- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Transplantation
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 309545, 4 pages
Acute Liver Failure Occurring during the First Trimester of Pregnancy Successfully Treated with Living Donor Liver Transplantation
1Department of Gastroenterology and Nephrology, Chiba University, Graduate School of Medicine, 1-8-1 Inohana, Chuo-ku,
Chiba 260-8677, Japan
2Department of General Surgery, Chiba University, Graduate School of Medicine, Chuo-ku, Chiba 260-8677, Japan
3Department of Reproductive Medicine, Chiba University, Graduate School of Medicine, Chuo-ku, Chiba 260-8677, Japan
4Department of Emergency and Critical Care Medicine, Chiba University, Graduate School of Medicine, Chuo-ku, Chiba 260-8677, Japan
Received 1 October 2013; Accepted 13 November 2013
Academic Editors: D. Capone, C. F. Classen, C. Costa, and F. Keller
Copyright © 2013 Naoya Kanogawa et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. K. Burroughs and E. J. Heathcote, “The liver in pregnancy,” in Sherlock's Diseases of the Liver and Biliary System, J. S. Dooly, A. S. F. Lok, A. K. Burroughs, and E. J. Heathcoate, Eds., pp. 602–614, John Wiley & Sons, West Sussex, UK, 12th edition, 2011.
- T. Miyamura, T. Kanda, S. Minemura et al., “Acute liver failure associated with propylthiouracil in a pregnant 26-year-old woman,” Case Reports in Gastroenterology, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 240–244, 2013.
- N. K. Kuşcu and F. Koyuncu, “Hyperemesis gravidarum: current concepts and management,” Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 78, no. 916, pp. 76–79, 2002.
- D. B. Fell, L. Dodds, K. S. Joseph, V. M. Allen, and B. Butler, “Risk factors for hyperemesis gravidarum requiring hospital admission during pregnancy,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 107, no. 2, part 1, pp. 277–284, 2006.
- C. V. Morris, R. M. Goldstein, J. B. Cofer, H. Solomon, and G. B. Klintmalm, “An unusual presentation of fulminant hepatic failure secondary to propylthiouracil therapy,” Clinical transplants, p. 311, 1989.
- J. Fair, A. S. Klein, T. Feng, W. T. Merritt, and J. F. Burdick, “Intrapartum orthotopic liver transplantation with successful outcome of pregnancy,” Transplantation, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 534–535, 1990.
- E. G. Moreno, G. I. Garcia, S. R. Gomez et al., “Fulminant hepatic failure during pregnancy successfully treated by orthotopic liver transplantation,” Transplantation, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 923–926, 1991.
- M. I. R. Hamilton, R. Alcock, L. Magos, S. Mallett, K. Rolles, and A. K. Burroughs, “Liver transplantation during pregnancy,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 2967–2968, 1993.
- D. E. Finlay, M. C. Foshager, D. G. Longley, and J. G. Letourneau, “Ischemic injury to the fetus after maternal liver transplantation,” Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 145–148, 1994.
- S. M. Catnach, M. McCarthy, E. Jauniaux et al., “Liver transplantation during pregnancy complicated by cytomegalovirus infection,” Transplantation, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 510–511, 1995.
- P. Remiszewski, J. Pawlak, A. Skwarek et al., “Orthotopic liver transplantation for acute liver failure resulting from ‘acute fatty liver of pregnancy’,” Annals of Transplantation, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 8–11, 2003.
- N. Jarufe, A. Soza, R. M. Pérez-Ayuso et al., “Successful liver transplantation and delivery in a woman with fulminant hepatic failure occurring during the second trimester of pregnancy,” Liver International, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 494–497, 2006.
- Z. Jankovic, D. Stamenkovic, B. Duncan, R. Prasad, and M. Davies, “Successful outcome after a technically challenging liver transplant during pregnancy,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 1704–1706, 2007.
- L. Toti, T. M. Manzia, P. Romano et al., “Successful management of a same-day emergency delivery and liver transplant in a 27 weeks pregnant woman with fulminant hepatic failure,” Transplant International, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 114–115, 2010.
- V. C. Muddukuri, C. D. Stephenson, L. Eskind, W. A. Ahrens, P. Purdum, and M. W. Russo, “Liver transplantation for acute liver failure at 11-week gestation with successful maternal and fetal outcome,” Case Reports in Transplantation, vol. 2012, Article ID 484080, 7 pages, 2012.
- C. M. Lo, P. Gertsch, and S. T. Fan, “Living unrelated liver transplantation between spouses for fulminant hepatic failure,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 82, no. 8, p. 1037, 1995.
- T. Kato, J. R. Nery, J. J. Morcos et al., “Successful living related liver transplantation in an adult with fulminant hepatic failure,” Transplantation, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 415–417, 1997.
- S. Eguchi, K. Yanaga, F. Fujita et al., “Living-related right lobe liver transplantation for a patient with fulminant hepatic failure during the second trimester of pregnancy: report of a case,” Transplantation, vol. 73, no. 12, pp. 1970–1971, 2002.
- Y. Horikoshi, H. Itoh, S. Kikuchi et al., “Successful living donor liver transplantation for fulminant hepatic failure that manifested immediately after cesarean delivery,” ASAIO Journal, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 174–176, 2012.
- Y. Simsek, B. Isik, A. Karaer et al., “Fulminant hepatitis A infection in second trimester of pregnancy requiring living-donor liver transplantation,” Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 745–748, 2012.
- S. A. Laifer, M. J. Darby, V. P. Scantlebury, J. H. Harger, and S. N. Caritis, “Pregnancy and liver transplantation,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 76, no. 6, pp. 1083–1088, 1990.
- S. A. Ockner, E. M. Brunt, S. M. Cohn, E. S. Krul, D. W. Hanto, and M. G. Peters, “Fulminant hepatic failure caused by acute fatty liver of pregnancy treated by orthotopic liver transplantation,” Hepatology, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 59–64, 1990.
- M. Bourliere, Y. P. Le Treut, J. C. Manelli et al., “Chlormezanone-induced fulminant hepatitis in a pregnant woman: successful delivery and liver transplantation,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 339–341, 1992.
- E. J. Gill, M. J. Contos, and T. C. C. Peng, “Acute fatty liver of pregnancy and acetaminophen toxicity leading to liver failure and postpartum liver transplantation: A case report,” Journal of Reproductive Medicine for the Obstetrician and Gynecologist, vol. 47, no. 7, pp. 584–586, 2002.
- E. Sequeira, S. Wanyonyi, and R. Dodia, “Severe propylthiouracil-induced hepatotoxicity in pregnancy managed successfully by liver transplantation: a case report,” Journal of Medical Case Reports, vol. 5, article 461, 2011.
- M. Anders, E. Quiñonez, N. Goldaracena et al., “Liver transplantation during pregnancy in a patient with acute liver failure,” Acta Gastroenterologica Latinoamericana, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 268–270, 2010.