- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 418672, 4 pages
Novel BRAF Alteration in a Sporadic Pilocytic Astrocytoma
1Department of Pathology & Immunology, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO 63110, USA
2Department of Neurology, Washington University School of Medicine, P.O. Box 8111, 660 South Euclid Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63110, USA
3Department of Neurosurgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO 63110, USA
Received 17 December 2011; Accepted 7 February 2012
Academic Editor: Mark E. Shaffrey
Copyright © 2012 Sonika Dahiya et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Listernick, J. Charrow, M. J. Greenwald, and N. B. Esterly, “Optic gliomas in children with neurofibromatosis type 1,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 114, no. 5, pp. 788–792, 1989.
- L. Kluwe, C. Hagel, M. Tatagiba et al., “Loss of NF1 alleles distinguish sporadic from NF1-associated pilocytic astrocytomas,” Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology, vol. 60, no. 9, pp. 917–920, 2001.
- S. Pfister, W. G. Janzarik, M. Remke et al., “BRAF gene duplication constitutes a mechanism of MAPK pathway activation in low-grade astrocytomas,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 118, no. 5, pp. 1739–1749, 2008.
- E. E. Bar, A. Lin, T. Tihan, P. C. Burger, and C. G. Eberhart, “Frequent gains at chromosome 7q34 involving BRAF in pilocytic astrocytoma,” Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology, vol. 67, no. 9, pp. 878–887, 2008.
- D. T. W. Jones, S. Kocialkowski, L. Liu et al., “Tandem duplication producing a novel oncogenic BRAF fusion gene defines the majority of pilocytic astrocytomas,” Cancer Research, vol. 68, no. 21, pp. 8673–8677, 2008.
- A. J. Sievert, E. M. Jackson, X. Gai et al., “Duplication of 7q34 in pediatric low-grade astrocytomas detected by high-density single-nucleotide polymorphism-based genotype arrays results in a novel BRAF fusion gene,” Brain Pathology, vol. 19, pp. 449–458, 2009.
- T. Forshew, R. G. Tatevossian, A. R. J. Lawson et al., “Activation of the ERK/MAPK pathway: a signature genetic defect in posterior fossa pilocytic astrocytomas,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 218, no. 2, pp. 172–181, 2009.
- J. Yu, H. Deshmukh, R. J. Gutmann et al., “Alterations of BRAF and HIPK2 loci predominate in sporadic pilocytic astrocytoma,” Neurology, vol. 73, no. 19, pp. 1526–1531, 2009.
- K. Jacob, S. Albrecht, C. Sollier et al., “Duplication of 7q34 is specific to juvenile pilocytic astrocytomas and a hallmark of cerebellar and optic pathway tumours,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 101, no. 4, pp. 722–733, 2009.
- D. T. W. Jones, S. Kocialkowski, L. Liu, D. M. Pearson, K. Ichimura, and V. P. Collins, “Oncogenic RAF1 rearrangement and a novel BRAF mutation as alternatives to KIAA1549:BRAF fusion in activating the MAPK pathway in pilocytic astrocytoma,” Oncogene, vol. 28, no. 20, pp. 2119–2123, 2009.
- H. Cin, C. Meyer, R. Herr et al., “Oncogenic FAM131B-BRAF fusion resulting from 7q34 deletion comprises an alternative mechanism of MAPK pathway activation in pilocytic astrocytoma,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 121, no. 6, pp. 763–774, 2011.
- E. H. Raabe, K. S. Lim, J. M. Kim et al., “BRAF activation induces transformation and then senescence in human neural stem cells: a pilocytic astrocytoma model,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 3590–3599, 2011.
- J. Gronych, A. Korshunov, J. Bageritz et al., “An activated mutant BRAF kinase domain is sufficient to induce pilocytic astrocytoma in mice,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 121, no. 4, pp. 1344–1348, 2011.
- Y. Lyustikman, H. Momota, W. Pao, and E. C. Holland, “Constitutive activation of raf-1 induces glioma formation in mice,” Neoplasia, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 501–510, 2008.
- B. Hegedus, D. Banerjee, T. H. Yeh et al., “Preclinical cancer therapy in a mouse model of neurofibromatosis-1 optic glioma,” Cancer Research, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 1520–1528, 2008.