- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 609727, 4 pages
Gastric Adenocarcinoma after Gastric Bypass for Morbid Obesity: A Case Report and Review of the Literature
Department of Surgery, Digestive Diseases Surgical Unit, Faculty of Medical Sciences, State University of Campinas (UNICAMP), Rua Tessália Vieira de Camargo, 126 Cidade Universitária Zeferino Vaz, 13083-887 Campinas, SP, Brazil
Received 28 October 2012; Accepted 21 January 2013
Academic Editor: Chin-Jung Wang
Copyright © 2013 Maxwel Capsy Boga Ribeiro et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. D. Lara, S. N. Kothari, and H. J. Sugerman, “Surgical management of obesity: a review of the evidence relating to the health benefits and risks,” Treatments in Endocrinology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 55–64, 2005.
- L. A. Korswagen, J. G. Schrama, W. Bruins Slot, and M. A. J. M. Hunfeld, “Adenocarcinoma of the lower esophagus after placement of a gastric band,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 389–392, 2009.
- H. Buchwald, Y. Avidor, E. Braunwald et al., “Bariatric surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” JAMA, vol. 292, no. 14, pp. 1724–1737, 2004.
- E. E. Mason and C. Ito, “Gastric bypass in obesity,” Surgical Clinics of North America, vol. 47, pp. 1345–1351, 1967.
- R. Kuruba, M. Jawad, R. C. Karl, and M. M. Murr, “Technique of resection of esophageal adenocarcinoma after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and literature review of esophagogastric tumors after bariatric procedures,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 576–581, 2009.
- P. K. Jain, B. Ray, and C. M. S. Royston, “Carcinoma in the gastric pouch years after vertical banded gastroplasty,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 136–137, 2003.
- E. G. Flickinger, D. R. Sinor, W. J. Pories, R. R. Sloss, H. K. Park, and J. H. Gibson, “bypassed stomach,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 149, pp. 151–156, 1985.
- D. R. Sinar, E. G. Flickinger, H. K. Park, and R. R. Sloss, “Retrograde endoscopy of the bypassed stomach segment after gastric bypass surgery: unexpected lesions,” Southern Medical Journal, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 255–258, 1985.
- M. Sundbom, R. Nyman, and H. Hedenström, “Investigation of the excluded stomach after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 11, pp. 25–27, 2001.
- B. J. Dicken, D. L. Bigam, C. Cass, J. R. Mackey, A. A. Joy, and S. M. Hamilton, “Gastric adenocarcinoma: review and considerations for future directions,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 241, no. 1, pp. 27–39, 2005.
- B. J. Watkins, S. Blackmun, and M. E. Kuehner, “Gastric adenocarcinoma after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: access and evaluation of excluded stomach,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 644–647, 2007.
- A. Csendes, P. Burdiles, K. Papapietro et al., “Results of gastric bypass plus resection of the distal excluded gastric segment in patients with morbid obesity,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 121–131, 2005.
- I. Raijman, S. V. Strother, and W. L. Donegan, “Gastric cancer after gastric bypass for obesity: case report,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 191–194, 1991.
- M. A. L. Fobi, K. Chicola, and H. Lee, “Access to the bypassed stomach after gastric bypass,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 289–295, 1998.
- A. Escalona, S. Guzmán, L. Ibáñez, L. Meneses, A. Huete, and A. Solar, “Gastric cancer after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 15, pp. 423–427, 2005.
- R. V. Lord, P. D. Edwards, and M. J. Coleman, “Gastric cancer in the bypassed segment after operation for morbid obesity,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery, vol. 67, no. 8, pp. 580–582, 1997.
- L. Khitin, R. E. Roses, and D. H. Birkett, “Cancer in the gastric remnant after gastric bypass: a case report,” Current Surgery, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 521–523, 2003.
- D. A. Corsini, C. A. M. Simoneti, G. Moreira, S. E. Lima, and A. B. Garrido, “Cancer in the excluded stomach 4 years after gastric bypass,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 932–934, 2006.
- J. L. Harper, D. Beech, D. S. Tichansky, and A. K. Madan, “Cancer in the bypassed stomach presenting early after gastric bypass,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 1268–1271, 2007.
- M. Toledano Trincado, J. C. M. Del Olmo, J. García Castaño et al., “Gastric pouch carcinoma after gastric bypass for morbid obesity,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 1215–1217, 2005.
- C. Zirak, J. Lemaitre, E. Lebrun, S. Journé, and P. Carlier, “Adenocarcinoma of the pouch after silastic ring vertical gastroplasty,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 693–694, 2002.
- A. Papakonstantinou, P. Moustafellos, I. Terzis, C. Stratopoulos, and E. I. Hadjiyannakis, “Gastric cancer occurring after vertical banded gastroplasty,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 118–120, 2002.
- A. Belhaj, L. Memmo, A. Mehdi, F. Mboti, and J. Closset, “Gastric adenocarcinoma following “silastic vertical ring gastroplasty”: case report,” Revue Medicale de Bruxelles, vol. 31, pp. 459–462, 2010.
- I. Chebib, P. L. Beck, N. G. Church, and S. A. C. Medlicott, “Gastric pouch adenocarcinoma and tubular adenoma of the pylorus: a field effect of dysplasia following bariatric surgery,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 843–846, 2007.
- S. Nagini, “Carcinoma of the stomach: a review of epidemiology, pathogenesis, molecular genetics and chemoprevention,” World Journal of Gastrointestinal Oncology, vol. 4, pp. 156–169, 2012.
- A. Csendes, A. M. Burgos, G. Smok, and M. Beltran, “Endoscopic and histologic findings of the foregut in 426 patients with morbid obesity,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 28–34, 2007.
- R. M. Cerqueira, M. C. Manso, M. R. Correia et al., “Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy in obese patients undergoing gastric bypass surgery—fourteen days superior to seven days?” Obesity Surgery, vol. 21, pp. 1377–1381, 2011.
- M. A. Küper, T. Kratt, K. M. Kramer et al., “Effort, safety, and findings of routine preoperative endoscopic evaluation of morbidly obese patients undergoing bariatric surgery,” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 24, pp. 1996–2001, 2010.