- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 531794, 4 pages
A Patient with Fatal Necrotizing Fasciitis following the Use of Intra-Articular Sodium Hyaluronate Injections: A Case Report
1Internal Medicine, Michigan State University, 138 Service Road, A225 Clinical Center, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
2Internal Medicine and Rheumatology, Michigan State University, 138 Service Road, A225 Clinical Center, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Received 23 September 2013; Accepted 7 December 2013
Academic Editor: Jeffrey M. Weinberg
Copyright © 2013 Shanti Virupannavar and Carla Guggenheim. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. A. McArthur, C. J. Dy, P. D. Fabricant, and A. G. Valle, “Long term safety, efficacy, and patient acceptability of hyaluronic acid injection in patients with painful osteoarthritis of the knee,” Patient Preference and Adherence, vol. 2012, article 6, pp. 905–910, 2012.
- J. M. Hootman and C. G. Helmick, “Projections of US prevalence of arthritis and associated activity limitations,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 226–229, 2006.
- T.-L. Huang, C.-C. Chang, C.-H. Lee, S.-C. Chen, C.-H. Lai, and C.-L. Tsai, “Intra-articular injections of sodium hyaluronate (Hyalgan) in osteoarthritis of the knee. a randomized, controlled, double-blind, multicenter trial in the Asian population,” BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, vol. 12, article 221, 2011.
- T. E. Clegg, D. Caborn, and C. Mauffrey, “Viscosupplementation with hyaluronic acid in the treatment for cartilage lesions: a review of current evidence and future directions,” European Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery & Traumatology, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 119–124, 2013.
- “Hyalgan [package insert],” Fidia Pharma, Parsippany, NJ, USA, 2011.
- J. F. R. Hammesfahr, A. B. Knopf, and T. Stitik, “Safety of intra-articular hyaluronates for pain associated with osteoarthritis of the knee,” The American Journal of Orthopedics, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 277–283, 2003.
- D. Neustadt, J. Caldwell, M. Bell, J. Wade, and J. Gimbel, “Clinical effects of intraarticular injection of high molecular weight hyaluronan (Orthovisc) in osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized, controlled, multicenter trial,” The Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 1928–1936, 2005.
- M. M. Cohen, R. D. Altman, R. Hollstrom, C. Hollstrom, C. Sun, and B. Gipson, “Safety and efficacy of intra-articular sodium hyaluronate (Hyalgan) in a randomized, double-blind study for osteoarthritis of the ankle,” Foot & Ankle International, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 657–663, 2008.
- D. H. Neustadt, “Long-term efficacy and safety of intra-articular sodium hyaluronate (Hyalgan) in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee,” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 307–311, 2003.
- P. Jüni, S. Reichenbach, S. Trelle et al., “Efficacy and safety of intraarticular hylan or hyaluronic acids for osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized controlled trial,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 3610–3619, 2007.
- C. Peterson and J. Hodler, “Adverse events from diagnostic and therapeutic joint injections: a literature review,” Skeletal Radiology, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 5–12, 2011.
- D. K. Das, M. G. Baker, and K. Venugopal, “Risk factors, microbiological findings and outcomes of necrotizing fasciitis in New Zealand: a retrospective chart review,” BMC Infectious Diseases, vol. 12, article 348, 2012.
- B. Sarani, M. Strong, J. Pascual, and C. W. Schwab, “Necrotizing fasciitis: current concepts and review of the literature,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 208, no. 2, pp. 279–288, 2009.
- F. Fanfarillo, F. Pace, R. Maida, D. Pignata, and G. Cerqua, “Necrotizing fasciitis following intra-articular steroid injection: case report and review of the literature,” Geriatrics & Gerontology International, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 353–355, 2012.
- A. Yam, L.-C. Teoh, and F.-C. Yong, “Necrotising fasciitis after corticosteroid injection for trigger finger: a severe complication from a “safe” procedure,” The Journal of Hand Surgery, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 689–690, 2009.
- F. Unglaub, T. Guehring, P. C. Fuchs, A. Perez-Bouza, A. Groger, and N. Pallua, “Necrotizing fasciitis following therapeutic injection in a shoulder joint,” Orthopade, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 250–252, 2005.
- R. Birkinshaw, J. O'Donnell, and I. Sammy, “Necrotising fasciitis as a complication of steroid injection,” Journal of Accident & Emergency Medicine, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 52–54, 1997.
- G. Okan, S. Yaylaci, U. Ince, and S. Zorer, “Necrotizing fasciitis following intramuscular diclofenac injection,” Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1521–1522, 2008.
- G. Verfaillie, S. Knape, and L. Corne, “A case of fatal necrotizing fasciitis after intramuscular administration of diclofenac,” European Journal of Emergency Medicine, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 270–273, 2002.
- S. Shemesh, S. Heller, M. Salai, and S. Velkes, “Septic arthritis of the knee following intraarticular injections in elderly patients: report of six patients,” Israel Medical Association Journal, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 757–760, 2011.
- C. P. Charalambous, M. Tryfonidis, S. Sadiq, P. Hirst, and A. Paul, “Septic arthritis following intra-articular steroid injection of the knee—a survey of current practice regarding antiseptic technique used during intra-articular steroid injection of the knee,” Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 386–390, 2003.
- C. Albert, O. Brocq, D. Gerard, C. Roux, and L. Euller-Ziegler, “Septic knee arthritis after intra-articular hyaluronate injection: two case reports,” Joint Bone Spine, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 205–207, 2006.
- E. A. Yacyshyn and E. L. Matteson, “Gout after intraarticular injection of hylan GF-20 (Synvisc),” The Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 26, no. 12, article 2717, 1999.
- A. W. Rutjes, P. Jüni, B. R. da Casta, S. Trelle, E. Nüesch, and S. Reichenbach, “Viscosupplementation for osteoarthritis of the knee: a systemic review and meta-analysis,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 157, no. 3, pp. 180–191, 2012.
- J. Richmond, D. Hunter, J. Irrgang, et al., “Treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee (nonarthoplasty),” Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 591–600, 2009.
- K. Taviloglu, N. Cabioglu, A. Cagatay et al., “Idiopathic necrotizing fasciitis: risk factors and strategies for management,” American Surgeon, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 315–320, 2005.
- J. Richmond, D. Hunter, J. Irrgang et al., “American academy of orthopaedic surgeons clinical practice guideline on the treatment of osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee,” The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 990–993, 2010.
- A. J. Headley, “Necrotizing soft tissue infections: a primary care review,” American Family Physician, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 323–328, 2003.
- M. C. Hochberg, R. D. Altman, K. T. April et al., “American College of Rheumatology 2012 recommendations for the use of nonpharmacologic and pharmacologic therapies in osteoarthritis of the hand, hip, and knee,” Arthritis Care & Research, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 465–474, 2012.
- A. Jørgensen, K. Stengaard-Pedersen, O. Simonsen et al., “Intra-articular hyaluronan is without clinical effect in knee osteoarthritis: a multicentre, randomised, placebo-controlled, double-blind study of 337 patients followed for 1 year,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 1097–1102, 2010.
- Eisenberg Center at Oregon Health and Sciences University, “Three treatments for osteoarthritis of the knee: evidence shows lack of benefit,” Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US), 2009.