- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 461815, 5 pages
Primary Intimal (Spindle Cell) Sarcoma of the Heart: A Case Report and Review of the Literature
1Department of Pathology, Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G 2C4
2Division of Cardiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada M5T 2S8
3Department of Radiology, Sunnybrook Hospital and University Health Network, North York, ON, Canada M4N 3M5
4Division of Cardiac Surgery, Peter Munk Cardiac Centre, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G 2C4
5Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada M5S 1A8
Received 12 October 2012; Accepted 17 December 2012
Academic Editor: Jahn M. Nesland
Copyright © 2013 A. Ibrahim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Butany, V. Nair, A. Naseemuddin, G. M. Nair, C. Catton, and T. Yau, “Cardiac tumours: diagnosis and management,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 219–228, 2005.
- K. A. Ekmektzoglou, G. F. Samelis, and T. Xanthos, “Heart and tumors: location, metastasis, clinical manifestations, diagnostic approaches and therapeutic considerations,” Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 769–777, 2008.
- K. Reynen, “Frequency of primary tumors of the heart,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 77, no. 1, p. 107, 1996.
- Z. Li, T. Hsieh, and A. Salehi, “Recurrent cardiac intimal (Spindle cell) sarcoma of the left atrium,” Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 103–107, 2013.
- G. J. Cho, H. J. Kim, and J. S. Kang, “Primary cardiac sarcoma in pregnancy: a case report,” Journal of Korean Medical Science, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 940–943, 2006.
- A. Modi, A. Lipnevicius, N. Moorjani, and M. Haw, “Prolonged survival with left atrial spindle cell sarcoma,” Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 703–704, 2009.
- M. J. Perchinsky, S. V. Lichtenstein, and G. F. Tyers, “Primary cardiac tumors: forty years' experience with 71 patients,” Cancer, vol. 79, no. 9, pp. 1809–1815, 1997.
- H. P. Goldberg, F. Glenn, C. T. Dotter, and I. Steinberg, “Myxoma of the left atrium; diagnosis made during life with operative and post-mortem findings,” Circulation, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 762–767, 1952.
- W. R. Chitwood Jr., “Clarence Crafoord and the first successful resection of a cardiac myxoma,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 997–998, 1992.
- B. Bode-Lesniewska, J. Zhao, E. J. M. Speel et al., “Gains of 12q13-14 and overexpression of mdm2 are frequent findings in intimal sarcomas of the pulmonary artery,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 438, no. 1, pp. 57–65, 2001.
- A. Gaumann, D. S. Tews, E. Mayer et al., “Expression of apoptosis-related proteins, p53, and DNA fragmentation in sarcomas of the pulmonary artery,” Cancer, vol. 92, no. 5, pp. 1237–1244, 2001.
- M. H. Seelig, P. J. Klingler, W. A. Oldenburg, and J. L. Blackshear, “Angiosarcoma of the aorta: report of a case and review of the literature,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 732–737, 1998.
- A. P. Burke and R. Virmani, “Sarcomas of the great vessels. A clinicopathologic study,” Cancer, vol. 71, no. 5, pp. 1761–1773, 1993.
- A. Nonomura, H. Kurumaya, N. Kono et al., “Primary pulmonary artery sarcoma. Report of two autopsy cases studied by immunohistochemistry and electron microscopy, and review of 110 cases reported in the literature,” Acta Pathologica Japonica, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 883–896, 1988.
- C. Santonja, A. M. Martín-Hita, A. Dotor, and J. Costa-Subias, “Intimal angiosarcoma of the aorta with tumour embolisation causing mesenteric ischaemia. Report of a case diagnosed using CD31 immunohistochemistry in an intestinal resection specimen,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 438, no. 4, pp. 404–407, 2001.
- J. R. Goldblum and T. W. Rice, “Epithelioid angiosarcoma of the pulmonary artery,” Human Pathology, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 1275–1277, 1995.
- G. Hottenrott, T. Mentzel, A. Peters, A. Schröder, and D. Katenkamp, “Intravascular (“intimal”) epithelioid angiosarcoma: clinicopathological and immunohistochemical analysis of three cases,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 435, no. 5, pp. 473–478, 1999.
- A. Gupta, “Primary cardiac sarcomas,” Expert Review of Cardiovascular Therapy, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 1295–1297, 2008.
- M. L. Grebenc, M. L. Rosado de Christenson, A. P. Burke, C. E. Green, and J. R. Galvin, “Primary cardiac and pericardial neoplasms: radiologic-pathologic correlation,” Radiographics, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 1073–1103, 2000.
- A. P. Burke, D. Cowan, and R. Virmani, “Primary sarcomas of the heart,” Cancer, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 387–395, 1992.