- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 318358, 5 pages
Acute Systemic Viral Infection Masquerading as an Infiltrating Lymphoma in an Elderly Patient: A Case Report and Review of the Literature
1Division of Hematology and Oncology, The University of Arizona Cancer Center, 1515 N Campbell Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
2Division of Hospital Medicine, Mayo Clinic, 5777 E Mayo Boulevard, Phoenix, AZ 85054, USA
3Division of Cardiology, Mayo Clinic, 5777 E Mayo Boulevard, Phoenix, AZ 85054, USA
4Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Mayo Clinic, 5777 E Mayo Boulevard, Phoenix, AZ 85054, USA
5Division of Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic, 5777 E Mayo Boulevard, Phoenix, AZ 85054, USA
Received 12 November 2012; Revised 13 January 2013; Accepted 15 January 2013
Academic Editor: Gianfranco D. Alpini
Copyright © 2013 Hani M. Babiker et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Axelrod and A. J. Finestone, “Infectious mononucleosis in older adults,” American Family Physician, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 1599–1606, 1990.
- J. Halevy and S. Ash, “Infectious mononucleosis in hospitalized patients over forty years of age,” American Journal of the Medical Sciences, vol. 295, no. 2, pp. 122–124, 1988.
- C. A. Horwitz, W. Henle, and G. Henle, “Infectious mononucleosis in patients aged 40 to 72 years: report of 27 cases, including 3 without heterophil-antibody responses,” Medicine, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 256–262, 1983.
- V. Tahan, R. Ozaras, H. Uzunismail et al., “Infectious mononucleosis presenting with severe cholestatic liver disease in the elderly,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 88–89, 2001.
- Y. Edoute, Y. Baruch, J. Lachter, E. Furman, L. Bassan, and N. Assy, “Case report: severe cholestatic jaundice induced by Epstein-Barr virus infection in the elderly,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 821–824, 1998.
- K. E. Schmader, C. M. van der Horst, and M. E. Klotman, “Epstein-Barr virus and the elderly host,” Reviews of Infectious Diseases, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 64–73, 1989.
- A. Hornsleth, J. Siggaard-Andersen, and L. Hjort, “Epidemiology of herpesvirus and respiratory virus infections—part 1. Serologic findings,” Geriatrics, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 61–68, 1975.
- C. A. Horwitz, W. Henle, and G. Henle, “Heterophil-negative infectious mononucleosis and mononucleosis-like illnesses. Laboratory confirmation of 43 cases,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 947–957, 1977.
- O. A. Odumade, K. A. Hogquist, and H. H. Balfour Jr., “Progress and problems in understanding and managing primary epstein-barr virus infections,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 193–209, 2011.
- M. J. Goldacre, C. J. Wotton, and D. G. R. Yeates, “Associations between infectious mononucleosis and cancer: record-linkage studies,” Epidemiology and Infection, vol. 137, no. 5, pp. 672–680, 2009.
- M. Okano, K. Kawa, H. Kimura et al., “Proposed guidelines for diagnosing chronic active Epstein-Barr virus infection,” American Journal of Hematology, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 64–69, 2005.
- D. Torre and R. Tambini, “Acyclovir for treatment of infectious mononucleosis: a meta-analysis,” Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 543–547, 1999.
- I. Dogan, M. Ergun, M. Cindoruk, et al., “Acute hepatitis induced by Epstein-Barr virus infection: a case repot,” Turkish Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 119–121, 2007.
- L. B. Koay, S. L. Tsai, C. S. Sun, et al., “Chronic autoimmune hepatitis with Epstein-Barr virus superinfection: a case report and review of literature,” Hepatogastroentrology, vol. 55, no. 86-87, pp. 1781–1784, 2008.
- J. V. Malfuson, F. Dutasta, J. Konopacki, et al., “Infectious mononucleosis and monoclonal B lymphocytosis in an elderly man,” Journal of American Geriatric Society, vol. 59, no. 11, pp. 2156–2157, 2011.
- M. H. Thoufeeg, S. L. Ali Khan, S. K. Jain, et al., “A case of acute infectious mononucleosis presenting with very high ferritin,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 637–638, 2007.
- S. P. Dourakis, A. Alexopoulou, N. Stamoulis, et al., “Acute Epstein-Barr virus infection in two elderly individuals,” Age Ageing, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 196–198, 2006.