- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Surgery
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 293568, 5 pages
Internal Jugular Vein Entrapment in a Multiple Sclerosis Patient
Department of Vascular Surgery, EuroMedic Medical Center, Street Kościuszki 92, 40-519 Katowice, Poland
Received 16 June 2012; Accepted 16 September 2012
Academic Editors: I. Harirchi, H. Kawai, and G. Santori
Copyright © 2012 Marian Simka et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Zamboni, R. Galeotti, E. Menegatti et al., “Chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency in patients with multiple sclerosis,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 392–399, 2009.
- P. Zamboni, E. Menegatti, B. Weinstock-Guttman et al., “Hypoperfusion of brain parenchyma is associated with the severity of chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency in patients with multiple sclerosis: a cross-sectional preliminary report,” BMC Medicine, vol. 9, article 22, 2011.
- R. Zivadinov, M. Ramanathan, and K. Dolic, “Chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency in multiple sclerosis: diagnostic, pathogenetic, clinical and treatment perspective,” Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics, vol. 11, pp. 1277–1294, 2011.
- E. M. Haacke, “Chronic cerebral spinal venous insufficiency in multiple sclerosis,” Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 5–9, 2011.
- M. Simka, P. Latacz, and T. Ludyga, “Prevalence of extracranial venous abnormalities: results from a sample of 586 multiple sclerosis patients,” Functional Neurology, vol. 26, pp. 197–203, 2011.
- M. Simka and M. Zaniewski, “Reinterpreting the magnetic resonance signs of hemodynamic impairment in the brains of multiple sclerosis patients from the perspective of a recent discovery of outflow block in the extracranial veins,” Journal of Neuroscience Research, vol. 88, no. 9, pp. 1841–1845, 2010.
- M. Simka, “Blood brain barrier compromise with endothelial inflammation may lead to autoimmune loss of myelin during multiple sclerosis,” Current Neurovascular Research, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 132–139, 2009.
- M. H. Al-Omari and A. Al-Bashir, “Internal jugular vein valve morphology in the patients with chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency (CCSVI); angiographic findings and schematic demonstrations,” Reviews on Recent Clinical Trials, vol. 7, pp. 83–87, 2012.
- K. Dolic, K. Marr, V. Valnarov et al., “Intra- and extraluminal structural and functional venous anomalies in multiple sclerosis, as evidenced by 2 noninvasive imaging techniques,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 33, pp. 16–23, 2012.
- S. Bastianello, A. Romani, G. Viselner, et al., “Chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency in multiple sclerosis: clinical correlates from a multicentre astudy,” BMC Neurology, vol. 11, article 132, 2011.
- J. F. Kurtzke, “Rating neurologic impairment in multiple sclerosis: an expanded disability status scale (EDSS),” Neurology, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 1444–1452, 1983.
- J. Hobart, D. Lamping, R. Fitzpatrick, A. Riazi, and A. Thompson, “The multiple sclerosis impact scale (MSIS-29) a new patient-based outcome measure,” Brain, vol. 124, no. 5, pp. 962–973, 2001.
- H. Fukuda, K. Onizawa, T. Hagiwara, and H. Iwama, “The omohyoid muscle: a variation seen in radical neck dissection,” British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 399–400, 1998.
- E. S. Hatipoǧlu, P. Kervancioǧlu, and M. C. Tuncer, “An unusual variation of the omohyoid muscle and review of literature,” Annals of Anatomy, vol. 188, no. 5, pp. 469–472, 2006.
- D. I. Kim, H. J. Kim, J. Y. Park, and K. S. Lee, “Variation of the Infrahyoid muscle: duplicated omohyoid and appearance of the levator glandulae thyroideae muscles,” Yonsei Medical Journal, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 984–986, 2010.
- R. Rai, S. R. Nayak, A. V. Ranade, L. V. Prabhu, and R. Vadgaonkar, “Duplicated omohyoid muscle and its clinical significance,” Romanian Journal of Morphology and Embryology, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 295–297, 2007.
- R. Rai, A. Ranade, S. Nayak, R. Vadgaonkar, P. Mangala, and A. Krishnamurthy, “A study of anatomical variability of the omohyoid muscle and its clinical relevance,” Clinics, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 521–524, 2008.
- R. Sukekawa and I. Itoh, “Anatomical study of the human omohyoid muscle: regarding intermediate morphologies between normal and anomalous morphologies of the superior belly,” Anatomical Science International, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 107–114, 2006.
- J. A. Buntine, “The omohyoid muscle and fascia: morphology and anomalies,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 86–88, 1970.
- L. Kim, H. Kwon, and S. B. Pyun, “Pseudodysphagia due to omohyoid muscle syndrome,” Dysphagia, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 357–361, 2009.
- F. H. Lepp, “Recherches sur la partie caverneuse du plexus veineux ptérygoïdien et ses rapports avec le système des espaces ou fentes de glissement parapharyngiens. Remarques sur la signification physiologique du bâillement,” Bulletin du Groupèment International pour la Recherche Scientifique en Stomatologie & Odontologie, vol. 25, pp. 251–290, 1982.
- P. Patra, T. K. Gunness, R. Robert et al., “Physiologic variations of the internal jugular vein surface, role of the omohyoid muscle, a preliminary echographic study,” Surgical and Radiologic Anatomy, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 107–112, 1988.
- M. Simka, T. Ludyga, P. Latacz, and M. Kazibudzki, “Diagnostic accuracy of current sonographic criteria for the detection of outflow abnormalities in the internal jugular veins,” Phlebology. In press.
- R. Zivadinov, K. Marr, G. Cutter et al., “Prevalence, sensitivity, and specificity of chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency in MS,” Neurology, vol. 77, pp. 138–144, 2011.
- M. V. Jayaraman, J. L. Boxerman, L. M. Davis, et al., “Incidence of extrinsic compression of the internal jugular vein in unselected patients undergoing CT angiography,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 33, pp. 1247–1250, 2012.
- A. Thakur, A. Bertha, and S. K. Parmar, “Multiple variations in neck musculature and their surgical implications,” International Journal of Anatomical Variations, vol. 4, pp. 171–173, 2011.
- V. Mehta, V. Gupta, J. Arora, et al., “Bilateral bipartite origin of the posterior belly of digastric muscle: a clinico-anatomical appraisal,” Anatomy, vol. 5, pp. 44–47, 2011.
- M. Zaniewski and M. Simka, “Biophysics of venous return from the brain from the perspective of the pathophysiology of chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency,” Reviews on Recent Clinical Trials, vol. 7, pp. 88–92, 2012.
- P. Zamboni, R. Galeotti, E. Menegatti et al., “A prospective open-label study of endovascular treatment of chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 1348–1358, 2009.
- J. Kostecki, M. Zaniewski, and K. Ziaja, “An endovascular treatment of chronic cerebro-spinal venous insufficiency in multiple sclerosis patients—6 month follow-up results,” Neuroendocrinology Letters, vol. 32, pp. 557–562, 2011.