- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 324685, 4 pages
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Multiple Sclerosis Overlap: A Case Report
1Department of Neurology, Second University of Naples, 80138 Naples, Italy
2Magnetic Resonance Imaging Research Center SUN-FISM, Neurological Institute for Diagnosis and Care “Hermitage Capodimonte”, 80131 Naples, Italy
Received 12 September 2012; Revised 17 November 2012; Accepted 9 December 2012
Academic Editor: Mamede de Carvalho
Copyright © 2012 Francesca Trojsi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Logroscino, O. Hardiman, A. Chiò, et al., “Incidence of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis in Europe,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 385–390, 2009.
- D. Hirtz, D. J. Thurman, K. Gwinn-Hardy, M. Mohamed, A. R. Chaudhuri, and R. Zalutsky, “How common are the “common” neurologic disorders?” Neurology, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 326–337, 2007.
- G. J. Dynes, C. J. Schwimer, S. M. Staugaitis, J. J. Doyle, A. P. Hays, and H. Mitsumoto, “Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis with multiple sclerosis: a clinical and pathological report,” Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Other Motor Neuron Disorder, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 349–353, 2000.
- G. Li, M. M. Esiri, O. Ansorge, and G. C. De Luca, “Concurrent multiple sclerosis and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: where inflammation and neurodegeneration meet?” Journal of Neuroinflammation, vol. 9, p. 20, 2012.
- C. Hewitt, J. Kirby, J. R. Highley et al., “Novel FUS/TLS mutations and pathology in familial and sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 455–461, 2010.
- A. Ismail, J. Cooper-Knock, J. R. Highley, et al., “Concurrence of multiple sclerosis and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis in patients with hexanucleotide repeat expansions of C9ORF72,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 79–87, 2013.
- K. Hemminki, X. Li, J. Sundquist, and K. Sundquist, “Familial risks for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and autoimmune diseases,” Neurogenetics, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 111–116, 2009.
- M. Etemadifar, S. H. Abtahi, M. Akbari, and A. H. Maghzi, “Multiple sclerosis and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: is there a link?” Multiple Sclerosis, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 902–904, 2012.
- B. R. Brooks, R. G. Miller, M. Swash, and T. L. Munsat, “El Escorial revisited: revised criteria for the diagnosis of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,” Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 293–299, 2000.
- C. H. Polman, S. C. Reingold, B. Banwell et al., “Diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: 2010 Revisions to the McDonald criteria,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 292–302, 2011.
- P. Annunziata, D. Maimone, and G. C. Guazzi, “Association of polyclonal anti-GM1 IgM and anti-neurofilament antibodies with CSF oligoclonal bands in a young with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 92, no. 5, pp. 387–393, 1995.
- N. Ticozzi, C. Tiloca, N. E. Mencacci, et al., “Oligoclonal bands in the cerebrospinal fluid of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients with disease-associated mutations,” Journal of Neurology. In press.
- J. M. Shefner, G. A. Mackin, and D. M. Dawson, “Lower motor neuron dysfunction in patients with multiple sclerosis,” Muscle and Nerve, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 1265–1270, 1992.
- P. S. T. Chong, S. Vucic, and D. P. Cros, “Multiple sclerosis presenting as lower motor neuron wasting and weakness of the distal upper extremity,” Neurology, vol. 61, no. 9, pp. 1303–1304, 2003.
- T. C. Frank-Cannon, L. T. Alto, F. E. McAlpine, and M. G. Tansey, “Does neuroinflammation fan the flame in neurodegenerative diseases?” Molecular Neurodegeneration, vol. 4, no. 1, article 47, 2009.