- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Cardiology Research and Practice
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 313948, 7 pages
Modelling the Role of Dietary Habits and Eating Behaviours on the Development of Acute Coronary Syndrome or Stroke: Aims, Design, and Validation Properties of a Case-Control Study
1School of Medicine, University of Ioannina, 45110 Ioannina, Greece
2Department of Nutrition Science and Dietetics, Harokopio University, 17671 Athens, Greece
Received 2 August 2010; Accepted 25 August 2010
Academic Editor: Christina Chrysohoou
Copyright © 2011 Christina-Maria Kastorini et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- AHA. American Heart Association, Heart and Stroke Statistical Update, American Heart Association, Dallas, Tex, USA, 2008.
- World Health Organization, “The top 10 causes of death,” March 2009, http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/index.html.
- T. T. Fung, K. M. Rexrode, C. S. Mantzoros, J. E. Manson, W. C. Willett, and F. B. Hu, “Mediterranean diet and incidence of and mortality from coronary heart disease and stroke in women,” Circulation, vol. 119, no. 8, pp. 1093–1100, 2009.
- S. Lee, L. Harnack, D. R. Jacobs Jr., L. M. Steffen, R. V. Luepker, and D. K. Arnett, “Trends in diet quality for coronary heart disease prevention between 1980–1982 and 2000–2002: the Minnesota Heart Survey,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 213–222, 2007.
- A. Keys, A. Menotti, C. Aravanis, et al., “The seven countries study: 2,289 deaths in 15 years,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 141–154, 1984.
- M. de Lorgeril, P. Salen, J.-L. Martin, I. Monjaud, J. Delaye, and N. Mamelle, “Mediterranean diet, traditional risk factors, and the rate of cardiovascular complications after myocardial infarction: final report of the Lyon Diet Heart Study,” Circulation, vol. 99, no. 6, pp. 779–785, 1999.
- F. B. Hu and W. C. Willett, “Optimal diets for prevention of coronary heart disease,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 288, no. 20, pp. 2569–2578, 2002.
- J. S. Skinner, C. J. Albers, J. Goudevenos et al., “Prospective study of patients aged 55 years or less with acute myocardial infarction between 1981 and 1985: outcome 7 years and beyond,” British Heart Journal, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. 604–610, 1995.
- T. O. Cheng, “Influence of dietary patterns on stroke risk in China,” Stroke, vol. 36, no. 2, p. 228, 2005.
- T. T. Fung, M. J. Stampfer, J. E. Manson, K. M. Rexrode, W. C. Willett, and F. B. Hu, “Prospective study of major dietary patterns and stroke risk in women,” Stroke, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 2014–2019, 2004.
- N. Lipovetzky, H. Hod, A. Roth, Y. Kishon, S. Sclarovsky, and M. S. Green, “Heavy meals as a trigger for a first event of the acute coronary syndrome: a case-crossover study,” Israel Medical Association Journal, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 728–731, 2004.
- F. Kronenberg, M. A. Pereira, M. K. Schmitz et al., “Influence of leisure time physical activity and television watching on atherosclerosis risk factors in the NHLBI Family Heart Study,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 153, no. 2, pp. 433–443, 2000.
- H. Campos and X. Siles, “Siesta and the risk of coronary heart disease: results from a population-based, case-control study in Costa Rica,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 429–437, 2000.
- A. Naska, E. Oikonomou, A. Trichopoulou, T. Psaltopoulou, and D. Trichopoulos, “Siesta in healthy adults and coronary mortality in the general population,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 167, no. 3, pp. 296–301, 2007.
- A. I. Qureshi, W. H. Giles, J. B. Croft, and D. L. Bliwise, “Habitual sleep patterns and risk for stroke and coronary heart disease: a 10-year follow-up from NHANES I,” Neurology, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 904–911, 1997.
- K. Thygesen, J. S. Alpert, and H. D. White, “Universal definition of myocardial infarction,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 50, no. 22, pp. 2173–2195, 2007.
- E. Braunwald, Heart Disease, W.B. Saunders, London, UK, 5th edition, 1997.
- C. S. Kidwell and S. Warach, “Acute ischemic cerebrovascular syndrome: diagnostic criteria,” Stroke, vol. 34, no. 12, pp. 2995–2998, 2003.
- C. L. Craig, A. L. Marshall, M. Sjöström et al., “International physical activity questionnaire: 12-country reliability and validity,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 1381–1395, 2003.
- G. Papathanasiou, G. Georgoudis, M. Papandreou et al., “Reliability measures of the short International Physical Activity Questionnaire (IPAQ) in Greek young adults,” Hellenic Journal of Cardiology, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 283–294, 2009.
- D. B. Panagiotakos, C. Pitsavos, and C. Stefanadis, “Dietary patterns: a Mediterranean diet score and its relation to clinical and biological markers of cardiovascular disease risk,” Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 559–568, 2006.
- D. B. Panagiotakos, C. Pitsavos, F. Arvaniti, and C. Stefanadis, “Adherence to the Mediterranean food pattern predicts the prevalence of hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, diabetes and obesity, among healthy adults; the accuracy of the MedDietScore,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 335–340, 2007.
- D. Panagiotakos, N. Kalogeropoulos, C. Pitsavos, et al., “Validation of the MedDietScore via the determination of plasma fatty acids,” International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, vol. 60, supplement 5, pp. 168–180, 2009.
- W. W. Zung, “A self-rating depression scale,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 12, pp. 63–70, 1965.
- K. Fountoulakis, A. Iacovides, S. Samolis et al., “Reliability, validity and psychometric properties of the Greek translation of the Zung Depression Rating Scale,” BMC Psychiatry, vol. 1, Article ID 6, 2001.
- Spielberger, CDGRLLRE: Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (Self-Evaluation Questionnaire), Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto, Calif, USA, 1970.
- K. N. Fountoulakis, M. Papadopoulou, S. Kleanthous et al., “Reliability and psychometric properties of the Greek translation of the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory form Y: preliminary data,” Annals of General Psychiatry, vol. 5, article 2, 2006.
- D. Lairon, “Intervention studies on Mediterranean diet and cardiovascular risk,” Molecular Nutrition and Food Research, vol. 51, no. 10, pp. 1209–1214, 2007.
- F. Sofi, G. Innocenti, C. Dini et al., “Low adherence of a clinically healthy Italian population to nutritional recommendations for primary prevention of chronic diseases,” Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 436–444, 2006.