- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 639698, 4 pages
Esophageal Achalasia: An Uncommon Complication during Pregnancy Treated Conservatively
1Obstetrics and Gynaecology Department, Watford General Hospital, 35 The Spinney, Watford, Hertfordshire WD17 4QF, UK
2Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, Temple University Hospital, 3401 N. Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Received 15 November 2012; Accepted 6 December 2012
Academic Editors: T. Guvenal, T. Levy, and S. Rasmussen
Copyright © 2013 Dimitrios Spiliopoulos et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. S. McCord, A. Staiano, and R. E. Clouse, “Achalasia, diffuse spasm and non-specific motor disorders,” Bailliere's Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 307–335, 1991.
- J. F. Mayberry and J. Rhodes, “Achalasia in the city of Cardiff from 1926 to 1977,” Digestion, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 248–252, 1980.
- Y. Ohno, M. Kawai, Y. Shibata, and Y. Arii, “Esophageal achalasia in pregnancy,” American Journal of Perinatology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 53–55, 2000.
- G. Fassina and A. Osculati, “Achalasia and sudden death: a case report,” Forensic Science International, vol. 75, no. 2-3, pp. 133–137, 1995.
- N. I. H. Sleisenger and J. S. Fordtrain, Gastrointestinal Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis & Management, W.B.Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 4th edition, 1989.
- R. Pulanic, M. Kalauz, M. Opacic, N. Rustemovic, and T. Brkic, “Successful pneumatic dilation of achalasia in pregnancy,” Digestive and Liver Disease, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 600–601, 2008.
- J. F. Mayberry and M. Atkinson, “Achalasia and pregnancy,” British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 94, no. 9, pp. 855–859, 1987.
- J. M. Lake and R. K. Wong, “Review article: the management of achalasia—a comparison of different treatment modalities,” Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 909–918, 2006.
- J. C. Morgan, S. S. Iyer, E. T. Moser, C. Singer, and K. D. Sethi, “Botulinum toxin A during pregnancy: a survey of treating physicians,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 117–119, 2006.
- T. Wataganara, S. Leelakusolvong, P. Sunsaneevithayakul, and C. Vantanasiri, “Treatment of severe achalasia during pregnancy with esophagoscopic injection of botulinum toxin A: a case report,” Journal of Perinatology, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 637–639, 2009.
- V. Khudyak, J. Lysy, and D. Mankuta, “Achalasia in pregnancy,” Obstetrical and Gynecological Survey, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 207–211, 2006.
- A. Clemendor, S. Sall, and E. Harbilas, “Achalasia and nutritional deficiency during pregnancy,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 106–113, 1969.
- A. J. Satin, D. Twickler, and L. C. Gilstrap III, “Esophageal achalasia in late pregnancy,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 812–814, 1992.
- C. Palanivelu, M. Rangarajan, G. S. Maheshkumaar, and R. Parthasarathi, “Laparoscopic Heller's cardiomyotomy for achalasia of the cardia in a pregnant patient,” Annals of the Academy of Medicine Singapore, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 442–443, 2008.
- A. B. Roca, S. B. Sampascual, A. J. Calderón et al., “Self-expanding esophageal prostheses as an alternative temporary treatment for achalasia,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 69, no. 4, p. 980, 2009.
- M. G. Levine and D. Esser, “Total parenteral nutrition for the treatment of severe hyperemesis gravidarum: maternal nutritional effects and fetal outcome,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 102–107, 1988.
- M. Hod, R. Orvieto, B. Kaplan, S. Friedman, and J. Ovadia, “Hyperemesis gravidarum: a review,” Journal of Reproductive Medicine for the Obstetrician and Gynecologist, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 605–612, 1994.
- K. E. Russo-Steiglitz, A. B. Levine, B. A. Wagner, et al., “Pregnancy outcome in patients requiring parenteral nutrition,” The Journal of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 164–167, 1999.
- T. Luukainen, P. Jarvinen, and T. Pyrola, “Induction of labor with intravenous fat emulsion at term,” Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology of the British Commonwealth, vol. 71, pp. 45–47, 1964.
- L. Heller, “Parenteral nutrition in obstetrics and gynecology,” in Current Concepts in Parenteral Nutrition, J. M. Greep, P. B. Soctors, and R. I. C. Wesdorp, Eds., pp. 179–186, Nijhoff Medical Division, The Hague, The Netherlands, 1977.
- T. C. Fiest, A. Foong, and S. Chokhavatia, “Successful balloon dilation of achalasia during pregnancy,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 810–812, 1993.