- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 751329, 4 pages
Puerperal Group A Streptococcal Infections: A Case Series and Discussion
Orlando Health, Orlando, FL 32806, USA
Received 31 July 2012; Revised 19 February 2013; Accepted 26 February 2013
Academic Editor: Bruno Megarbane
Copyright © 2013 Mary T. Busowski et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. N. Lynskey, R. A. Lawrenson, and S. Sriskandan, “New understandings in Streptococcus pyogenes,” Current Opinion in Infectious Diseases, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 196–202, 2011.
- J. L. B. Byrne, K. M. Aagaard-Tillery, J. L. Johnson, L. J. Wright, and R. M. Silver, “Group A streptococcal puerperal sepsis: initial characterization of virulence factors in association with clinical parameters,” Journal of Reproductive Immunology, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 74–83, 2009.
- L. Nathan, M. T. Peters, A. M. Ahmed, and K. J. Leveno, “The return of life-threating puerperal sepsis caused by group A streptococci,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 169, no. 3, pp. 571–572, 1993.
- H. Gergis, S. Barik, K. Lim, and W. Porter, “Life-threatening puerperal infection with group A Streptococcus,” Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, vol. 92, no. 8, pp. 412–413, 1999.
- H. Abouzeid, P. Wu, N. Mohammed, and M. Al-Samarrai, “Group A streptococcal puerperal sepsis: the return of a potentially fatal disease,” Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 806–808, 2005.
- D. E. Castagnola, M. K. Hoffman, J. Carlson, and C. Flynn, “Necrotizing cervical and uterine infection in the postpartum period caused by Group A Streptococcus,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 533–535, 2008.
- R. M. Silver, L. N. Heddleston, J. A. McGregor, and R. S. Gibbs, “Life-threatening puerperal infection due to a group A streptococci,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 894–897, 1992.
- J. A. Rowan and R. A. North, “Necrotizing fasciitis in the puerperium,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 173, no. 1, pp. 241–242, 1995.
- S. Noronha, C. T. Yue, and M. Sekosan, “Puerperal group A beta-hemolytic streptococcal toxic shock-like syndrome,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 88, no. 4, p. 728, 1996.
- A. G. Castro, J. C. Rodriguez-Borregan, T. Obeso, A. Castellanos, A. Perez-Ceballos, and J. R. de Miguel Sesmero, “Necrotizing fasciitis after cesarean section,” Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 277, no. 6, pp. 579–581, 2008.
- T. Feigenberg, H. Y. Sela, Y. H. Applbaum, and D. Mankuta, “Puerperal widespread pyomyositis after group A streptococcal toxic shock syndrome,” Israel Medical Association Journal, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 483–484, 2008.
- K. R. Stefonek, L. L. Maerz, M. P. Nielsen, R. E. Besser, and P. R. Cieslak, “Group A streptococcal puerperal sepsis preceded by positive surveillance cultures,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 98, no. 5, pp. 846–848, 2001.
- K. Sivanesan, M. Singh, and D. Burch, “Puerperal group A Streptococcus infection,” Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 281, no. 1, pp. 135–136, 2010.
- S. Lurie, H. Vaknine, A. Izakson, T. Levy, O. Sadan, and A. Golan, “Group A Streptococcus causing a life-threatening postpartum necrotizing myometritis: a case report,” Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Research, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 645–648, 2008.
- J. Raymond, L. Schlegel, F. Garnier, and A. Bouvet, “Molecular characterization of Streptococcus pyogenes isolates to investigate an outbreak of puerperal sepsis,” Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 455–461, 2005.
- I. Chuang, C. Van Beneden, B. Beall, and A. Schuchat, “Population-based surveillance for postpartum invasive group A Streptococcus infections, 1995–2000,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 665–670, 2002.
- D. M. Aronoff and Z. D. Mulla, “Postpartum invasive group A streptococcal disease in the modern era,” Infectious Diseases in Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 2008, Article ID 796892, 6 pages, 2008.
- M. Deutscher, M. Lewis, E. R. Zell, T. H. Taylor, C. Van Beneden, and S. Schrag, “Incidence and severity of invasive Streptococcus pneumoniae, group a Streptococcus, and group b Streptococcus infections among pregnant and postpartum women,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 114–123, 2011.
- S. Sriskandan, “Severe peripartum sepsis,” Journal Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh, vol. 41, pp. 339–346, 2011.
- J. Darenberg, B. Luca-Harari, A. Jasir et al., “Molecular and clinical characteristics of invasive group A streptococcal infection in Sweden,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 450–458, 2007.
- N. Daneman, K. A. Green, D. E. Low et al., “Surveillance for hospital outbreaks of invasive group A streptococcal infections in Ontario, Canada, 1992 to 2000,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 147, no. 4, pp. 234–241, 2007.
- M. A. Gamba, M. Martinelli, H. J. Schaad et al., “Familial transmission of a serious disease-producing group a Streptococcus clone: case reports and review,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 1118–1121, 1997.
- M. R. Wallace, J. C. Garavaglia, and E. L. Kaplan, “Prosector’s streptococcal pharyngitis,” Infectious Diseases in Clinical Practice, vol. 20, pp. 349–350, 2012.
- M. A. De Moya, M. G. Del Carmen, R. M. Allain, R. E. Hirschberg, J. A. O. Shepard, and R. L. Kradin, “Case 33-2009: a 35-year-old woman with fever, abdominal pain, and hypotension after cesarean section,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 361, no. 17, pp. 1626–1697, 2009.
- K. Ooe and H. Udagawa, “A new type of fulminant group a streptococcal infection in obstetric patients: report of two cases,” Human Pathology, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 509–512, 1997.
- H. Udagawa, Y. Oshio, and Y. Shimizu, “Serious group A streptococcal infection around delivery,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 153–157, 1999.
- L. Valiquette, D. E. Low, and A. J. McGeer, “Assessing the impact of intravenous immunoglobulin in the management of streptococcal toxic shock syndrome: a noble but difficult quest,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 49, no. 9, pp. 1377–1379, 2009.
- Prevention of Invasive Group A Streptococcal Infections Workshop Participants, “Prevention of Invasive Group A streptococcal disease among household contacts of case patients and among postpartum and postsurgical patients: recommendations from the centers for disease control and prevention,” Criminal Investigation Department, vol. 35, pp. 950–959, 2002.