- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 476903, 6 pages
Peripartum Cardiomyopathy Presenting with Predominant Left Ventricular Diastolic Dysfunction: Efficacy of Bromocriptine
1Department of Cardiology, S. Maria Annunziata Hospital, Via dell'Antella 58, 50012 Florence, Italy
2Department of Pediatrics, S. Maria Annunziata Hospital, 50012 Florence, Italy
3Department of Cardiology, Local Health Unit, 50135 Florence, Italy
Received 2 May 2012; Revised 14 July 2012; Accepted 18 September 2012
Academic Editor: Dierk Thomas
Copyright © 2012 Piercarlo Ballo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- U. Elkayam, “Clinical characteristics of peripartum cardiomyopathy in the United States: diagnosis, prognosis, and management,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 58, no. 7, pp. 659–670, 2011.
- K. Sliwa, J. Fett, and U. Elkayam, “Peripartum cardiomyopathy,” Lancet, vol. 368, no. 9536, pp. 687–693, 2006.
- L. T. Cooper, P. J. Mather, J. D. Alexis et al., “IMAC2 Investigators. Myocardial recovery in peripartum cardiomyopathy: prospective comparison with recent onset cardiomyopathy in men and nonperipartum women,” Journal of Cardiac Failure, vol. 18, pp. 28–33, 2012.
- M. Biteker, E. Ilhan, G. Biteker, D. Duman, and B. Bozkurt, “Delayed recovery in peripartum cardiomyopathy: an indication for long-term follow-up and sustained therapy,” European Journal of Heart Failure, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 895–901, 2012.
- S. Goland, F. Bitar, K. Modi et al., “Evaluation of the clinical relevance of baseline left ventricular ejection fraction as a predictor of recovery or persistence of severe dysfunction in women in the United States with peripartum cardiomyopathy,” Journal of Cardiac Failure, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 426–430, 2011.
- M. Biteker, N. E. Duran, H. Kaya et al., “Effect of levosimendan and predictors of recovery in patients with peripartum cardiomyopathy, a randomized clinical trial,” Clinical Research in Cardiology, vol. 100, pp. 571–577, 2011.
- U. Elkayam, M. W. Akhter, H. Singh et al., “Pregnancy-associated cardiomyopathy: clinical characteristics and a comparison between early and late presentation,” Circulation, vol. 111, no. 16, pp. 2050–2055, 2005.
- H. Yamac, I. Bultmann, K. Sliwa, and D. Hilfiker-Kleiner, “Prolactin: a new therapeutic target in peripartum cardiomyopathy,” Heart, vol. 96, no. 17, pp. 1352–1357, 2010.
- B. G. Jahns, W. Stein, D. Hilfiker-Kleiner, B. Pieske, and G. Emons, “Peripartum cardiomyopathy-a new treatment option by inhibition of prolactin secretion,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 199, no. 4, pp. e5–e6, 2008.
- D. Habedank, Y. Kühnle, T. Elgeti, J. W. Dudenhausen, W. Haverkamp, and R. Dietz, “Recovery from peripartum cardiomyopathy after treatment with bromocriptine,” European Journal of Heart Failure, vol. 10, no. 11, pp. 1149–1151, 2008.
- J. S. S. G. De Jong, K. Rietveld, L. T. Van Lochem, and B. J. Bouma, “Rapid left ventricular recovery after cabergoline treatment in a patient with peripartum cardiomyopathy,” European Journal of Heart Failure, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 220–222, 2009.
- F. J. Rogers and S. Cooper, “Peripartum heart failure caused by left ventricular diastolic dysfunction,” Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, vol. 110, no. 2, pp. 87–90, 2010.
- G. L. Wells and W. C. Little, “Peripartum cardiomyopathy presenting as diastolic heart failure,” Congestive Heart Failure, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 52–54, 2008.
- M. Galderisi, “Diastolic dysfunction and diastolic heart failure: diagnostic, prognostic and therapeutic aspects,” Cardiovascular Ultrasound, vol. 3, article 9, 2005.
- S. F. Nagueh, “Echocardiographic assessment of left ventricular relaxation and cardiac filling pressures,” Current Heart Failure Reports, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 154–159, 2009.
- J. J. McMurray, S. Adamopoulos, S. D. Anker, et al., “ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure 2012: the task force for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure 2012 of the European Society of Cardiology. Developed in collaboration with the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the ESC,” European Heart Journal, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 803–869, 2012.
- J. Wang, K. M. Kurrelmeyer, G. Torre-Amione, and S. F. Nagueh, “Systolic and diastolic dyssynchrony in patients with diastolic heart failure and the effect of medical therapy,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 88–96, 2007.
- G. P. Meyer, S. Labidi, E. Podewski, K. Sliwa, H. Drexler, and D. Hilfiker-Kleiner, “Bromocriptine treatment associated with recovery from peripartum cardiomyopathy in siblings: two case reports,” Journal of Medical Case Reports, vol. 4, article 80, 2010.
- O. Forster, D. Hilfiker-Kleiner, A. A. Ansari et al., “Reversal of IFN-γ, oxLDL and prolactin serum levels correlate with clinical improvement in patients with peripartum cardiomyopathy,” European Journal of Heart Failure, vol. 10, no. 9, pp. 861–868, 2008.
- K. Sliwa, D. Hilfiker-Kleiner, M. C. Petrie et al., “Current state of knowledge on aetiology, diagnosis, management, and therapy of peripartum cardiomyopathy: a position statement from the Heart Failure Association of the European Society of Cardiology Working Group on peripartum cardiomyopathy,” European Journal of Heart Failure, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 767–778, 2010.
- U. Elkayam and S. Goland, “Bromocriptine for the treatment of peripartum cardiomyopathy,” Circulation, vol. 121, no. 13, pp. 1463–1464, 2010.
- J. G. Safirstein, A. S. Ro, S. Grandhi, L. Wang, J. D. Fett, and C. Staniloae, “Predictors of left ventricular recovery in a cohort of peripartum cardiomyopathy patients recruited via the internet,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 154, pp. 27–31, 2012.
- S. Y-Hassan and T. Jernberg, “Bromocriptine-induced coronary spasm caused acute coronary syndrome, which triggered its own clinical twin—takotsubo syndrome,” Cardiology, vol. 119, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2011.
- Y. S. Kim, W. Baek, J. Kim, H. Y. Kim, and Y. J. Lee, “Delayed ischemic stroke associated with bromocriptine-induced reversible cerebral vasoconstriction syndrome,” Neurological Sciences. In press.
- H. Tanaka, M. Tanabe, M. A. Simon et al., “Left ventricular mechanical dyssynchrony in acute onset cardiomyopathy: association of its resolution with improvements in ventricular function,” JACC: Cardiovascular Imaging, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 445–456, 2011.