- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 895370, 5 pages
Potential Effects of Nichi Glucan as a Food Supplement for Diabetes Mellitus and Hyperlipidemia: Preliminary Findings from the Study on Three Patients from India
1Division of Translational Medicine, Nichi-In Centre for Regenerative Medicine (NCRM), PB 2278, Tamil Nadu, Chennai 600094, India
2Arogya Siddha Hospital, A-2 Alankar Plaza, 425 Kilpauk Garden Main Road, Chennai 600 010, India
3Kingwood Psychiatry, 19701 Kingwood Dr., Building No. 3, Kingwood, TX 77339, USA
4Hope Foundation (Trust), B6, 13, Zakariah colony III St., Choolaimedu, Chennai 600094, India
5Department of Clinical Research, School of Medicine, University of Yamanashi, 1110, Shimokato, Yamanashi, Chuo 409-3898, Japan
Received 5 July 2012; Accepted 15 November 2012
Academic Editor: Peter E. H. Schwarz
Copyright © 2012 Vidyasagar Devaprasad Dedeepiya et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. M. Anjana, M. K. Ali, R. Pradeepa et al., “The need for obtaining accurate nationwide estimates of diabetes prevalence in India-rationale for a national study on diabetes,” Indian Journal of Medical Research, vol. 133, no. 4, pp. 369–380, 2011.
- K. Pandit, S. Goswami, S. Ghosh, et al., “Metabolic syndrome in South Asians,” Indian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 44–55, 2012.
- V. Mohan, S. Sandeep, R. Deepa, B. Shah, and C. Varghese, “Epidemiology of type 2 diabetes: Indian scenario,” Indian Journal of Medical Research, vol. 125, no. 3, pp. 217–230, 2007.
- D. Yach, D. Stuckler, and K. D. Brownell, “Epidemiologic and economic consequences of the global epidemics of obesity and diabetes,” Nature Medicine, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 62–66, 2006.
- J. Chen and K. Raymond, “Beta-glucans in the treatment of diabetes and associated cardiovascular risks,” Vascular Health and Risk Management, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 1265–1272, 2008.
- D. R. Whiting, L. Guariguata, C. Weil, et al., “IDF diabetes atlas: global estimates of the prevalence of diabetes for 2011 and 2030,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 311–321, 2011.
- D. M. Nathan, J. B. Buse, M. B. Davidson et al., “Medical management of hyperglycaemia in type 2 diabetes mellitus: a consensus algorithm for the initiation and adjustment of therapy : aonsensus statement from the American Diabetes Association and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes,” Diabetologia, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 17–30, 2009.
- C. M. Alexander, P. B. Landsman, S. M. Teutsch, and S. M. Haffner, “NCEP-defined metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and prevalence of coronary heart disease among NHANES III participants age 50 years and older,” Diabetes, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 1210–1214, 2003.
- V. Mohan, “Why are Indians more prone to diabetes?” Journal of Association of Physicians of India, vol. 52, pp. 468–474, 2004.
- A. L. Jenkins, D. J. A. Jenkins, U. Zdravkovic, P. Würsch, and V. Vuksan, “Depression of the glycemic index by high levels of β-glucan fiber in two functional foods tested in type 2 diabetes,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 56, no. 7, pp. 622–628, 2002.
- N. Reyna-Villasmil, V. Bermúdez-Pirela, E. Mengual-Moreno et al., “Oat-derived β-glucan significantly improves HDLC and diminishes LDLC and non-HDL cholesterol in overweight individuals with mild hypercholesterolemia,” American Journal of Therapeutics, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 203–212, 2007.
- N. Ikewaki, N. Fujii, T. Onaka, S. Ikewaki, and H. Inoko, “Immunological actions of Sophy β-glucan (β-1,3-1,6 glucan), currently available commercially as a health food supplement,” Microbiology and Immunology, vol. 51, no. 9, pp. 861–873, 2007.
- S. Talbott and J. Talbott, “Effect of Beta 1, 3/1, 6 GLUCAN on upper respiratory tract infection symptoms and mood state in marathon athletes,” Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 509–515, 2009.
- M. J. Kim, S. Y. Hong, S. K. Kim, et al., “Beta-Glucan enhanced apoptosis in human colon cancer cells SNU-C4,” Nutrition Research and Practice, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 180–184, 2009.
- U. Tiwari and E. Cummins, “Meta-analysis of the effect of β-glucan intake on blood cholesterol and glucose levels,” Nutrition, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 1008–1016, 2011.
- S. Liatis, P. Tsapogas, E. Chala et al., “The consumption of bread enriched with betaglucan reduces LDL-cholesterol and improves insulin resistance in patients with type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes and Metabolism, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 115–120, 2009.
- M. Miyamoto, Y. Furuichi, T. Komiyama, et al., “Impact on NK cell activity by gastronomy or nasal tube feeding of β-glucan black yeast in the elderly,” in Proceedings of the 27th Japan Society of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, 2012.