- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Pediatrics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 945437, 5 pages
Newborn with Dilated Cardiomyopathy Secondary to Vitamin D Deficiency
Pediatric Endocrinology Division, King Abdulaziz Medical City, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Received 27 May 2012; Accepted 24 July 2012
Academic Editors: A. W. Kamps and E. N. Ozmert
Copyright © 2012 Hanan AL Azkawi and Angham Al Mutair. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. F. Cox, L. A. Sleeper, A. M. Lowe et al., “Factors associated with establishing a causal diagnosis for children with cardiomyopathy,” Pediatrics, vol. 118, no. 4, pp. 1519–1531, 2006.
- B. G. Kim, S. K. Chang, S. M. Kim, J. S. Hwang, and J. W. Jung, “Dilated cardiomyopathy in a 2 month-old infant: a severe form of hypocalcemia with vitamin D deficient rickets,” Korean Circulation Journal, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 201–203, 2010.
- S. Gulati, A. Bajpai, R. Juneja, M. Kabra, A. Bagga, and V. Kalra, “Hypocalcemic heart failure masquerading as dilated cardiomyopathy,” Indian Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 287–290, 2001.
- K. S. Joong, “A case of hypocalcemia induced dilated cardiomyopathy,” Journal of Cardiovascular Ultrasound, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 25–27, 2010.
- M. S. Al-Atawi, I. A. Al-Alwan, A. N. Al-Mutair, H. M. Tamim, and N. A. Al-Jurayyan, “Epidemiology of nutritional rickets in children,” Saudi Journal of Kidney Diseases and Transplantation, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 260–265, 2009.
- D. M. Bers, “Cardiac excitation-contraction coupling,” Nature, vol. 415, no. 6868, pp. 198–205, 2002.
- R. E. Behrman, R. M. Kliegman, and H. B. Jenson, Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 16th edition, 2000.
- A. Jayakumar, L. Cheng, C. T. Liang, and B. Sacktor, “Sodium gradient-dependent calcium uptake in renal basolateral membrane vesicles. Effect of parathyroid hormone,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 259, no. 17, pp. 10827–10833, 1984.
- D. I. Price, L. C. Stanford Jr., D. S. Braden, M. R. Ebeid, and J. C. Smith, “Hypocalcemic rickets: an unusual cause of dilated cardiomyopathy,” Pediatric Cardiology, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 510–512, 2003.
- J. M. Nozza and C. P. Rodda, “Vitamin D deficiency in mothers of infants with rickets,” Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 175, no. 5, pp. 253–255, 2001.
- S. R. Grover and R. Morley, “Vitamin D deficiency in veiled or dark-skinned pregnant women,” Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 175, no. 5, pp. 251–252, 2001.
- R. Namgung and R. C. Tsang, “Factors affecting newborn bone mineral content: in utero effects on newborn bone mineralization,” Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 55–63, 2000.
- J. Brown, S. Nunez, M. Russell, and C. Spurney, “Hypocalcemic rickets and dilated cardiomyopathy: case reports and review of literature,” Pediatric Cardiology, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 818–823, 2009.
- A. Mustafa, J. L. Bigras, and B. W. McCrindle, “Dilated cardiomyopathy as a first sign of nutritional vitamin D deficiency rickets in infancy,” Canadian Journal of Cardiology, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 699–701, 1999.
- R. E. Kleinman, Pediatric Nutrition Handbook, American Academy of Pediatrics, Elk Grove Village, Ill, USA, 4th edition, 1998.
- C. L. Wagner and F. R. Greer, “Prevention of rickets and vitamin D deficiency in infants, children, and adolescents,” Pediatrics, vol. 122, no. 5, pp. 1142–1152, 2008.
- “Canadian paediatric society, vitamin D supplementation: recommendations for canadian mothers and infants,” Paediatrics & Child Health, vol. 12, pp. 583–589, 2007.
- R. Mosalli, E. Yasser, A. M. Ali, and S. Al Harbi, “Congenital vitamin D deficiency: a rare etiology of an acute life threatening event in early infancy,” Saudi Journal of Kidney Diseases and Transplantation, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 511–514, 2010.
- M. Tomar, S. Radhakrishnan, and S. Shrivastava, “Myocardial dysfunction due to hypocalcemia,” Indian Pediatrics, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 781–783, 2010.