- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Pediatrics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 412412, 3 pages
Neonatal Gastric Lactobezoar: Management with N-Acetylcysteine
1Department of Pediatrics, University of Florida, Jacksonville, FL 32209, USA
2Division of Neonatology, Wolfson Children’s Hospital, Jacksonville, FL 32209, USA
3Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Nemours Children’s Clinic, Jacksonville, FL 32209, USA
Received 16 October 2012; Accepted 18 November 2012
Academic Editors: E. Barbi, M. Ehlayel, A. C. Lee, A. Mohta, M. Moschovi, A. E. Scaramuzza, and A. T. Soliman
Copyright © 2012 Sarah Bajorek et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. J. Martin, A. A. Fanaroff, and M. C. Walsh, Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine, Mosby Elsevier, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 8th edition, 2006.
- P. Heinz-Erian, I. Gassner, A. Klein-Franke, et al., “Gastric lactobezoar—a rare disorder?” Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases, vol. 7, article 3, 2012.
- P. Heinz-Erian, A. Klein-Franke, I. Gassner et al., “Disintegration of large gastric lactobezoars by N-acetylcysteine,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 108–110, 2010.
- S. Ü. Sarici, M. Şahin, and M. Yurdakök, “Topical N-acetylcysteine treatment in neonatal ichthyosis,” Turkish Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 245–247, 2003.
- A. L. Fohl, C. E. Johnson, and M. P. Cober, “Stability of extemporaneously prepared acetylcysteine 1% and 10% solutions for treatment of meconium ileus,” American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 69–72, 2011.
- A. Annagur, H. Altunhan, H. A. Yuksekkaya, and R. Ors, “Therapeutic management of neonatal hemochromatosis: report of four cases and literature review,” Human & Experimental Toxicology, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 1728–1734.
- V. A. Ivanov, “Meconium aspiration syndrome treatment—new approaches using old drugs,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 808–810, 2006.
- R. S. Wolf and J. Bruce, “Gastrotomy for lactobezoar in a newborn infant,” The Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 811–812, 1959.
- S. S. Usmani and J. Levenbrown, “Lactobezoar in a full-term breast-fed infant,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 647–649, 1989.
- J. N. Lemoh and J. Watt, “Lactobezoar and cows' milk protein intolerance,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 128–129, 1980.
- H. A. Schlang, “Acetylcysteine in removal of bezoar,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 214, no. 7, p. 1329, 1970.
- Acetylcysteine [package insert], Shirley, NY, USA, American Regent Inc, 2005.
- V. S. Bebarta, L. Kao, B. Froberg, et al., “A multicenter comparison of the safety of oral versus intravenous acetylcysteine for treatment of acetaminophen overdose,” Clinical Toxicology, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 424–430.
- A. Cooke, A. V. Deshpande, C. K. F. Wong, and R. Cohen, “Hepatic derangement following N-Acetylcysteine enemas in an infant with cystic fibrosis,” Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, vol. 44, no. 11, pp. 673–675, 2008.