- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Orthopedics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 691703, 4 pages
Gemella haemolysans Infection in Total Hip Arthroplasty
1Department of Orthopaedics, Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital, East Kent Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, St. Peters Road, Margate, Kent CT9 4AN, UK
2Orthopaedic Department, SPORTSMED. SA, 32 Payneham Road, Stepney, SA 5069, Australia
Received 29 December 2011; Accepted 15 March 2012
Academic Editors: K.-I. KIM, S. A. Papadakis, and S. N. Parikh
Copyright © 2012 Barry Rose et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. B. Wymenga, J. R. Van Horn, A. Theeuwes, H. L. Muytjens, and T. J. J. H. Slooff, “Perioperative factors associated with septic arthritis after arthroplasty. Prospective multicenter study of 362 knee and 2651 hip operations,” Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 665–671, 1992.
- J. Beytout, O. Tournilhac, and H. Laurichesse, “Asplenia and hyposplenism,” Presse Medicale, vol. 32, no. 28, pp. S5–S9, 2003.
- R. H. Fitzgerald, D. R. Nolan, and D. M. Ilstrup, “Deep wound sepsis following total hip arthroplasty,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 59, no. 7, pp. 847–855, 1977.
- A. W. Blom, A. H. Taylor, G. Pattison, S. Whitehouse, and G. C. Bannister, “Infection after total hip arthroplasty,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 85, no. 7, pp. 956–959, 2003.
- R. G. Mitchell and P. J. Teddy, “Meningitis due to Gemella haemolysans after radiofrequency trigeminal rhizotomy,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 558–560, 1985.
- S. V. Raman, N. Evans, T. J. Freegard, and R. Cunningham, “Gemella haemolysans acute postoperative endophthalmitis,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 87, no. 9, pp. 1192–1193, 2003.
- M. Eisenhut, C. Jones, D. Hughes, S. Herrington, and G. Kokai, “Acute renal failure associated with Gemella haemolysans pneumonia,” Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 448–450, 2004.
- L. Zingaro, E. Bartoli, and L. A. Sechi, “Post-infectious glomerulonephritis in a patient with Gemella haemolysans endocarditis,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 106, no. 1, pp. 125–126, 1999.
- M. Anil, N. Ozkalay, M. Helvaci et al., “Meningitis due to Gemella haemolysans in a pediatric case,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 45, no. 7, pp. 2337–2339, 2007.
- M. R. Lee, S. O. Lee, S. Y. Kim, S. M. Yang, Y. H. Seo, and Y. K. Cho, “Brain abscess due to Gemella haemolysans,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 2338–2340, 2004.
- C. Díaz-Pedroche, F. López-Medrano, I. Arrese, and J. García-Martínez, “Cerebral abscess due to Gemella haemolysans,” Enfermedades Infecciosas y Microbiología Clínica, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 385–386, 2005.
- D. Ritterband, M. Shah, M. Kresloff, M. Intal, U. Shabto, and J. Seedor, “Gemella haemolysans keratitis and consecutive endophthalmitis,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 268–269, 2002.
- A. Unal, M. H. Sipahioglu, F. Kavuncuoglu, B. Tokgoz, O. Oymak, and C. Utas, “Rare cause of peritoneal dialysis-related peritonitis: Gemella haemolysans,” Peritoneal Dialysis International, vol. 29, no. 4, p. 482, 2009.
- B. Martha, M. Duong, M. Buisson et al., “Acute Gemella haemolysans spondylodiscitis in an immunocompetent patient,” Presse Medicale, vol. 32, no. 27, pp. 1273–1275, 2003.
- Y. Nonaka, C. Kiyofuji, Y. Takano, and K. Ito, “Pyogenic vertebral osteomyelitis caused by Gemella haemolysans,” Nihon Naika Gakkai Zasshi, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 980–982, 2000.
- M. E. Gatibelza, B. Laroye, J. Lombard, A. Mameli, and E. Thomas, “Management of a ruptured infected abdominal aortic aneurysm and a spondylodiscitis due to Gemella haemolysans,” Annals of Vascular Surgery, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 536.e13–536.e17, 2009.
- F. Eggelmeijer, P. Petit, and B. A. C. Dijkmans, “Total knee arthroplasty infection due to Gemella haemolysans,” British Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 67–69, 1992.
- T. H. Thjotta and J. Boe, “Neisseria haemolysans: a haemolytic species of Neisseria trevisan,” Acta Pathologica Microbiologica Scandinavica, vol. 37, supplement, p. 527, 1938.
- U. Berger, “A proposed new genus of gram-negative cocci: Gemella,” International Bulletin of Bacteriological Nomenclature and Taxonomy, vol. 11, pp. 17–19, 1961.
- E. Stackebrandt, B. Wittek, E. Seewaldt, and K. H. Schleifer, “Physiological, biochemical and phylogenetic studies on Gemella haemolysans,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 361–365, 1982.
- J. A. Lomholt and M. Kilian, “Immunoglobulin A1 protease activity in Gemella haemolysans,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 2760–2762, 2000.
- P. C. Y. Woo, S. K. P. Lau, A. M. Y. Fung, S. K. Chiu, R. W. H. Yung, and K. Y. Yuen, “Gemella bacteraemia characterised by 16S ribosomal RNA gene sequencing,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 56, no. 9, pp. 690–693, 2003.
- U. Berger, “Prevalence of Gemella haemolysans on the pharyngeal mucosa of man,” Medical Microbiology and Immunology, vol. 174, no. 5, pp. 267–274, 1985.
- L. Medina-Gens, A. Bordes-Benítez, J. A. Saéz-Nieto, and M. J. Pena-López, “Infection of a total hip arthroplasty due to Gemella morbillorum,” Enfermedades Infecciosas y Microbiología Clínica, vol. 25, no. 8, p. 553, 2007.
- M. Roche and E. Smyth, “A case of septic arthritis due to infection with Gemella morbillorum,” Journal of Infection, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. e187–e189, 2005.
- R. Von Essen, M. Ikavalko, and B. Forsblom, “Isolation of Gemella morbillorum from joint fluid,” Lancet, vol. 342, no. 8864, pp. 177–178, 1993.
- M. Van Dijk, B. J. Van Royen, P. I. J. Wuisman, T. A. M. Hekker, and C. Van Guldener, “Trochanter osteomyelitis and ipsilateral arthritis due to Gemella morbillorum,” European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 600–602, 1999.
- A. Czarnecki, G. H. Ong, P. Pieroni, E. Trepman, and J. M. Embil, “Gemella morbillorum septic arthritis of the knee and infective endocarditis.,” American Journal of Orthopedics, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. E7–E9, 2007.
- L. García-Bordes, J. A. Aguilera-Repiso, J. C. Serfaty-Soler et al., “An unusual case of spondylodiscitis,” Spine, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. E167–E171, 2010.
- F. E. Stinchfield, L. U. Bigliani, and H. C. Neu, “Late hematogenous infection of total joint replacement,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 62, no. 8, pp. 1345–1350, 1980.
- E. G. Maderazgo, S. Judson, and H. Pasternak, “Late infections of total joint prostheses. A review and recommendations for prevention,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 229, pp. 131–142, 1998.
- E. A. Salvati, A. González Della Valle, B. A. Masri, and C. P. Duncan, “The infected total hip arthroplasty,” Instructional course lectures, vol. 52, pp. 223–245, 2003.
- C. A. Bartzokas, R. Johnson, M. Jane, M. V. Martin, P. K. Pearce, and Y. Saw, “Relation between mouth and haematogenous infection in total joint replacements,” British Medical Journal, vol. 309, no. 6953, pp. 506–508, 1994.
- M. S. El-Alfy and M. H. El-Sayed, “Overwhelming postsplenectomy infection: is quality of patient knowledge enough for prevention?” Hematology Journal, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 77–80, 2004.