- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Neurological Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 581920, 4 pages
An Unusual Case of Bilateral Agenesis of the Cochlear Nerves
1Department of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, University of Brasilia, DF, Brazil
2Department of Radiology, University of Brasilia, DF, Brazil
Received 16 April 2012; Accepted 26 June 2012
Academic Editors: J. E. Cohen, R. Hashimoto, and J. Lazareff
Copyright © 2012 Vítor Yamashiro Rocha Soares et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. R. White, “Screening all newborns for hearing loss using transient evoked otoacoustic emissions,” International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 203–217, 1994.
- M. Carner, L. Colletti, R. Shannon et al., “Imaging in 28 children with cochlear nerve aplasia,” Acta Oto-Laryngologica, vol. 129, no. 4, pp. 458–461, 2009.
- J. P. Westerhof, J. Rademaker, B. P. Weber, and H. Becker, “Congenital malformations of the inner ear and the vestibulocochlear nerve in children with sensorineural hearing loss: evaluation with CT and MRI,” Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 719–726, 2001.
- S. Sheth, B. F. Branstetter, and E. J. Escott, “Appearance of normal cranial nerves on steady-state free precession MR images,” Radiographics, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 1045–1055, 2009.
- O. F. Adunka, P. A. Roush, H. F. B. Teagle et al., “Internal auditory canal morphology in children with cochlear nerve deficiency,” Otology and Neurotology, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 793–801, 2006.
- J. W. Casselman, F. E. Offeciers, P. J. Govaerts et al., “Aplasia and hypoplasia of the vestibulocochlear nerve: diagnosis with MR imaging,” Radiology, vol. 202, no. 3, pp. 773–781, 1997.
- A. Borges and J. Casselman, “Imaging the cranial nerves: part I: methodology, infectious and inflammatory, traumatic and congenital lesions,” European Radiology, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 2112–2125, 2007.
- C. Shelton, W. M. Luxford, L. L. Tonokawa, W. W. M. Lo, and W. F. House, “The narrow internal auditory canal in children: a contraindication to cochlear implants,” Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 227–231, 1989.
- P. J. Govaerts, J. Casselman, K. Daemers, C. De Beukelaer, M. Yperman, and G. De Ceulaer, “Cochlear implants in aplasia and hipoplasia of the cochleovestibular nerve,” Otology and Neurotology, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 887–891, 2003.
- V. Colletti, M. Carner, F. Fiorino et al., “Hearing restoration with auditory brainstem implant in three children with cochlear nerve aplasia,” Otology and Neurotology, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 682–693, 2002.