- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Oncological Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 570487, 4 pages
Malignant Mesothelioma after Household Exposure to Asbestos
1Saint Joseph Hospital, Department of Internal Medicine, 2900 North Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL 60657, USA
2Department of Dermatology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Received 16 August 2013; Accepted 10 September 2013
Academic Editors: G. P. Vandoros and N. Yoshimura
Copyright © 2013 Raya Saba et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. W. S. Robinson and R. A. Lake, “Advances in malignant mesothelioma,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 353, no. 15, pp. 1591–1603, 2005.
- J. C. Wagner, C. A. Sleggs, and P. Marchand, “Diffuse pleural mesothelioma and asbestos exposure in the North Western Cape Province,” British Journal of Industrial Medicine, vol. 17, pp. 260–271, 1960.
- I. J. Selikoff, J. Churg, and E. C. Hammond, “Relation between exposure to asbestos and mesothelioma,” The New England journal of medicine, vol. 272, pp. 560–565, 1965.
- H. Anderson, “Family contact exposure,” in Proceedings of the World Symposium on Asbestos, pp. 349–362, Canadian Asbestos Information Centre, Montreal, Canada, May 1982.
- J. Schneider and H. J. Woitowitz, “Asbestos-related mesotheliomas in housewives from indoor air pollution,” Zentralblatt fur Hygiene und Umweltmedizin, vol. 196, no. 6, pp. 495–503, 1995 (German).
- C. Magnani, A. Agudo, C. A. González et al., “Multicentric study on malignant pleural mesothelioma and non-occupational exposure to asbestos,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 104–111, 2000.
- D. Ferrante, M. Bertolotti, A. Todesco, D. Mirabelli, B. Terracini, and C. Magnani, “Cancer mortality and incidence of mesothelioma in a cohort of wives of asbestos workers in Casale Monferrato, Italy,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 115, no. 10, pp. 1401–1405, 2007.
- J. E. Craighead, “Epidemiology of mesothelioma and historical background,” Recent Results in Cancer Research, vol. 189, pp. 13–25, 2011.
- National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, “Work-Related Lung Disease (eWoRLD) Surveillance System: Malignant Mesothelioma,” 2003, http://www2a.cdc.gov/drds/worldreportdata/.
- V. Delgermaa, K. Takahashi, E.-K. Park, G. V. Le, T. Hara, and T. Sorahan, “Global mesothelioma deaths reported to the World Health Organization between 1994 and 2008,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 89, no. 10, pp. 716–724, 2011.
- V. L. Roggli, A. Sharma, K. J. Butnor, T. Sporn, and R. T. Vollmer, “Malignant mesothelioma and occupational exposure to asbestos: a clinicopathological correlation of 1445 cases,” Ultrastructural Pathology, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 55–65, 2002.
- N. P. Campell and H. L. Kindler, “Update on malignant pleural mesothelioma,” Seminars in Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 102–110, 2011.
- D. Whitaker, “The cytology of malignant mesothelioma,” Cytopathology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 139–151, 2000.
- B. Davidson, L. Vintman, S. Nielsen, R. Reich, and A. Berner, “Site-related expression of metastasis-associated and signaling molecules in malignant mesothelioma: a new model for the study of tumor biology and disease progression,” Lung Cancer, vol. 49, supplement 1, pp. S89–S93, 2005.
- A. Scherpereel, P. Astoul, P. Baas et al., “Guidelines of the European Respiratory Society and the European Society of Thoracic Surgeons for the management of malignant pleural mesothelioma,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 479–495, 2010.
- J. E. Herndon II, M. R. Green, A. P. Chahinian, J. M. Corson, Y. Suzuki, and N. J. Vogelzang, “Factors predictive of survival among 337 patients with mesothelioma treated between 1984 and 1994 by the Cancer and Leukemia Group B,” Chest, vol. 113, no. 3, pp. 723–731, 1998.
- D. Rice, “Surgical therapy of mesothelioma,” Recent Results in Cancer Research, vol. 189, pp. 97–125, 2011.
- N. J. Vogelzang, J. J. Rusthoven, J. Symanowski et al., “Phase III study of pemetrexed in combination with cisplatin versus cisplatin alone in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 14, pp. 2636–2644, 2003.
- A. K. Nowak, M. J. Byrne, R. Williamson et al., “A multicentre phase II study of cisplatin and gemcitabine for malignant mesothelioma,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 87, no. 5, pp. 491–496, 2002.