- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 659078, 5 pages
Minimally Invasive Direct Repair of Bilateral Lumbar Spine Pars Defects in Athletes
1Department of Neurological Surgery and the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Lois Pope Life Center, 1095 NW 14th Terrace (D4-6), Miami, FL 33136, USA
2Department of Orthopaedics, University of Miami Miller, School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Received 29 January 2013; Accepted 12 April 2013
Academic Editor: Jeffrey C. Wang
Copyright © 2013 Gabriel A. Widi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. F. Bell, M. G. Ehrlich, and D. J. Zaleske, “Brace treatment for symptomatic spondylolisthesis,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 236, pp. 192–198, 1988.
- A. V. Bonnici, S. R. Koka, and D. J. Richards, “Results of Buck screw fusion in grade I spondylolisthesis,” Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, vol. 84, no. 5, pp. 270–273, 1991.
- K. Higashino, K. Sairyo, S. Katoh, T. Sakai, H. Kosaka, and N. Yasui, “Minimally invasive technique for direct repair of the pars defects in young adults using a spinal endoscope: a technical note,” Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 182–186, 2007.
- R. P. Brennan, P. Y. Smucker, and E. M. Horn, “Minimally invasive image-guided direct repair of bilateral L-5 pars interarticularis defects: technical note,” Neurosurgical Focus, vol. 25, no. 2, article E13, 2008.
- M. R. Lim, S. C. Yoon, and D. W. Green, “Symptomatic spondylolysis: diagnosis and treatment,” Current Opinion in Pediatrics, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 37–46, 2004.
- W. J. Beutler, B. E. Fredrickson, A. Murtland, C. A. Sweeney, W. D. Grant, and D. Baker, “The natural history of spondylolysis and spondylolisthesis: 45-year follow-up evaluation,” Spine, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 1027–1035, 2003.
- Z. Askar, D. Wardlaw, and M. Koti, “Scott wiring for direct repair of lumbar spondylolysis,” Spine, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 354–357, 2003.
- J. Iwamoto, T. Takeda, and K. Wakano, “Returning athletes with severe low back pain and spondylolysis to original sporting activities with conservative treatment,” Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 346–351, 2004.
- P. D. Pizzutillo and C. D. Hummer, “Nonoperative treatment for painful adolescent spondylolysis or spondylolisthesis,” Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 538–540, 1989.
- J. A. Ulibarri, P. A. Anderson, T. Escarcega, D. Mann, and K. J. Noonan, “Biomechanical and clinical evaluation of a novel technique for surgical repair of spondylolysis in adolescents,” Spine, vol. 31, no. 18, pp. 2067–2072, 2006.
- M. Kimura, “My method of filing the lesion with spongy bone in spondylolysis and spondylolistesis,” Seikeigeka, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 285–296, 1968.
- U. K. Debnath, B. J. C. Freeman, P. Gregory, D. de la Harpe, R. W. Kerslake, and J. K. Webb, “Clinical outcome and return to sport after the surgical treatment of spondylolysis in young athletes,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 244–249, 2003.
- K. Sairyo, S. Katoh, T. Sakamaki, S. Komatsubara, K. Endo, and N. Yasui, “Three successive stress fractures at the same vertebral level in an adolescent baseball player,” The American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 606–610, 2003.
- R. O. Nicol and J. H. S. Scott, “Lytic spondylolysis. Repair by wiring,” Spine, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 1027–1030, 1986.
- Y. Tokuhashi and H. Matsuzaki, “Repair of defects in spondylolysis by segmental pedicular screw hook fixation: a preliminary report,” Spine, vol. 21, no. 17, pp. 2041–2045, 1996.
- M. Deguchi, A. J. Rapoff, and T. A. Zdeblick, “Biomechanical comparison of spondylolysis fixation techniques,” Spine, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 328–333, 1999.
- K. Sairyo, V. K. Goel, A. Faizan, S. Vadapalli, S. Biyani, and N. Ebraheim, “Buck's direct repair of lumbar spondylolysis restores disc stresses at the involved and adjacent levels,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 1020–1026, 2006.
- J. E. Buck, “Direct repair of the defect in spondylolisthesis. Preliminary report,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 432–437, 1970.
- Y. T. Kim, H. Lee, C. S. Lee, D. H. Lee, C. J. Hwang, and T. S. Ahn, “Direct repair of the pars interarticularis defect in spondylolysis,” Journal of Spinal Disorders and Techniques. In press.
- A. K. Pedersen and R. Hagen, “Spondylolysis and spondylolisthesis. Treatment by internal fixation and bone-grafting of the defect,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 15–24, 1988.
- S. Rajasekaran, M. Subbiah, and A. P. Shetty, “Direct repair of lumbar spondylolysis by Buck's technique,” The Indian Journal of Orthopaedics, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 136–140, 2011.
- M. N. Songer and R. Rovin, “Repair of the pars interarticularis defect with a cable-screw construct: a preliminary report,” Spine, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 263–269, 1998.
- Y. Kawaguchi, H. Matsui, and H. Tsuji, “Back muscle injury after posterior lumbar spine surgery: part 1: histologic and histochemical analyses in rats,” Spine, vol. 19, no. 22, pp. 2590–2597, 1994.
- Y. Kawaguchi, H. Matsui, and H. Tsuji, “Back muscle injury after posterior lumbar spine surgery: part 2: histologic and histochemical analyses in humans,” Spine, vol. 19, no. 22, pp. 2598–2602, 1994.
- N. Amoretti, L. Huwart, O. Hauger, et al., “Computed tomography- and fluoroscopy-guided percutaneous screw fixation of low-grade isthmic spondylolisthesis in adults: a new technique,” European Radiology, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 2841–2847, 2012.