- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Cardiology Research and Practice
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 837238, 7 pages
Exercise Training for Heart Failure Patients with and without Systolic Dysfunction: An Evidence-Based Analysis of How Patients Benefit
Faculty of Health Science and Medicine, Bond University, Robina, QLD 4229, Australia
Received 23 July 2010; Accepted 19 September 2010
Academic Editor: Javed Butler
Copyright © 2011 Neil Smart. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. F. Piepoli, C. Davos, D. P. Francis, and A. J. Coats, “Exercise training meta-analysis of trials in patients with chronic heart failure (ExTraMATCH),” British Medical Journal, vol. 328, article 189, 2004.
- F. Lloyd-Williams, F. S. Mair, and M. Leitner, “Exercise training and heart failure: a systematic review of current evidence,” British Journal of General Practice, vol. 52, no. 474, pp. 47–55, 2002.
- B. A. F. van Tol, R. J. Huijsmans, D. W. Kroon, M. Schothorst, and G. Kwakkel, “Effects of exercise training on cardiac performance, exercise capacity and quality of life in patients with heart failure: a meta-analysis,” European Journal of Heart Failure, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 841–850, 2006.
- N. Smart and T. H. Marwick, “Exercise training for patients with heart failure: a systematic review of factors that improve mortality and morbidity,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 116, no. 10, pp. 693–706, 2004.
- M. J. Haykowsky, Y. Liang, D. Pechter, L. W. Jones, F. A. McAlister, and A. M. Clark, “A meta-analysis of the effect of exercise training on left ventricular remodeling in heart failure patients. The benefit depends on the type of training performed,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 49, no. 24, pp. 2329–2336, 2007.
- R. Hambrecht, L. Hilbrich, S. Erbs et al., “Correction of endothelial dysfunction in chronic heart failure: additional effects of exercise training and oral L-arginine supplementation,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 706–713, 2000.
- G. S. Bleumink, A. M. Knetsch, M. C. J. M. Sturkenboom et al., “Quantifying the heart failure epidemic: prevalence, incidence rate, lifetime risk and prognosis of heart failure—the Rotterdam Study,” European Heart Journal, vol. 25, no. 18, pp. 1614–1619, 2004.
- C. M. O'Connor, D. J. Whellan, K. L. Lee et al., “Efficacy and safety of exercise training in patients with chronic heart failure HF-ACTION randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 301, no. 14, pp. 1439–1450, 2009.
- S. A. Hunt, D. W. Baker, M. H. Chin et al., “ACC/AHA guidelines for the evaluation and management of chronic heart failure in the adult: executive summary. A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Committee to Revise the 1995 Guidelines for the Evaluation and Management of Heart Failure),” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 2101–2113, 2001.
- P. Giannuzzi, “Recommendations for exercise training in chronic heart failure patients,” European Heart Journal, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 125–135, 2001.
- A. Tonkin, P. Barter, J. Best et al., “National heart foundation of Australia and the cardiac society of Australia and New Zealand: position statement on lipid management—2005,” Heart, Lung & Circulation, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 275–291, 2005.
- E. F. Philbin, T. A. Rocco Jr., N. W. Lindenmuth, K. Ulrich, and P. L. Jenkins, “Systolic versus diastolic heart failure in community practice: clinical features, outcomes, and the use of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 109, no. 8, pp. 605–613, 2000.
- D. Mancini, T. LeJemtel, and K. Aaronson, “Peak VO2: a simple yet enduring standard,” Circulation, vol. 101, no. 10, pp. 1080–1082, 2000.
- T. Kavanagh, D. J. Mertens, L. F. Hamm et al., “Peak oxygen intake and cardiac mortality in women referred for cardiac rehabilitation,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 42, no. 12, pp. 2139–2143, 2003.
- R. Belardinelli, D. Georgiou, G. Cianci, and A. Purcaro, “Randomized, controlled trial of long-term moderate exercise training in chronic heart failure: effects on functional capacity, quality of life, and clinical outcome,” Circulation, vol. 99, no. 9, pp. 1173–1182, 1999.
- R. S. McKelvie, K. K. Teo, R. Roberts et al., “Effects of exercise training in patients with heart failure: the Exercise Rehabilitation Trial (EXERT),” American Heart Journal, vol. 144, no. 1, pp. 23–30, 2002.
- T. Meyer, J. Scharhag, and W. Kindermann, “Peak oxygen uptake: myth and truth about an internationally accepted reference value,” Zeitschrift fur Kardiologie, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 255–264, 2005.
- U. Wisløff, A. Støylen, J. P. Loennechen et al., “Superior cardiovascular effect of aerobic interval training versus moderate continuous training in heart failure patients: a randomized study,” Circulation, vol. 115, no. 24, pp. 3086–3094, 2007.
- G. Malfatto, G. Branzi, G. Osculati et al., “Improvement in left ventricular diastolic stiffness induced by physical training in patients with dilated cardiomyopathy,” Journal of Cardiac Failure, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 327–333, 2009.
- S. Adamopoulos, A. J. S. Coats, F. Brunotte et al., “Physical training improves skeletal muscle metabolism in patients with chronic heart failure,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 1101–1106, 1993.
- S. Adamopoulos, J. Parissis, D. Karatzas et al., “Physical training modulates proinflammatory cytokines and the soluble Fas/soluble Fas ligand system in patients with chronic heart failure,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 653–663, 2002.
- V. M. Conraads, P. Beckers, J. Bosmans et al., “Combined endurance/resistance training reduces plasma TNF-α receptor levels in patients with chronic heart failure and coronary artery disease,” European Heart Journal, vol. 23, no. 23, pp. 1854–1860, 2002.
- A. Ferraz, E. A. Boochi, R. S. Meneghelo, I. I. Umeda, and N. Salvarane, “Sensitive C-reactive protein is reduced by exercise training in chronic heart failure patients: a prospective, randomized, controlled study,” Circulation, vol. 110, pp. 793–794, 2004.
- S. Gielen, V. Adams, S. Möbius-Winkler et al., “Anti-inflammatory effects of exercise training in the skeletal muscle of patients with chronic heart failure,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 861–868, 2003.
- A. I. Karavidas, K. G. Raisakis, J. T. Parissis et al., “Functional electrical stimulation improves endothelial function and reduces peripheral immune responses in patients with chronic heart failure,” European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 592–597, 2006.
- J. P. LeMaitre, S. Harris, K. A. A. Fox, and M. Denvir, “Change in circulating cytokines after 2 forms of exercise training in chronic stable heart failure,” American Heart Journal, vol. 147, no. 1, pp. 100–105, 2004.
- D. Xu, B. Wang, Y. Hou, H. Hui, S. Meng, and Y. Liu, “The effects of exercise training on plasma tumor necrosis factor-alpha, blood leucocyte and its components in congestive heart failure patients,” Zhonghua Nei Ke Za Zhi, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 237–240, 2002.
- B. K. Pedersen and M. A. Febbraio, “Muscle as an endocrine organ: focus on muscle-derived interleukin-6,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. 1379–1406, 2008.
- P. A. McCullough, “B-type natriuretic peptide and its clinical implications in heart failure,” The American heart hospital journal, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 26–33, 2004.
- P. Jourdain, F. Funck, E. Canault et al., “Value of brain peptide in the management of suspected cardiac failure in the emergency room,” Archives des Maladies du Coeur et des Vaisseaux, vol. 95, no. 9, pp. 763–767, 2002.
- N. A. Smart and M. Steele, “Systematic review of the effect of aerobic and resistance exercise training on systemic brain natriuretic peptide (BNP) and N-terminal BNP expression in heart failure patients,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 140, pp. 260–265, 2010.
- J. A. Butterfield, S. C. Faddy, P. Davidson, and B. Ridge, “Exercise training in patients with stable chronic heart failure: effects on thoracic impedance cardiography and B-type natriuretic peptide,” Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 33–37, 2008.
- S. Jónsdóttir, K. K. Andersen, A. F. Sigurosson, and S. B. Sigurosson, “The effect of physical training in chronic heart failure,” European Journal of Heart Failure, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 97–101, 2006.
- Uo. Toronto, “More on number needed to treat,” 2008, http://www.cebm.net/index.aspx?o=1025.
- A. Hjalmarson, S. Goldstein, B. Fagerberg et al., “Effects of controlled-release metoprolol on total mortality, hospitalizations, and well-being in patients with heart failure: the metoprolol CR/XL randomized intervention trial in congestive heart failure (MERIT-HF),” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 283, no. 10, pp. 1295–1302, 2000.
- B. Pitt, F. Zannad, W. J. Remme et al., “The effect of spironolactone on morbidity and mortality in patients with severe heart failure,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 341, no. 10, pp. 709–717, 1999.
- Website UoTEbm, “Glossary- moreon number needed to treat,” 2008, http://www.cebm.net/index.aspx?o=1025.
- P. D. Thompson, B. A. Franklin, G. J. Balady et al., “Exercise and acute cardiovascular events: placing the risks into perspective a scientific statement from the American Heart Association Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism and the Council on Clinical Cardiology,” Circulation, vol. 115, no. 17, pp. 2358–2368, 2007.
- K. M. Smith, H. M. Arthur, R. S. McKelvie, and J. Kodis, “Differences in sustainability of exercise and health-related quality of life outcomes following home or hospital-based cardiac rehabilitation,” European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 313–319, 2004.
- R. Hwang and T. Marwick, “Efficacy of home-based exercise programmes for people with chronic heart failure: a meta-analysis,” European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 527–535, 2009.