- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Medicine
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 645045, 7 pages
Primary Fallopian Tube Carcinoma Arising in the Setting of Chronic Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
Pathology Department, Port Macquarie Base Hospital, Port Macquarie, NSW 2444, Australia
Received 28 September 2013; Revised 3 December 2013; Accepted 3 December 2013; Published 12 January 2014
Academic Editor: Jahn M. Nesland
Copyright © 2014 Ibrahim M. Zardawi. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Riskai, A. Leminen, and E. Pukkala, “Sociodemographic determinants of incidence of primary fallopian tube carcinoma, Finland 1953–97,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 104, no. 5, pp. 643–645, 2003.
- D. Pectasides, E. Pectasides, and T. Economopoulos, “Fallopian tube carcinoma: a review,” The Oncologist, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 902–912, 2006.
- H. Y. Lau, Y. J. Chen, M. S. Yen, R. F. Chen, S. O. Yeh, and N. F. Twu, “Primary fallopian tube carcinoma: a clinicopathologic analysis and literature review,” Journal of the Chinese Medical Association, vol. 76, no. 10, pp. 583–587, 2013.
- A. Riska, R. Sund, E. Pukkala, M. Gissler, and A. Leminen, “Parity, tubal sterilization, hysterectomy and risk of primary fallopian tube carcinoma in Finland, 1975–2004,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 120, no. 6, pp. 1351–1354, 2007.
- D. Vicus, A. Finch, B. Rosen et al., “Risk factors for carcinoma of the fallopian tube in women with and without a germline BRCA mutation,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 155–159, 2010.
- S. J. Jordan, A. C. Green, D. C. Whiteman et al., “Serous ovarian, fallopian tube and primary peritoneal cancers: a comparative epidemiological analysis,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 122, no. 7, pp. 1598–1603, 2008.
- A. Riska, J. I. Martinsen, K. Kjaerheim et al., “Occupation and risk of primary Fallopian tube carcinoma in Nordic countries,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 131, no. 1, pp. 186–192, 2012.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, “Australian demographic statistics,” Cat. No. 3101.0, 2011.
- M. M. Madeleine, T. Anttila, S. M. Schwartz et al., “Risk of cervical cancer associated with Chlamydia trachomatis antibodies by histology, HPV type and HPV cofactors,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 120, no. 3, pp. 650–655, 2007.
- M. Ponzoni, A. J. M. Ferreri, M. Guidoboni et al., “Chlamydia infection and lymphomas: association beyond ocular adnexal lymphomas highlighted by multiple detection methods,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 14, no. 18, pp. 5794–5800, 2008.
- F. A. Tavassoli and P. Devilee, Eds., WHO Classification of Tumours: Pathology and Genetics of Tumours of the Breast and Female Genital Organs, IARC Press, Lyon, France, 2003.
- L. Dubeau and R. Drapkin, “Coming into focus: the non-ovarian origins of ovarian cancer,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 24, supplement 8, pp. viii28–viii35, 2013.
- D. W. Kindelberger, Y. Lee, A. Miron et al., “Intraepithelial carcinoma of the fimbria and pelvic serous carcinoma: evidence for a causal relationship,” The American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 161–169, 2007.
- Y. Lee, F. Medeiros, D. Kindelberger, M. J. Callahan, M. G. Muto, and C. P. Crum, “Advances in the recognition of tubal intraepithelial carcinoma: applications to cancer screening and the pathogenesis of ovarian cancer,” Advances in Anatomic Pathology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2006.
- F. Medeiros, M. G. Muto, Y. Lee et al., “The tubal fimbria is a preferred site for early adenocarcinoma in women with familial ovarian cancer syndrome,” The American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 230–236, 2006.
- R. J. Kurman, R. Vang, J. Junge, C. G. Hannibal, S. K. Kjaer, and I.-M. Shih, “Papillary tubal hyperplasia: the putative precursor of ovarian atypical proliferative (borderline) serous tumors, noninvasive implants, and endosalpingiosis,” The American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 1605–1614, 2011.
- G. L. Hold and E. M. El-Omar, “Genetic aspects of inflammation and cancer,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 410, no. 2, pp. 225–235, 2008.
- H.-W. Lin, Y.-Y. Tu, S. Y. Lin et al., “Risk of ovarian cancer in women with pelvic inflammatory disease: a population-based study,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 900–904, 2011.
- C. B. Rasmussen, M. T. Faber, A. Jensen et al., “Pelvic inflammatory disease and risk of invasive ovarian cancer and ovarian borderline tumors,” Cancer Causes Control, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 1459–1464, 2013.
- J. Skapinyecz, I. Smid, A. Horváth, C. Jeney, L. Kardos, and P. Kovács, “Pelvic inflammatory disease is a risk factor for cervical cancer,” European Journal of Gynaecological Oncology, vol. 24, pp. 401–404, 2003.
- J. P. Carvalho and F. M. Carvalho, “Is Chlamydia-infected tubal fimbria the origin of ovarian cancer?” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 71, pp. 690–693, 2008.
- R. B. Ness, M. T. Goodman, C. Shen, and R. C. Brunham, “Serologic evidence of past infection with Chlamydia trachomatis, in relation to ovarian cancer,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 187, no. 7, pp. 1147–1152, 2003.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, May 2013, www.abs.gov.au.
- V. Verma, D. Shen, P. C. Sieving, and C.-C. Chan, “The role of infectious agents in the etiology of ocular adnexal neoplasia,” Survey of Ophthalmology, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 312–331, 2008.
- A. Ruiz, U. Reischl, S. H. Swerdlow et al., “Extranodal marginal zone B-cell lymphomas of the ocular adnexa: multiparameter analysis of 34 cases including interphase molecular cytogenetics and PCR for Chlamydia psittaci,” The American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 792–802, 2007.