- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 618358, 4 pages
Colonization of a Central Venous Catheter by the Hyaline Fungus Fusarium solani Species Complex: A Case Report and SEM Imaging
1Laboratory of Medical Microbiology, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine,
University of Insubria and Ospedale di Circolo e Fondazione Macchi, 21100 Varese, Italy
2Laboratory of Human Morphology “L. Cattaneo”, Department of Morphology and Surgery, University of Insubria, 21100 Varese, Italy
3Forensic Institute, Department of Life Sciences, University of Insubria, 21100 Varese, Italy
Received 9 April 2013; Revised 25 May 2013; Accepted 9 June 2013
Academic Editor: Jacques F. Meis
Copyright © 2013 Alberto Colombo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. J. Anaissie, R. T. Kuchar, J. H. Rex et al., “Fusariosis associated with pathogenic Fusarium species colonization of a hospital water system: a new paradigm for the epidemiology of opportunistic mold infections,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 1871–1878, 2001.
- L. Pagano, M. Akova, G. Dimopoulos, R. Herbrecht, L. Drgona, and N. Blijlevens, “Risk assessment and prognostic factors for mould-related diseases in immunocompromised patients,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 66, no. 1, Article ID dkq437, pp. i5–i14, 2011.
- M. Nucci, E. J. Anaissie, F. Queiroz-Telles et al., “Outcome predictors of 84 patients with hematologic malignancies and Fusarium infection,” Cancer, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 315–319, 2003.
- S. Inano, M. Kimura, J. Iida, and N. Arima, “Combination therapy of voriconazole and terbinafine for disseminated fusariosis: case report and literature review,” Journal of Infection and Chemotherapy, 2013.
- G. Zhou, W.-Z. Whong, T. Ong, and B. Chen, “Development of a fungus-specific PCR assay for detecting low-level fungi in an indoor environment,” Molecular and Cellular Probes, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 339–348, 2000.
- G. Maccari, F. Gemignani, and S. Landi, “COMPASSS (COMplex PAttern of Sequence Search Software), a simple and effective tool for mining complex motifs in whole genomes,” Bioinformatics, vol. 26, no. 14, Article ID btq258, pp. 1777–1778, 2010.
- H. Wang, M. Xiao, F. Kong et al., “Accurate and practical identification of 20 Fusarium species by seven-locus sequence analysis and reverse line blot hybridization, and an in vitro antifungal susceptibility study,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 1890–1898, 2011.
- E. Bellemain, T. Carlsen, C. Brochmann, E. Coissac, P. Taberlet, and H. Kauserud, “ITS as an environmental DNA barcode for fungi: an in silico approach reveals potential PCR biases,” BMC Microbiology, vol. 10, article 189, 2010.
- T. Congiu, L. Schembri, M. Tozzi et al., “Scanning electron microscopy examination of endothelium morphology in human carotid plaques,” Micron, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 532–536, 2010.
- J. F. Leslie and B. F. Summerell, The Fusarium Laboratory Manual, Blackwell Publishing, Ames, Iowa, USA, 2006.
- D. A. Sutton and M. E. Brandt, “Fusarium and other opportunistic hyaline fungi,” in Manual of Clinical Microbiology, J. Versalovic, Ed., pp. 1853–1879, ASM Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2011.
- G. Fratino, A. C. Molinari, S. Parodi et al., “Central venous catheter-related complications in children with oncological/hematological diseases: an observational study of 418 devices,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 648–654, 2005.
- K.-H. Park, S.-H. Kim, E. H. Song et al., “Development of bacteraemia or fungaemia after removal of colonized central venous catheters in patients with negative concomitant blood cultures,” Clinical Microbiology and Infection, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 742–746, 2010.
- M. Muhammed, J. J. Coleman, H. A. Carneiro, and E. Mylonakis, “The challenge of managing fusariosis,” Virulence, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 91–96, 2011.