- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Psychiatry
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 949256, 3 pages
Biperiden Dependence: Case Report and Literature Review
1Department of Internal Medicine, University of Murcia, 30120 Murcia, Spain
2Department of Psychiatry, MetroHealth Medical Center, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44109, USA
3Department of Psychiatry, Hospital Virgen de La Arrixaca, University of Murcia, 30120 Murcia, Spain
Received 14 January 2012; Accepted 4 April 2012
Academic Editor: D. Matsuzawa
Copyright © 2012 Fernando Espi Martinez et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Dose and H. D. Tempel, “Abuse potential of anticholinergics,” Pharmacopsychiatry, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 43–46, 2000.
- R. F. Grace, “Benztropine abuse and overdose—case report and review,” Adverse Drug Reactions and Toxicological Reviews, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 103–112, 1997.
- Y. Tamura, S. Chiba, H. Takasaki, K. Tabata, Y. Ishimaru, and T. Ishimoto, “Biperiden-induced delirium model in rats: a behavioral and electroencephalographic study,” Brain Research, vol. 1115, no. 1, pp. 194–199, 2006.
- S. White, “The neuropathogenesis of delirium,” Reviews in Clinical Gerontology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 62–67, 2002.
- N. Buhrich, A. Weller, and P. Kevans, “Misuse of anticholinergic drugs by people with serious mental illness,” Psychiatric Services, vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 928–929, 2000.
- L. Chamorro García, “Dependence on anticholinergics among schizophrenics. Iatrogenic disease or self-medication?” Actas Luso-Espanolas de Neurologia Psiquiatria y Ciencias Afines, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 298–303, 1991.
- R. M. Schulte, “Abuse of biperiden as a participating factor in polytoxicomania,” Psychiatrische Praxis, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 53–56, 1988.
- P. A. Soler Insa, “Abuso y Dependencia de Farmacos Antiparkisonianos,” Trastornos Adictivos, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 172–176, 2000.
- D. J. Meagher, M. Moran, B. Raju et al., “Phenomenology of delirium: assessment of 100 adult cases using standardised measures,” British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 190, pp. 135–141, 2007.
- M. J. Burns, C. H. Linden, A. Graudins, R. M. Brown, and K. E. Fletcher, “A comparison of physostigmine and benzodiazepines for the treatment of anticholinergic poisoning,” Annals of Emergency Medicine, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 374–381, 2000.
- K. A. Hadidi, “Development of a screening method for the most commonly abused anticholinergic drugs in Jordan; Trihexyphenidyl, procyclidine and biperiden,” Legal Medicine, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 233–241, 2004.
- P. Gjerden, J. G. Bramness, and L. Slørdal, “The use and potential abuse of anticholinergic antiparkinson drugs in Norway: a pharmacoepidemiological study,” British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 228–233, 2009.
- W. W. Fleischhacker, C. Barnas, V. Gunther, U. Meise, C. Stuppack, and B. Uterweger, “Mood-altering effects of biperiden in healthy volunteers,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 153–157, 1987.
- R. C. Pierce and V. Kumaresan, “The mesolimbic dopamine system: the final common pathway for the reinforcing effect of drugs of abuse?” Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 215–238, 2006.
- D. B. Lester, T. D. Rogers, and C. D. Blaha, “Acetylcholine-dopamine interactions in the pathophysiology and treatment of CNS disorders,” CNS Neuroscience and Therapeutics, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 137–162, 2010.