- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 687510, 5 pages
A Case of Endometrial Stromal Sarcoma with Synchronous Bilateral Adenocarcinoma of Ovary
1Gynecology and Obstetrics Department, Coimbra Hospital and University Center, Praceta Professor Mota Pinto, 3000-075 Coimbra, Portugal
2Anatomical Pathology Department, Coimbra Hospital and University Center, Coimbra, Portugal
Received 20 June 2012; Accepted 14 October 2012
Academic Editors: S.-Y. Ku, E. F. C. Murta, and S. Rasmussen
Copyright © 2012 Olga Caramelo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. A. De Fusco, T. A. Gaffey, G. D. Malkasian Jr, H. J. Long, and S. S. Cha, “Endometrial stromal sarcoma: review of Mayo Clinic experience, 1945–1980,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 8–14, 1989.
- K. L. Chang, G. S. Crabtree, S. K. Lim-Tan, R. L. Kempson, and M. R. Hendrickson, “Primary uterine endometrial stromal neoplasms. A clinicopathologic study of 117 cases,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 415–438, 1990.
- A. Gadducci, E. Sartori, F. Landoni et al., “Endometrial stromal sarcoma: analysis of treatment failures and survival,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 247–253, 1996.
- F. Amant, I. Vergote, P. Moerman et al., “Response: the classification of a uterine sarcoma as 'High-grade endometrial stromal sarcoma' should be abandoned,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 412–413, 2004.
- F. Moinfar, M. Azodi, and F. A. Tavassoli, “Uterine sarcomas,” Pathology, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 55–71, 2007.
- Y. Yildirim, M. M. Inal, M. Sanci et al., “Development of uterine sarcoma after tamoxifen treatment for breast cancer: report of four cases,” International Journal of Gynecological Cancer, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 1239–1242, 2005.
- L. Benoit, L. Arnould, N. Cheynel et al., “Malignant extraovarian endometriosis: a review,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 6–11, 2006.
- C. M. Farquhar, “Extracts from “Clinical Evidence”: endometriosis,” British Medical Journal, vol. 320, no. 7247, pp. 1449–1452, 2000.
- S. E. Bulun, “Endometriosis,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 360, no. 3, pp. 268–279, 2009.
- L. C. Giudice and L. C. Kao, “Endometriosis,” The Lancet, vol. 364, no. 9447, pp. 1789–1799, 2004.
- L. A. Brinton, E. J. Lamb, K. S. Moghissi et al., “Ovarian cancer risk associated with varying causes of infertility,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 405–414, 2004.
- C. Borgfeldt and E. Andolf, “Cancer risk after hospital discharge diagnosis of benign ovarian cysts and endometriosis,” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 395–400, 2004.
- H. Kobayashi, “Ovarian cancer in endometriosis: epidemiology, natural history, and clinical diagnosis,” International Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 378–382, 2009.
- F. Nezhat, M. S. Datta, V. Hanson, T. Pejovic, C. Nezhat, and C. Nezhat, “The relationship of endometriosis and ovarian malignancy: a review,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 90, no. 5, pp. 1559–1570, 2008.
- X. Fritel, “Endometriosis anatomoclinical entities,” Journal de Gynecologie Obstetrique et Biologie de la Reproduction, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 113–118, 2007.
- M. Eržen, S. Rakar, B. Klančar, and K. Syrjänen, “Endometriosis-associated ovarian carcinoma (EAOC): an entity distinct from other ovarian carcinomas as suggested by a nested case-control study,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 100–108, 2001.
- T. Van Gorp, F. Amant, P. Neven, I. Vergote, and P. Moerman, “Endometriosis and the development of malignant tumours of the pelvis. A review of literature,” Best Practice and Research, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 349–371, 2004.
- M. Mandai, K. Yamaguchi, N. Matsumura, T. Baba, and I. Konishi, “Ovarian cancer in endometriosis: molecular biology, pathology, and clinical management,” International Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 383–391, 2009.
- D. Pink, T. Lindner, A. Mrozek et al., “Harm or benefit of hormonal treatment in metastatic low-grade endometrial stromal sarcoma: single center experience with 10 cases and review of the literature,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 464–469, 2006.
- C. Burke and K. Hickey, “Treatment of endometrial stromal sarcoma with a gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogue.,” Obstetrics and gynecology, vol. 104, no. 5, pp. 1182–1184, 2004.
- M. C. Chu, G. Mor, C. Lim, W. Zheng, V. Parkash, and P. E. Schwartz, “Low-grade endometrial stromal sarcoma: hormonal aspects,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 170–176, 2003.
- O. Reich, S. Regauer, W. Urdl, M. Lahousen, and R. Winter, “Expression of oestrogen and progesterone receptors in low-grade endometrial stromal sarcomas,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 82, no. 5, pp. 1030–1034, 2000.
- A. Garrett and M. A. Quinn, “Hormonal therapies and gynaecological cancers,” Best Practice and Research in Clinical Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 407–421, 2008.
- W. G. McCluggage, “Immunohistochemistry as a diagnostic aid in cervical pathology,” Pathology, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 97–111, 2007.
- A. J. Li, R. L. Giuntoli, R. Drake et al., “Ovarian preservation in stage I low-grade endometrial stromal sarcomas,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 106, no. 6, pp. 1304–1308, 2005.
- A. Berchuck, S. C. Rubin, W. J. Hoskins, P. E. Saigo, V. K. Pierce, and J. L. Lewis Jr, “Treatment of endometrial stromal tumors,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 60–65, 1990.
- J. Riopel, M. Plante, M. C. Renaud, M. Roy, and B. Têtu, “Lymph node metastases in low-grade endometrial stromal sarcoma,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 402–406, 2005.
- O. Reich, R. Winter, S. Regauer et al., “Should lymphadenectomy be performed in patients with endometrial stromal sarcoma?  (multiple letters),” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 982–983, 2005.
- A. Gadducci, S. Cosio, A. Romanini, and A. R. Genazzani, “The management of patients with uterine sarcoma: a debated clinical challenge,” Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 129–142, 2008.
- M. Leunen, M. Breugelmans, P. De Sutter, C. Bourgain, and J. J. Amy, “Low-grade endometrial stromal sarcoma treated with the aromatase inhibitor letrozole,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 769–771, 2004.
- K. E. Dusenbery, R. A. Potish, and P. Judson, “Limitations of adjuvant radiotherapy for uterine sarcomas spread beyond the uterus,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 191–196, 2004.
- J. M. Schilder, W. W. Hurd, L. M. Roth, and G. P. Sutton, “Hormonal treatment of an endometrial stromal nodule followed by local excision,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 805–807, 1999.
- P. S. Fekete and F. Vellios, “The clinical and histologic spectrum of endometrial stromal neoplasms: a report of 41 cases,” International Journal of Gynecological Pathology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 198–212, 1984.
- L. Livi, F. Paiar, N. Shah et al., “Uterine sarcoma: twenty-seven years of experience,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 1366–1373, 2003.
- Y. Inayama, A. Shoji, S. Odagiri et al., “Detection of pulmonary metastasis of low-grade endometrial stromal sarcoma 25 years after hysterectomy,” Pathology Research and Practice, vol. 196, no. 2, pp. 129–134, 2000.
- K. Bodner, B. Bodner-Adler, A. Obermair et al., “Prognostic parameters in endometrial stromal sarcoma: a clinicopathologic study in 31 patients,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 160–165, 2001.