- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 946103, 6 pages
Correct the Coagulopathy and Scoop It Out: Complete Reversal of Anuric Renal Failure through the Operative Decompression of Extraperitoneal Hematoma-Induced Abdominal Compartment Syndrome
1Department of Surgery, Foothills Medical Centre, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada T2N 2T9
2Critical Care Medicine, Foothills Medical Centre, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada T2N 2T9
3Regional Trauma Program, Foothills Medical Centre, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada T2N 2T9
Received 15 October 2012; Accepted 26 November 2012
Academic Editor: Yasuhiko Sugawara
Copyright © 2012 Paul B. McBeth et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. G. Ball, A. W. Kirkpatrick, and P. McBeth, “The secondary abdominal compartment syndrome: not just another post-traumatic complication,” Canadian Journal of Surgery, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 399–405, 2008.
- A. W. Kirkpatrick, Z. Balogh, C. G. Ball et al., “The secondary abdominal compartment syndrome: iatrogenic or unavoidable?” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 202, no. 4, pp. 668–679, 2006.
- M. L. Malbrain, M. L. Cheatham, A. Kirkpatrick, et al., “Results from the International Conference of Experts on Intra-abdominal Hypertension and Abdominal Compartment Syndrome. I. Definitions,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 1722–1732, 2006.
- Z. Balogh, B. A. McKinley, C. S. Cocanour et al., “Secondary abdominal compartment syndrome is an elusive early complication of traumatic shock resuscitation,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 184, no. 6, pp. 538–544, 2002.
- R. Fietsam, M. Villalba, J. L. Glover, and K. Clark, “Intra-abdominal compartment syndrome as a complication of ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm repair,” American Surgeon, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 396–402, 1989.
- C. D. Raeburn, E. E. Moore, W. L. Biffl et al., “The abdominal compartment syndrome is a morbid complication of postinjury damage control surgery,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 182, no. 6, pp. 542–546, 2001.
- J. D. Berná, I. Zuazu, M. Madrigal, V. García-Medina, C. Fernández, and F. Guirado, “Conservative treatment of large rectus sheath hematoma in patients undergoing anticoagulant therapy,” Abdominal Imaging, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 230–234, 2000.
- A. Neesse, M. Kalinowski, E. Walthers, C. Görg, and A. Neubauer, “Clinical management of massive retroperitoneal hemorrhage after bone marrow biopsy,” Leukemia and Lymphoma, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 475–477, 2009.
- H. L. Tsai, S. W. Liu, C. K. How, C. H. Chern, D. H. T. Yen, and C. I. Huang, “A rare case of massive retroperitoneal hemorrhage after bone marrow aspiration alone,” American Journal of Emergency Medicine, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 1070.e5–1070.e6, 2008.
- S. Milanchi, D. Magner, S. K. Lo, A. S. Klein, S. D. Colquhoun, and N. N. Nissen, “Abdominal compartment syndrome secondary to retroperitoneal hematoma as a complication of ERCP after liver transplantation,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 169–171, 2007.
- W. S. McDougal, E. D. Kursh, and L. Persky, “Spontaneous rupture of the kidney with perirenal hematoma,” Journal of Urology, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 181–184, 1975.
- A. Morgentaler, J. S. Belville, S. S. Tumeh, J. P. Richie, and K. R. Loughlin, “Rational approach to evaluation and management of spontaneous perirenal hemorrhage,” Surgery Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 170, no. 2, pp. 121–125, 1990.
- J. M. Wolff, P. K. Jung, G. Adam, and G. Jakse, “Spontaneous retroperitoneal haemorrhage associated with renal disease,” Journal of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 53–56, 1998.
- M. Hessmann and P. Rommens, “Bilateral ureteral obstruction and renal failure caused by massive retroperitoneal hematoma: is there a pelvic compartment syndrome analogous to abdominal compartment syndrome?” Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 553–557, 1998.
- A. R. Kendall, B. A. Senay, and M. E. Coll, “Spontaneous subcapsular renal hematoma: diagnosis and management,” Journal of Urology, vol. 139, no. 2, pp. 246–250, 1988.
- D. V. Feliciano, “Management of traumatic retroperitoneal hematoma,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 211, no. 2, pp. 109–123, 1990.
- E. Akpinar, B. Peynircioglu, B. Turkbey, B. E. Cil, and F. Balkanci, “Endovascular management of life-threatening retroperitoneal bleeding,” ANZ Journal of Surgery, vol. 78, no. 8, pp. 683–687, 2008.
- A. Dabney and B. Bastani, “Enoxaparin-associated severe retroperitoneal bleeding and abdominal compartment syndrome: a report of two cases,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 1954–1957, 2001.
- I. L. Dubinsky, “Hematoma of the rectus abdominis muscle: case report and review of the literature,” Journal of Emergency Medicine, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 165–167, 1997.
- W. T. Siu, C. N. Tang, B. K. B. Law, C. H. Chau, and M. K. W. Li, “Spontaneous rectus sheath hematoma,” Canadian Journal of Surgery, vol. 46, no. 5, article 390, 2003.
- R. Humphrey, S. J. Carlan, and L. Greenbaum, “Rectus sheath hematoma in pregnancy,” Journal of Clinical Ultrasound, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 306–311, 2001.
- R. Ozaras, M. H. Yilmaz, V. Tahan, S. Uraz, R. Yigitbasi, and H. Senturk, “Spontaneous hematoma of the rectus abdominis muscle: a rare cause of acute abdominal pain in the elderly,” Acta Chirurgica Belgica, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 332–333, 2003.
- C. Titone, M. Lipsius, and J. S. Krakauer, “‘Spontaneous’ hematoma of the rectus abdominis muscle: critical review of 50 cases with emphasis on early diagnosis and treatment,” Surgery, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 568–572, 1972.
- W. B. Cherry and P. S. Mueller, “Rectus sheath hematoma: review of 126 cases at a single institution,” Medicine, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 105–110, 2006.
- J. A. Edlow, P. Juang, S. Margulies, and J. Burstein, “Rectus sheath hematoma,” Annals of Emergency Medicine, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 671–675, 1999.
- D. Maharaj, “Rectus sheath haematoma: a new set of diagnostic features,” Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 78, no. 926, pp. 755–756, 2002.
- J. D. Berná, V. Garcia-Medina, J. Guirao, and J. Garcia-Medina, “Rectus sheath hematoma: diagnostic classification by CT,” Abdominal Imaging, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 62–64, 1996.
- M. Y. Huang and W. H. Chang, “Rectus sheath haematoma: over-diagnosis and under-diagnosis,” Emergency Medicine Journal, vol. 26, no. 1, article 49, 2009.
- P. J. Klingler, G. Wetscher, K. Glaser, J. Tschmelitsch, T. Schmid, and R. A. Hinder, “The use of ultrasound to differentiate rectus sheath hematoma from other acute abdominal disorders,” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 1129–1134, 1999.
- M. S. O'Mara, H. Semins, D. Hathaway, and P. F. Caushaj, “Abdominal compartment syndrome as a consequence of rectus sheath hematoma,” American Surgeon, vol. 69, no. 11, pp. 975–977, 2003.
- A. Luhmann and E. V. Williams, “Rectus sheath hematoma: a series of unfortunate events,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 2050–2055, 2006.
- K. M. Sieh, K. M. Chu, and J. Wong, “Intra-abdominal hypertension and abdominal compartment syndrome,” Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery, vol. 386, no. 1, pp. 53–61, 2001.
- J. Rimola, J. Perendreu, J. Falcó, J. R. Fortuño, A. Massuet, and J. Branera, “Percutaneous arterial embolization in the management of rectus sheath hematoma,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 188, no. 6, pp. W497–W502, 2007.
- R. Zissin, G. Gayer, E. Kots, M. Ellis, G. Bartal, and I. Griton, “Transcatheter arterial embolisation in anticoagulant-related haematoma—a current therapeutic option: a report of four patients and review of the literature,” International Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 61, no. 8, pp. 1321–1327, 2007.
- M. M. D. A. Andrade, M. B. Pimenta, B. D. F. Belezia, R. L. Xavier, and A. M. Neiva, “Abdominal compartment syndrome due to warfarin-related retroperitoneal hematoma,” Clinics, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 781–784, 2007.
- R. Orlando, V. A. Eddy, L. M. Jacobs Jr., and W. K. Stadelmann, “The abdominal compartment syndrome,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 139, no. 4, pp. 415–422, 2004.
- J. D. Hunter and Z. Damani, “Intra-abdominal hypertension and the abdominal compartment syndrome,” Anaesthesia, vol. 59, no. 9, pp. 899–907, 2004.
- J. Walker and L. M. Criddle, “Pathophysiology and management of abdominal compartment syndrome,” American Journal of Critical Care, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 367–373, 2003.