R. Harootunian, “Lactobacillemia of renal origin: a case report,” Journal of Urology, vol. 128, no. 1, p. 110, 1982.
- M. Morgan and L. K. Hunter, “Lactobacillus sepsis and emphysematous pyelonephritis,” Infections in Medicine, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 79–82, 2004.
- S. Rasul, F. Farhat, S. Ramshiai, R. Delapenha, and N. Shah, “Pyelonephritis and bacteremia from Lactobacillus acidophilus,” Journal of Medical Case Reportsno, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 223–325, 2012.
- R. J. Boyle, R. M. Robins-Browne, and M. L. K. Tang, “Probiotic use in clinical practice: what are the risks?” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 83, no. 6, pp. 1256–1264, 2006.
- L. Valiquette, “Urinary tract infections in women,” The Canadian Journal of Urology, vol. 8, pp. 6–12, 2001.
- S. L. Chen, S. L. Jackson, and E. J. Boyko, “Diabetes mellitus and urinary tract infection: epidemiology, pathogenesis and proposed studies in animal models,” Journal of Urology, vol. 182, no. 6, pp. 51–56, 2009.
- J. M. Swenson, R. R. Facklam, and C. Thornsberry, “Antimicrobial susceptibility of vancomycin-resistant Leuconostoc, Pediococcus, and Lactobacillus species,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 543–549, 1990.
- R. Maskell and L. Pead, “4-fluoroquinolones and Lactobacillus spp as emerging pathogens,” The Lancet, vol. 339, no. 8798, p. 929, 1992.
- M. H. Land, K. Rouster-Stevens, and C. R. Woods, “Lactobacillus sepsis associated with probiotic therapy,” Pediatrics, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 178–181, 2005.
- Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, 2012, Merriam-Webster Incorporated, http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/yogurt.
- J. G. Holt, Bergey's Manual of Determinative Bacteriology, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2000.