- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Oncological Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 290905, 4 pages
Secondary Glioblastoma Multiforme in a Child with Disseminated Juvenile Pilocytic Astrocytoma
1The Departments of Neurosurgery, San Diego and Rady Children’s Hospital, University of California, 3020 Children's Way San Diego, San Diego, CA 92123, USA
2The Departments of Pediatrics, San Diego and Rady Children’s Hospital, University of California, 3020 Children's Way San Diego, San Diego, CA 92123, USA
3The Departments of Neurosciences, San Diego and Rady Children’s Hospital, University of California, 3020 Children's Way San Diego, San Diego, CA 92123, USA
4Division of Child Neurology, Rady Children’s Hospital San Diego, University of California San Diego, 8010 Frost Street Suite 400, 3020 Children's Way San Diego, San Diego, CA 92123, USA
Received 17 September 2012; Accepted 24 October 2012
Academic Editors: D. Chua, J. Itami, J. M. Ribera, and D. Yin
Copyright © 2012 C. S. Amene et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. A. Shih, J. S. Loeffler, and N. J. Tarbell, “Late effects of CNS radiation therapy,” Cancer Treatment and Research, vol. 150, pp. 23–41, 2009.
- J. S. Loeffler, A. Niemierko, P. H. Chapman et al., “Second tumors after radiosurgery: tip of the iceberg or a bump in the road?” Neurosurgery, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 1436–1442, 2003.
- W. G. Cahan, H. Q. Woodard, N. L. Higinbotham, F. W. Stewart, and B. J. Coley, “Sarcoma arising in irradiated bone; report of 11 cases,” Cancer, vol. 1, pp. 3–29, 1948.
- E. Ron, B. Modan, J. D. Boice et al., “Tumors of the brain and nervous system after radiotherapy in childhood,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 319, no. 16, pp. 1033–1039, 1988.
- A. C. Paulino, W. Y. Mai, M. Chintagumpala, A. Taher, and B. S. Teh, “Radiation-induced malignant gliomas: is there a role for reirradiation?” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 71, no. 5, pp. 1381–1387, 2008.
- D. Joh, B. J. Park, and Y. J. Lim, “Radiation-induced glioblastoma multiforme in a remitted acute lymphocytic leukemia patient,” Journal of Korean Neurosurgical Society, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 235–239, 2011.
- M. Salvati, A. Frati, N. Russo et al., “Radiation-induced gliomas: report of 10 cases and review of the literature,” Surgical Neurology, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 60–67, 2003.
- Z. H. Rappaport, D. Loven, and U. Ben-Aharon, “Radiation-induced cerebellar glioblastoma multiforme subsequent to treatment of an astrocytoma of the cervical spinal cord,” Neurosurgery, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 606–608, 1991.
- H. E. Aryan, H. S. Meltzer, D. C. Lu, B. M. Ozgur, M. L. Levy, and D. A. Bruce, “Management of pilocytic astrocytoma with diffuse leptomeningeal spread: two cases and review of the literature,” Child's Nervous System, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 477–481, 2005.
- J. P. Neglia, A. T. Meadows, L. L. Robison et al., “Second neoplasms after acute lymphoblastic leukemia in childhood,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 325, no. 19, pp. 1330–1336, 1991.
- M. Tamura, A. Zama, H. Kurihara et al., “Management of recurrent pilocytic astrocytoma with leptomeningeal dissemination in childhood,” Child's Nervous System, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 617–622, 1998.
- I. F. Pollack, M. Hurtt, D. Pang, and A. L. Albright, “Dissemination of low grade intracranial astrocytomas in children,” Cancer, vol. 73, no. 11, pp. 2869–2878, 1994.
- A. Gajjar, R. Bhargava, J. J. Jenkins et al., “Low-grade astrocytoma with neuraxis dissemination at diagnosis,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 67–71, 1995.
- D. J. Brat, C. D. James, A. E. Jedlicka et al., “Molecular genetic alterations in radiation-induced astrocytomas,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 154, no. 5, pp. 1431–1438, 1999.
- A. M. Donson, N. S. Erwin, B. K. Kleinschmidt-DeMasters, J. R. Madden, S. O. Addo-Yobo, and N. K. Foreman, “Unique molecular characteristics of radiation-induced glioblastoma,” Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology, vol. 66, no. 8, pp. 740–749, 2007.