- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 624065, 4 pages
Lemierre’s Syndrome: Rare, but Life Threatening—A Case Report with Streptococcus intermedius
1Department of Internal Medicine, Oregon Health Science University, P.O. Box BTE 119, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239, USA
2Infectious Diseases Division, Department of Medicine, Buffalo General Hospital, University at Buffalo, 100 High Street, B-8, Buffalo, NY 14203, USA
Received 15 August 2012; Accepted 1 October 2012
Academic Editor: Anthony W. Chow
Copyright © 2012 Shalini Gupta and Shehzad S. Merchant. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. A. Baig, J. Rasheed, D. Subkowitz, et al., “A review of Lemierre syndrome,” The Internet Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 5, no. 2, article 6, 2006.
- L. H. Kristensen and J. Prag, “Human necrobacillosis, with emphasis on Lemierre's syndrome,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 524–532, 2000.
- R. T. Gowan, R. J. Mehran, P. Cardinal, and G. Jones, “Thoracic complications of Lemierre syndrome,” Canadian Respiratory Journal, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 481–485, 2000.
- J. A. Chirinos, D. M. Lichtstein, J. Garcia, and L. J. Tamariz, “The evolution of Lemierre syndrome: report of 2 cases and review of the literature,” Medicine, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 458–465, 2002.
- M. I. Syed, D. Baring, M. Addidle, C. Murray, and C. Adams, “Lemierre syndrome: two cases and a review,” Laryngoscope, vol. 117, no. 9, pp. 1605–1610, 2007.
- N. M. Akkawi, B. Borroni, M. Magoni, L. A. Vignolo, and A. Padovani, “Lemierre's syndrome complicated by carotid thrombosis,” Neurological Sciences, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 403–404, 2001.
- T. Riordan, “Human infection with Fusobacterium necrophorum (Necrobacillosis), with a focus on Lemierre's syndrome,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 622–659, 2007.
- I. J. Escalona, A. D. Carandell, S. A. H. Centenero et al., “Lemierre Syndrome associated with dental infections. Report of one case and review of the literature,” Medicina Oral, Patologia Oral y Cirugia Bucal, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. E394–E396, 2007.
- J. E. Clarridge, S. Attorri, D. M. Musher, J. Hebert, and S. Dunbar, “Streptococcus intermedius, Streptococcus constellatus, and Streptococcus anginosus ("Streptococcus milleri group") are of different clinical importance and are not equally associated with abscess,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 1511–1515, 2001.
- S. I. Goolamali, M. T. Carulli, and U. M. Davies, “Spinal abscess and mitral valve endocarditis secondary to asymptomatic fusobacterium-induced dental abscess,” Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, vol. 99, no. 7, pp. 368–369, 2006.
- S. Ramirez, T. G. Hild, C. N. Rudolph et al., “Increased diagnosis of Lemierre syndrome and other Fusobacterium necrophorum infections at a Children's Hospital,” Pediatrics, vol. 112, no. 5, p. e380, 2003.
- Y. Jimenez, J. V. Bagan, J. Murillo, et al., “Odontogenic infections, complications and systemic manifestations,” Medicina Oral, Patología Oral y Cirugía Bucal, vol. 9, supplement, pp. S139–S147, 2004.
- K. Chemlal, I. Caby, N. Memain, D. Aubert, and F. Bruneel, “Streptococcus intermedius Lemierre's syndrome: an unusual association,” Presse Medicale, vol. 29, no. 29, pp. 1601–1602, 2000.
- W. Wright, C. Shiner, and J. Ribes, “Lemierre syndrome,” Southern Medical Journal, vol. 105, no. 5, pp. 283–288, 2012.
- M. Marek, E. C. Jauch, and M. C. Johnson, “A case of Lemierre's syndrome,” European Journal of Emergency Medicine, vol. 10, pp. 139–142, 2003.
- L. M. Brown and B. Wallwork, “Lemierre's—the sinister sore throat,” Journal of Laryngology and Otology, vol. 121, no. 7, pp. 692–694, 2007.