- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 168785, 5 pages
Recurrent Plasmacytomas after Allografting in a Patient with Multiple Myeloma
1Department of Hematology and Oncology, Webber Cancer Center, St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital, Warren, MI 48093, USA
2Department of Clinical Pathology, St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital, Warren, MI 48093, USA
3Division of Hematology, University of Torino, Via Genova 3, 10126 Torino, Italy
Received 6 September 2012; Revised 25 November 2012; Accepted 12 December 2012
Academic Editor: Graham F. Pineo
Copyright © 2012 Allen N. Stawis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Bruno, L. Giaccone, R. Sorasio, and M. Boccadoro, “Role of allogeneic stem cell transplantation in multiple myeloma,” Seminars in Hematology, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 158–165, 2009.
- B. Wirk, J. R. Wingard, and J. S. Moreb, “Extramedullary disease in plasma cell myeloma: the iceberg phenomenon,” Bone Marrow Transplant. In press.
- S. Madan and S. Kumar, “Review: extramedullary disease in multiple myeloma,” Clinical Advances in Hematology and Oncology, vol. 7, pp. 802–804, 2009.
- J. A. Pérez-Simón, A. Sureda, F. Fernández-Aviles, et al., “Reduced-intensity conditioning allogeneic transplantation is associated with a high incidence of extramedullary relapses in multiple myeloma patients,” Leukemia, vol. 20, pp. 542–545, 2006.
- E. Terpos, K. Rezvani, S. Basu et al., “Plasmacytoma relapses in the absence of systemic progression post-high-dose therapy for multiple myeloma,” European Journal of Haematology, vol. 75, no. 5, pp. 376–383, 2005.
- J. L. Byrne, J. Fairbairn, B. Davy, I. G. Carter, E. M. Bessell, and N. H. Russell, “Allogeneic transplantation for multiple myeloma: late relapse may occur as localised lytic lesion/plasmacytoma despite ongoing molecular remission,” Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 157–161, 2003.
- A. Alegre, A. Granda, C. Martínez-Chamorro et al., “Different patterns of relapse after autologous peripheral blood stem cell transplantation in multiple myeloma: clinical results of 280 cases from the Spanish Registry,” Haematologica, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 609–614, 2002.
- R. Zeiser, B. Deschler, H. Bertz, J. Finke, and M. Engelhardt, “Extramedullary vs medullary relapse after autologous or allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) in multiple myeloma (MM) and its correlation to clinical outcome,” Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol. 34, no. 12, pp. 1057–1065, 2004.
- M. Varettoni, A. Corso, G. Pica, S. Mangiacavalli, C. Pascutto, and M. Lazzarino, “Incidence, presenting features and outcome of extramedullary disease in multiple myeloma: a longitudinal study on 1003 consecutive patients,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 325–330, 2010.
- F. Patriarca, S. Prosdocimo, V. Tomadini, A. Vasciaveo, B. Bruno, and R. Fanin, “Efficacy of bortezomib therapy for extramedullary relapse of myeloma after autologous and non-myeloabiatlve allogeneic transplantation,” Haematologica, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 278–279, 2005.
- A. Paulus, A. Swaika, K. C. Miller et al., “Clinical relapse in a patient with multiple myeloma presenting as an atrial plasmacytoma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. e47–e49, 2011.
- B. G. Durie, J. L. Harousseau, J. S. Miguel, et al., “International uniform response criteria for multiple myeloma,” Leukemia, vol. 20, pp. 1467–1473, 2006.
- B. G. Durie, J. L. Harousseau, J. S. Miguel, et al., “Erratum: international uniform response criteria for multiple myeloma,” Leukemia, vol. 20, article 1134, 2006.
- B. G. Durie, J. L. Harousseau, J. S. Miguel, et al., “International uniform response criteria for multiple myeloma,” Leukemia, vol. 21, article 1134, 2007.
- L. Billecke, E. M. Penas, A. M. May, et al., “Similar incidences of TP53 deletions in extramedullary organ infiltrations, soft tissue and osteolyses of patients with multiple myeloma,” Anticancer Research, vol. 32, pp. 2031–2034, 2012.
- A. Dispenzieri, R. Kyle, G. Merlini et al., “International Myeloma Working Group guidelines for serum-free light chain analysis in multiple myeloma and related disorders,” Leukemia, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 215–224, 2009.
- N. Kröger, S. Asenova, A. Gerritzen, U. Bacher, and A. Zander, “Questionable role of free light chain assay ratio to determine stringent complete remission in multiple myeloma patients,” Blood, vol. 115, no. 16, pp. 3413–3414, 2010.
- G. Pratt, G. P. Mead, K. R. Godfrey et al., “The tumor kinetics of multiple myeloma following autologous stem cell transplantation as assessed by measuring serum-free light chains,” Leukemia and Lymphoma, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 21–28, 2006.
- M. A. Dawson, S. Patil, and A. Spencer, “Extramedullary relapse of multiple myeloma associated with a shift in secretion from intact immunoglobulin to light chains,” Haematologica, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 143–144, 2007.
- J. A. R. Hobbs, M. T. Drayson, K. Sharp, S. Harding, A. R. Bradwell, and G. P. Mead, “Frequency of altered monoclonal protein production at relapse of multiple myeloma,” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 148, no. 4, pp. 659–669, 2010.
- A. Kühnemund, P. Liebisch, K. Bauchmüller et al., “'Light-chain escape-multiple myeloma'-an escape phenomenon from plateau phase: report of the largest patient series using LC-monitoring,” Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology, vol. 135, no. 3, pp. 477–484, 2009.
- L. J. Donato, S. R. Zeldenrust, D. L. Murrat, and J. A. Katzmann, “A 71-year old woman with multiple myeloma status after stem cell transplantation,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 57, pp. 1645–1649, 2011.
- A. R. Bradwell, Serum Free Light Chain Analysis (Plus Hevylite), The Binding Site Group, Birmingham, UK, 6th edition, 2010.