- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Psychiatry
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 749796, 3 pages
Memantine as an Augmentation Therapy for Anxiety Disorders
Department of Psychiatry, SUNY Upstate Medical University, 750 E. Adams Street, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
Received 23 August 2011; Accepted 9 October 2011
Academic Editors: I. G. Anghelescu, D. E. Dietrich, Y. Kaneda, J. Nakamura, and J. Saiz-Ruiz
Copyright © 2012 Thomas L. Schwartz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. E. Narrow, D. S. Rae, L. N. Robins, and D. A. Regier, “Revised prevalence estimates of mental disorders in the United States: using a clinical significance criterion to reconcile 2 surveys' estimates,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 115–123, 2002.
- J. C. Ballenger, “Current treatments of the anxiety disorders in adults,” Biological Psychiatry, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 1579–1594, 1999.
- T. L. Schwartz, N. Azhar, J. Husain et al., “An open-label study of tiagabine as augmentation therapy for anxiety,” Annals of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 167–172, 2005.
- B. M. Cortese and K. L. Phan, “The role of glutamate in anxiety and related disorders,” CNS Spectrums, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 820–830, 2005.
- C. J. Swanson, M. Bures, M. P. Johnson, A. M. Linden, J. A. Monn, and D. D. Schoepp, “Metabotropic glutamate receptors as novel targets for anxiety and stress disorders,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 131–144, 2005.
- N. Bassil and G. T. Grossberg, “Novel regimens and delivery systems in the pharmacological treatment of Alzheimer's disease,” CNS Drugs, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 293–307, 2009.
- R. Minkeviciene, P. Banerjee, and H. Tanila, “Cognition-enhancing and anxiolytic effects of memantine,” Neuropharmacology, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 1079–1085, 2008.
- E. Aboujaoude, J. J. Barry, and N. Gamel, “Memantine augmentation in treatment-resistant obsessive-compulsive disorder: an open-label trial,” Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 51–55, 2009.
- M. A. Battista, R. Hierholzer, H. R. Khouzam, A. Barlow, and S. O'Toole, “Pilot trial of memantine in the treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder,” Psychiatry, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 167–174, 2007.
- S. J. Thomas and G. T. Grossberg, “Memantine: a review of studies into its safety and efficacy in treating Alzheimer's disease and other dementias,” Clinical Interventions in Aging, vol. 4, pp. 367–377, 2009.