- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Transplantation
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 493758, 5 pages
Invasive Aspergillosis in a Renal Transplant Recipient Successfully Treated with Interferon-Gamma
1Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, State University of New York at Stony Brook, HSC T-16 Rm 080, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
2Division of Pulmonology, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
3Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
4Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
5Transplantation Services, School of Medicine, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
Received 27 June 2012; Accepted 27 August 2012
Academic Editors: D. Capone and N. Leveque
Copyright © 2012 C. Estrada et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. W. Baddley, D. R. Andes, K. A. Marr et al., “Factors associated with mortality in transplant patients with invasive Aspergillosis,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 50, no. 12, pp. 1559–1567, 2010.
- R. Herbrecht, D. W. Denning, T. F. Patterson et al., “Voriconazole versus amphotericin B for primary therapy of invasive Aspergillosis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 347, no. 6, pp. 408–415, 2002.
- S. J. Howard, D. Cerar, M. J. Anderson et al., “Frequency and evolution of azole resistance in Aspergillus fumigatus associated with treatment failure,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 1068–1076, 2009.
- J. Gavalda, O. Len, R. San Juan et al., “Risk factors for invasive Aspergillosis in solid-organ transplant recipients: a case-control study,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 52–59, 2005.
- M. K. Ju, D. J. Joo, S. J. Kim et al., “Invasive pulmonary Aspergillosis after solid organ transplantation: diagnosis and treatment based on 28 years of transplantation experience,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 375–378, 2009.
- H. Nagai, J. Guo, H. Choi, and V. P. Kurup, “Interferon-γ and tumor necrosis factor-α protect mice from invasive Aspergillosis,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 172, no. 6, pp. 1554–1560, 1995.
- E. Cenci, A. Mencacci, C. F. D'Ostiani et al., “Cytokine- and T helper-dependent lung mucosal immunity in mice with invasive pulmonary Aspergillosis,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 178, no. 6, pp. 1750–1760, 1998.
- D. Armstrong-James, I. A. Teo, S. Shrivastava et al., “Exogenous interferon-γ immunotherapy for invasive fungal infections in kidney transplant patients,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 1796–1803, 2010.
- T. J. Walsh, E. J. Anaissie, D. W. Denning et al., “Treatment of Aspergillosis: clinical practice guidelines of the infectious diseases society of America,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 327–360, 2008.
- D. E. Morgenstern, M. A. C. Gifford, L. L. Li, C. M. Doerschuk, and M. C. Dinauer, “Absence of respiratory burst in X-linked chronic granulomatous disease mice leads to abnormalities in both host defense and inflammatory response to Aspergillus fumigatus,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 185, no. 2, pp. 207–218, 1997.
- Y. Nivoix, M. Velten, V. Letscher-Bru et al., “Factors associated with overall and attributable mortality in invasive Aspergillosis,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 1176–1184, 2008.
- S. J. Lin, J. Schranz, and S. M. Teutsch, “Aspergillosis case-fatality rate: systematic review of the literature,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 358–366, 2001.
- G. Maschmeyer, A. Haas, and O. A. Cornely, “Invasive Aspergillosis: epidemiology, diagnosis and management in immunocompromised patients,” Drugs, vol. 67, no. 11, pp. 1567–1601, 2007.
- M. D. Moragues, E. Amutio, J. C. García-Ruiz, and J. Pontón, “Usefulness of galactomannan detection in the diagnosis and follow-up of hematological patients with invasive Aspergillosis,” Revista Iberoamericana de Micologia, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 103–110, 2003.
- C. D. Pfeiffer, J. P. Fine, and N. Safdar, “Diagnosis of invasive Aspergillosis using a galactomannan assay: a meta-analysis,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 1417–1427, 2006.
- O. Lortholary, J. P. Gangneux, K. Sitbon et al., “Epidemiological trends in invasive Aspergillosis in France: the SAIF network (2005–2007),” Clinical Microbiology and Infection, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 1882–1889, 2011.
- J. Acosta, M. Catalan, A. del Palacio-Pérez-Medel et al., “Prospective study in critically ill non-neutropenic patients: diagnostic potential of (1,3)-β-D-glucan assay and circulating galactomannan for the diagnosis of invasive fungal disease,” European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 721–731, 2011.
- R. E. Greene, H. T. Schlamm, J. W. Oestmann et al., “Imaging findings in acute invasive pulmonary Aspergillosis: clinical significance of the halo sign,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 373–379, 2007.
- D. Capone, G. Tarantino, A. Gentile et al., “Effects of voriconazole on tacrolimus metabolism in a kidney transplant recipient,” Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 121–124, 2010.
- R. E. Lewis and D. P. Kontoyiannis, “Micafungin in combination with voriconazole in Aspergillus species: a pharmacodynamic approach for detection of combined antifungal activity in vitro,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 887–892, 2005.
- K. Heyn, A. Tredup, S. Salvenmoser, and F. M. C. Müller, “Effect of voriconazole combined with micafungin against Candida, Aspergillus, and Scedosporium spp. and Fusarium solani,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 49, no. 12, pp. 5157–5159, 2005.
- H. Hebart, C. Bollinger, P. Fisch et al., “Analysis of T-cell responses to Aspergillus fumigatus antigens in healthy individuals and patients with hematologic malignancies,” Blood, vol. 100, no. 13, pp. 4521–4528, 2002.
- W. J. Steinbach and D. A. Stevens, “Review of newer antifungal and immunomodulatory strategies for invasive Aspergillosis,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 37, supplement 3, pp. S157–S187, 2003.
- H. Krook, L. Wennberg, A. Hagberg, Z. Song, C. G. Groth, and O. Korsgren, “Immunosuppressive drugs in islet xenotransplantation: a tool for gaining further insights in the mechanisms of the rejection process,” Transplantation, vol. 74, no. 8, pp. 1084–1089, 2002.
- O. Morteau, S. Blundell, A. Chakera et al., “Renal transplant immunosuppression impairs natural killer cell function in vitro and in vivo,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 10, Article ID e13294, 2010.