- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Orthopedics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 158604, 4 pages
A Case of a C-Stem Fracture at the Head-Neck Junction and a Review of the Literature
City General Hospital, University Hospital of North Staffordshire, Newcastle Road, Stoke-on-Trent ST4 6QG, UK
Received 8 October 2012; Accepted 25 October 2012
Academic Editors: D. A. Fisher and M. Huber
Copyright © 2012 David Morley et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Charnley, “Fracture of femoral prostheses in total hip replacement: a clinical study,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 111, pp. 105–120, 1975.
- M. Martens, E. Aernoudt, P. de Meester, et al., “Factors in the mechanical failure of the femoral component in total hip prosthesis: report of six fatigue fractures of the femoral stem and results of experimental loading tests,” Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 693–710, 1974.
- A. S. Carlsson, C. F. Gentz, and J. Stenport, “Fracture of the femoral prosthesis in total hip replacement according to charnley,” Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 650–655, 1977.
- D. K. Collis, “Femoral stem failure in total hip replacement,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 59, no. 8, pp. 1033–1041, 1977.
- H. C. Kioschos and R. A. Brand, “Asymptomatic fracture of a femoral prosthesis after total hip replacement: six-year follow-up: a case report,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 437–440, 1994.
- L. F. Wilson, J. F. Nolan, and M. B. Heywood-Waddington, “Fracture of the femoral stem of the ring TCH hip prosthesis,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 74, no. 5, pp. 725–728, 1992.
- R. D. Crowninshield, R. A. Brand, R. C. Johnston, and J. C. Milroy, “An analysis of femoral component stem design in total hip arthroplasty,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 68–78, 1980.
- J. O. Galante, W. Rostoker, and J. M. Doyle, “Failed femoral stems in total hip prostheses: a report of six cases,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 230–236, 1975.
- J. O. Galante, “Causes of fractures of the femoral component in total hip replacement,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 670–673, 1980.
- E. W. Lee and H. T. Kim, “Early fatigue failures of cemented, forged, cobalt-chromium femoral stems at the neck-shoulder junction,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 236–238, 2001.
- J. P. Collier, V. A. Surprenant, R. E. Jensen, M. B. Mayor, and H. P. Surprenant, “Corrosion between the components of modular femoral hip prostheses,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 511–517, 1992.
- S. D. Cook, R. L. Barrack, and A. J. T. Clemow, “Corrosion and wear at the modular interface of uncemented femoral stems,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 68–72, 1994.
- I. P. S. Gill, J. Webb, K. Sloan, and R. J. Beaver, “Corrosion at the neck-stem junction as a cause of metal ion release and pseudotumour formation,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 94 B, no. 7, pp. 895–900, 2012.
- E. B. Mathiesen, J. U. Lindgren, G. G. A. Blomgren, and F. P. Reinholt, “Corrosion of modular hip prostheses,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 569–575, 1991.
- D. A. J. Wilson, M. J. Dunbar, J. D. Amirault, and Z. Farhat, “Early failure of a modular femoral neck total hip arthroplasty component: a case report,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 92, no. 6, pp. 1514–1517, 2010.
- G. Wright, S. Sporer, R. Urban, and J. Jacobs, “Fracture of a modular femoral neck after total hip arthroplasty: a case report,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 92, no. 6, pp. 1518–1521, 2010.
- J. L. Gilbert, C. A. Buckley, and J. J. Jacobs, “In vivo corrosion of modular hip prosthesis components in mixed and similar metal combinations: the effect of crevice, stress, motion, and alloy coupling,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 1533–1544, 1993.
- D. M. Wright, A. Alonso, E. Lekka, and D. H. Sochart, “Fracture of the CDH C-stem—a report of two cases,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, vol. 88, supplement 2, article 245, 2005.
- J. L. Gilbert, C. A. Buckley, J. J. Jacobs, K. C. Bertin, and M. R. Zernich, “Intergranular corrosion-fatigue failure of cobalt-alloy femoral stems: a failure analysis of two implants,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 110–115, 1994.
- S. A. Atwood, E. W. Patten, K. J. Bozic, L. A. Pruitt, and M. D. Ries, “Corrosion-induced fracture of a double-modular hip prosthesis: a case report,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 92, no. 6, pp. 1522–1525, 2010.
- B. R. Burroughs, O. K. Muratoglu, C. R. Bragdon et al., “In vitro comparison of frictional torque and torsional resistance of aged conventional gamma-in-nitrogen sterilized polyethylene versus aged highly crosslinked polyethylene articulating against head sizes larger than 32 mm,” Acta Orthopaedica, vol. 77, no. 5, pp. 710–718, 2006.
- C. Brockett, S. Williams, Z. Jin, G. Isaac, and J. Fisher, “Friction of total hip replacements with different bearings and loading conditions,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 508–515, 2007.
- S. T. Ball, M. J. Le Duff, and H. C. Amstutz, “Early results of conversion of a failed femoral component in hip resurfacing arthroplasty,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 89, no. 4, pp. 735–741, 2007.