- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Nephrology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 274341, 3 pages
Bilateral Renal Cortical Necrosis in Meningococcal Meningitis
1Department of Nephrology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9, Ireland
2Department of Pathology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9, Ireland
Received 27 July 2011; Accepted 27 September 2011
Academic Editors: Y.-L. Chiu, R. Enríquez, A. Papagianni, and A. K. Saxena
Copyright © 2011 C. Kennedy et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. M. Scheld, U. Koedel, B. Nathan, and H. W. Pfister, “Pathophysiology of bacterial meningitis: mechanism(s) of neuronal injury,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 186, no. 2, pp. S225–S233, 2002.
- A. R. Tunkel, B. J. Hartman, S. L. Kaplan et al., “Practice guidelines for the management of bacterial meningitis,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 1267–1284, 2004.
- D. van de Beek, J. De Gans, L. Spanjaard, M. Weisfelt, J. B. Reitsma, and M. Vermeulen, “Clinical features and prognostic factors in adults with bacterial meningitis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 351, no. 18, pp. 1849–1923, 2004.
- M. L. Durand, S. B. Calderwood, D. J. Weber et al., “Acute bacterial meningitis in adults—a review of 493 episodes,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 328, no. 1, pp. 21–28, 1993.
- M. S. Marotto, P. C. F. Marotto, J. Sztajnbok, and A. C. Seguro, “Outcome of acute renal failure in meningococcemia,” Renal Failure, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 807–810, 1997.
- M. van Deuren, F. W. Santman, R. van Dalen, R. W. Sauerwein, L. F. R. Span, and J. W. M. van der Meer, “Plasma and whole blood exchange in meningococcal sepsis,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 424–430, 1992.
- J. P. Grunfeld and N. Pertuiset, “Acute renal failure in pregnancy: 1987,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 359–362, 1987.
- J. D. Wells, E. G. Margolin, and E. A. Gall, “Renal cortical necrosis. Clinical and pathologic features in twenty-one cases,” The American Journal of Medicine, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 257–267, 1960.
- K. S. Chugh, V. Jha, V. Sakhuja, and K. Joshi, “Acute renal cortical necrosis—a study of 113 patients,” Renal Failure, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 37–47, 1994.
- R. A. Matlin and N. E. Gary, “Acute cortical necrosis: case report and review of the literature,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 110–118, 1974.
- H. J. Kim and O. K. Cho, “CT scan as an important diagnostic tool in the initial phase of diffuse bilateral renal cortical necrosis,” Clinical Nephrology, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 125–130, 1996.
- D. F. Sallomi, M. Yaqoob, E. White, and R. Finn, “Case report: the diagnostic value of contrast-enhanced computed tomography in acute bilateral renal cortical necrosis,” Clinical Radiology, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 126–127, 1995.
- H.-S. Toh, K.-C. Cheng, W.-K. Kuar, and C.-K. Tan, “The Case. Generalized petechiae and acute renal failure: bilateral renal cortical necrosis in meningococcemia,” Kidney International, vol. 73, no. 12, pp. 1443–1444, 2008.
- I. Chervu, M. Koss, and V. M. Campese, “Bilateral renal cortical necrosis in two patients with Neisseria meningitidis sepsis,” American Journal of Nephrology, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 411–415, 1991.
- M. Agraharkar, M. Fahlen, M. Siddiqui, and S. Rajaraman, “Waterhouse-Friderichsen syndrome and bilateral renal cortical necrosis in meningococcal sepsis,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 396–400, 2000.