- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Neurological Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 150813, 7 pages
Ataxia, Ophthalmoplegia, and Areflexia: What Would You Think?
1Neurology Department, St Georges Healthcare NHS Trust, London SW17 0QT, UK
2Clinical Neuropathology Department, King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, London SE5 9RS, UK
Received 5 March 2012; Accepted 28 April 2012
Academic Editors: A. Atri and A. Fasano
Copyright © 2012 N. Karsan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. J. Eberth, “Zur Entwickelung des Epithelioms (Cholesteatoms) der Pia und der Lunge,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 51–63, 1869.
- W. F. Beerman, “The absence of brain tumour symptoms in cases of tumours of the brain,” California State Journal of Medicine, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 234–235, 1913.
- W. R. Wasserstrom, J. P. Glass, and J. B. Posner, “Diagnosis and treatment of leptomeningeal metastases from solid tumors: experience with 90 patients,” Cancer, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 759–772, 1982.
- J. G. Kaplan, T. G. DeSouza, A. Farkash et al., “Leptomeningeal metastases: comparison of clinical features and laboratory data of solid tumors, lymphomas and leukemias,” Journal of Neuro-Oncology, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 225–229, 1990.
- J. B. Posner, Neurologic Complications of Cancer, F. A. Davis, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1995.
- S. Kesari and T. T. Batchelor, “Leptomeningeal metastases,” Neurologic Clinics, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 25–66, 2003.
- M. C. Chamberlain, “Carcinomatous meningitis,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 16–17, 1997.
- J. P. Glass, M. Melamed, N. L. Chernik, and J. B. Posner, “Malignant cells in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF): the meaning of a positive CSF cytology,” Neurology, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 1369–1375, 1979.
- W. R. Shapiro, J. B. Posner, and Y. Ushio, “Treatment of meningeal neoplasms,” Cancer Treatment Reports, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 733–743, 1977.
- J. B. Posner and N. L. Chernik, “Intracranial metastases from systemic cancer,” Advances in Neurology, vol. 19, pp. 579–592, 1978.
- J. R. Little, A. J. D. Dale, and H. Okazaki, “Meningeal carcinomatosis: clinical manifestations,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 138–143, 1974.
- R. A. Price and W. W. Johnson, “The central nervous system in childhood leukemia. I. The arachnoid,” Cancer, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 520–533, 1973.
- B. Azzarelli, L. D. Mirkin, and M. Goheen, “The leptomeningeal vein. A site of re-entry of leukemic cells into the systemic circulation,” Cancer, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 1333–1343, 1984.
- G. O. Grain and J. P. Karr, “Diffuse leptomeningeal carcinomatosis; clinical and pathologic characteristics,” Neurology, vol. 5, no. 10, pp. 706–722, 1955.
- B. G. Redman, E. Tapazoglou, and M. Al-Sarraf, “Meningeal carcinomatosis in head and neck cancer. Report of six cases and review of the literature,” Cancer, vol. 58, no. 12, pp. 2656–2661, 1986.
- J. L. Nugent, P. A. Bunn Jr., and M. J. Matthews, “CNS metastases in small cell bronchogenic carcinoma. Increasing frequency and changing pattern with lengthening survival,” Cancer, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 1885–1893, 1979.
- R. S. Aroney, D. N. Dalley, and W. K. Chan, “Meningeal carcinomatosis in small cell carcinoma of the lung,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 26–32, 1981.
- R. Boyle, M. Thomas, and J. H. Adams, “Diffuse involvement of the leptomeninges by tumour - a clinical and pathological study of 63 cases,” Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 56, no. 653, pp. 149–158, 1980.
- M. Fisher, “An unusual variant of acute idiopathic polyneuritis (syndrome of ophthalmoplegia, ataxia and areflexia),” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 255, no. 2, pp. 57–65, 1956.
- B. C. Jacobs, H. P. Endtz, F. G. A. Van der Meche, M. P. Hazenberg, H. A. M. Achtereekte, and P. A. Van Doorn, “Serum anti-GQ(1b) IgG antibodies recognize surface epitopes on Campylobacter jejuni from patients with Miller Fisher syndrome,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 260–264, 1995.
- A. Chiba, S. Kusunoki, T. Shimizu, and I. Kanazawa, “Serum IgG antibody to ganglioside GQ1b is a possible marker of Miller Fisher syndrome,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 677–679, 1992.
- M. Ito, S. Kuwabara, M. Odaka et al., “Bickerstaff's brainstem encephalitis and Fisher syndrome form a continuous spectrum: Clinical analysis of 581 cases,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 255, no. 5, pp. 674–682, 2008.
- H. J. Willison and J. Veitch, “Immunoglobulin subclass distribution and binding characteristics of anti-GQ1b antibodies in Miller Fisher syndrome,” Journal of Neuroimmunology, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 159–165, 1994.
- K. Mizoguchi, A. Hase, T. Obi et al., “Two species of antiganglioside antibodies in a patient with a pharyngeal-cervical-brachial variant of Guillain-Barre syndrome,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 57, no. 9, pp. 1121–1123, 1994.
- C. P. O'Leary, J. Veitch, W. F. Durward, A. M. Thomas, J. H. Rees, and H. J. Willison, “Acute oropharyngeal palsy is associated with antibodies to GQ1b and GT1a gangliosides,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 649–651, 1996.
- K. Kashihara, Y. Shiro, M. Koga, and N. Yuki, “IgG anti-GT1a antibodies which do not cross react with GQ1b ganglioside in a pharyngeal-cervical-brachial variant of Guillain-Barre syndrome,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 65, no. 5, p. 799, 1998.
- Y. L. Lo, “Clinical and immunological spectrum of the Miller Fisher syndrome,” Muscle and Nerve, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 615–627, 2007.
- M. Mori, T. Takeshima, N. Yuki, and K. Nakashima, “A case of anti-GQ1b-positive atypical Fisher syndrome with internal ophthalmoplegia but without external ophthalmoplegia,” Clinical Neurology, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 887–890, 2000.
- H. Goldberg-Stern, E. Melamed, and N. Gadoth, “Abnormal evoked potentials in Miller-Fisher syndrome: further evidence of combined peripheral and central demyelination,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 57, no. 4, p. 506, 1994.
- V. Wong, “A neurophysiological study in children with Miller Fisher Syndrome and Guillain-Barre syndrome,” Brain and Development, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 197–204, 1997.
- N. Yuki, K. Wakabayashi, M. Yamada, and K. Seki, “Overlap of Guillain-Barre syndrome and Bickerstaff's brainstem encephalitis,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 145, no. 1, pp. 119–121, 1997.
- M. Kikuchi, Y. Tagawa, H. Iwamoto, H. Hoshino, and N. Yuki, “Bickerstaff's brainstem encephalitis associated with IgG anti-GQ1b antibody subsequent to Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection: favorable response to immunoadsorption therapy,” Journal of Child Neurology, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 403–405, 1997.
- J. H. Yeh, W. H. Chen, J. R. Chen, and H. C. Chiu, “Miller fisher syndrome with central involvement: successful treatment with plasmapheresis,” Therapeutic Apheresis, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 69–71, 1999.
- A. Chiba, S. Kusunoki, H. Obata, R. Machinami, and I. Kanazawa, “Serum anti-GQ(1b) IgG antibody is associated with ophthalmoplegia in Miller Fisher syndrome and Guillain-Barre syndrome: clinical and immunohistochemical studies,” Neurology, vol. 43, no. 10, pp. 1911–1917, 1993.
- A. Chiba, S. Kusunoki, S. Kuwata, T. Juji, Y. Shibata, and I. Kanazawa, “HLA and anti-GQ1b IgG antibody in Miller Fisher syndrome and Guillain- Barre syndrome,” Journal of Neuroimmunology, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 85–88, 1995.
- A. Chiba, S. Kusunoki, H. Obata, R. Machinami, and I. Kanazawa, “Ganglioside composition of the human cranial nerves, with special reference to pathophysiology of Miller Fisher syndrome,” Brain Research, vol. 745, no. 1-2, pp. 32–36, 1997.
- K. Paparounas, G. M. O'Hanlon, C. P. O'Leary, E. G. Rowan, and H. J. Willison, “Anti-ganglioside antibodies can bind peripheral nerve nodes of Ranvier and activate the complement cascade without inducing acute conduction block in vitro,” Brain, vol. 122, no. 5, pp. 807–816, 1999.
- M. Roberts, H. Willison, A. Vincent, and J. Newsom-Davis, “Serum factor in Miller-Fisher variant of Guillain-Barre syndrome and neurotransmitter release,” Lancet, vol. 343, no. 8895, pp. 454–455, 1994.
- H. J. Willison and J. J. Plomp, “Anti-ganglioside antibodies and the presynaptic motor nerve terminal,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1132, pp. 114–123, 2008.
- D. J. Lange, T. DeAngelis, and M. A. Sivak, “Single-fiber electromyography shows terminal axon dysfunction in Miller Fisher syndrome: a case report,” Muscle and Nerve, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 232–234, 2006.
- S. Kuwabara, M. Asahina, M. Nakajima et al., “Special sensory ataxia in Miller Fisher syndrome detected by postural body sway analysis,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 533–536, 1999.
- H. J. Willison, G. M. O'Hanlon, G. Paterson et al., “A somatically mutated human antiganglioside IgM antibody that induces experimental neuropathy in mice is encoded by the variable region heavy chain gene, V1-18,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 97, no. 5, pp. 1155–1164, 1996.
- S. Kusunoki, A. Chiba, and I. Kanazawa, “Anti-GQ1b IgG antibody is associated with ataxia as well as ophthalmoplegia,” Muscle & Nerve, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 1071–1074, 1999.
- A. J. Kornberg, A. Pestronk, G. M. Blume, G. Lopate, J. Yue, and A. Hahn, “Selective staining of the cerebellar molecular layer by serum IgG in Miller-Fisher and related syndromes,” Neurology, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 1317–1320, 1996.
- A. Inoue, C. S. Koh, and T. Iwahashi, “Detection of serum anticerebellar antibodies in patients with Miller Fisher syndrome,” European Neurology, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 230–234, 1999.
- R. Bingisser, R. Speich, A. Fontana, J. Gmur, B. Vogel, and T. Landis, “Lupus erythematosus and Miller-Fisher syndrome,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 51, no. 8, pp. 828–830, 1994.
- D. C. Hess, E. Awad, H. Posas, K. D. Sethi, and R. J. Adams, “Miller Fisher syndrome in systemic lupus erythematosus,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 1520–1522, 1990.
- A. Polizzi, M. Ruggieri, I. Vecchio, S. Genovese, L. Rampello, and R. Raffaele, “Autoimmune thyroiditis and acquired demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy,” Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 151–154, 2001.
- S. S. Desai, E. Allen, and A. Deodhar, “Miller Fisher syndrome in adult onset Still's disease: case report and review of the literature of other neurological manifestations,” Rheumatology, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 216–222, 2002.
- M. Guarino, A. Stracciari, F. Cirignotta, R. D'Alessandro, and P. Pazzaglia, “Neoplastic meningitis presenting with ophthalmoplegia, ataxia, and areflexia (Miller-Fisher syndrome),” Archives of Neurology, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 443–444, 1995.
- Y. Nakatsuji, S. Sadahiro, S. Watanabe et al., “Leptomeningeal signet-ring cell carcinomatosis presenting with ophthalmoplegia, areflexia and ataxia,” Clinical Neuropathology, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 272–275, 2001.
- T. Csépány, J. Boczán, M. T. Magyar et al., “Miller Fisher syndrome: a presenting clinical manifestation of lung cancer in a previously apparently healthy individual,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 251, no. 7, pp. 898–900, 2004.
- E. Rubio-Nazabal, J. Marey-Lopez, J. P. Torres-Carrete, P. Alvarez-Perez, and P. R. Del Corral, “Miller-Fisher syndrome and Hodgkin's disease,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 73, no. 3, p. 344, 2002.
- L. De Toni, S. Marconi, E. Nardelli et al., “Gangliosides act as onconeural antigens in paraneoplastic neuropathies,” Journal of Neuroimmunology, vol. 156, no. 1-2, pp. 178–187, 2004.
- S. Gentile, M. Messina, I. Rainero, R. Lo Giudice, P. De Martino, and L. Pinessi, “Miller Fisher syndrome associated with Burkitt's lymphoma,” European Journal of Neurology, vol. 13, no. 4, p. 430, 2006.
- Z. Aki, O. Aksoy, G. Sucak, R. Kuruoğlu, and M. Yağci, “Miller-Fisher syndrome associated with chronic lymphocytic leukemia,” Neurology India, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 198–200, 2008.
- A. A. Tahrani, S. Sharma, S. Rangan, and A. F. Macleod, “A patient with worsening mobility: a diagnostic challenge,” European Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 292–294, 2008.