- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Orthopedics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 147042, 3 pages
The Need for Guidelines in Asplenic Patients Undergoing Total Joint Arthroplasty: A Case Report
1Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Sports Surgery Clinic, Santry Demesne, Dublin 9, Ireland
2Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Cappagh National Orthopaedic Hospital, Finglas, Dublin 11, Ireland
Received 1 December 2011; Accepted 29 January 2012
Academic Editor: T. Tsurumoto
Copyright © 2012 S. R. Shaarani et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Health at a Glance: Europe, by OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, pg 97, 2010, http://www.dx.doi.org/10.1787/888932337167 and http://www.dx.doi.org/10.1787/888932337186.
- S. G. Memtsoudis, A. González Della Valle, M. C. Besculides, L. Gaber, and T. P. Sculco, “In-hospital complications and mortality of unilateral, bilateral, and revision TKA: based on an estimate of 4,159,661 discharges,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 466, no. 11, pp. 2617–2627, 2008.
- D. L. Powell, C. J. Whitener, C. E. Dye, J. O. Ballard, M. L. Shaffer, and M. E. Eyster, “Knee and hip arthroplasty infection rates in persons with haemophilia: a 27 year single center experience during the HIV epidemic,” Haemophilia, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 233–239, 2005.
- J. M. Davies, M. P. Lewis, J. Wimperis, I. Rafi, S. Ladhani, and P. H. Bolton-Maggs, “Review of guidelines for the prevention and treatment of infection in patients with an absent or dysfunctional spleen: prepared on behalf of the British committee for standards in haematology by a working party of the haemato-oncology task force,” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 155, no. 3, pp. 308–317, 2011.
- D. C. Melles and S. de Marie, “Prevention of infections in hyposplenic and asplenic patients: an update,” Netherlands Journal of Medicine, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 45–52, 2004.
- P. A. Pizzo, “Fever in immunocompromised patients,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 341, no. 12, pp. 893–900, 1999.
- M. Löbermann, D. Boršo, I. Hilgendorf, C. Fritzsche, U. K. Zettl, and E. C. Reisinger, “Immunization in the adult immunocompromised host,” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 212–218, 2012.
- A. B. Pedersen, F. Mehnert, S. P. Johnsen, and H. T. Sørensen, “Risk of revision of a total hip replacement in patients with diabetes mellitus: a population-based follow up study,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 92, no. 7, pp. 929–934, 2010.
- R. A. Malinzak, M. A. Ritter, M. E. Berend, J. B. Meding, E. M. Olberding, and K. E. Davis, “Morbidly obese, diabetic, younger, and unilateral joint arthroplasty patients have elevated total joint arthroplasty infection rates,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 24, no. 6, supplement, pp. 84–88, 2009.
- E. Jämsen, P. Nevalainen, J. Kalliovalkama, and T. Moilanen, “Preoperative hyperglycemia predicts infected total knee replacement,” European Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 196–201, 2010.
- B. Mraovic, D. Suh, C. Jacovides, and J. Parvizi, “Perioperative hyperglycemia and postoperative infection after lower limb arthroplasty,” Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 412–418, 2011.
- A. Roth, R. Fuhrmann, M. Lange, J. Mollenhauer, E. Straube, and R. Venbrocks, “Overwhelming septic infection with a multi-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) after total knee replacement,” Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, vol. 123, no. 8, pp. 429–432, 2003.
- T. Bradbury, T. K. Fehring, M. Taunton et al., “The fate of acute methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus periprosthetic knee infections treated by open debridement and retention of components,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 101–104, 2009.
- R. S. Nickinson, T. N. Board, A. K. Gambhir, M. L. Porter, and P. R. Kay, “The microbiology of the infected knee arthroplasty,” International Orthopaedics, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 505–510, 2010.
- L. A. Whiteside, M. Peppers, T. A. Nayfeh, and M. E. Roy, “Methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus in TKA treated with revision and direct intraarticular antibiotic infusion,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 469, no. 1, pp. 26–33, 2011.